Two New FiiO DAP Models

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mrwolk, Jul 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting! Thread Starter

LivingForever likes this.
  2. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I'll be looking forward to these hitting the market and seeing the reviews start rolling in. I own a first generation X3 and a second generation X5 both of which I love.

ShallowMemory likes this.
  3. mrwolk

I also have the two models you mentioned as well as the X5 3rd Generation...of the three models..the X5 2nd gen is my favourite of the three...only advantage i can determine of the X3 Mark III is the Bluetooth feature and price point.

4. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

While the X3 III looks amazing, I'll probably have to pass. I've gotten too used to having two micro SD cards running at once. It looks like a huge upgrade though.

Probably prudent, as always, to let these go through a few firmware updates before jumping though.

EDIT: @mrwolk , why do you prefer the X5 II to the III?

5. mrwolk

Runicen...i prefer the simpler UI...the ease of swapping the microSD cards...my cards do not exceed 64gb...like to have separate cards dedicated to different genres of music. Most of the music i listen to primarily plays in the background as i read or do stuff on the computer...so although the X5III has a better sound..i find myself using the II generation more. I agree with you that it's probably prudent to let the new models become stable through the firmware updates.

Runicen likes this.
  6. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

How is the UI on the X5 III? I've heard some passing remarks about clumsy implementation of touch screen and Android OS, but nothing really specific about what people didn't like. I can appreciate what you like about the X5 II, but shiny new gadgets are kind of my weakness and I may end up taking the leap before too long.

Ah, who am I kidding? I love my II. Only real concern I have is how long that battery will keep kicking butt and taking names. Unlike the iPod ecosystem, it's not like spare parts are easy to find out in the wild.

7. mrwolk

The UI on the X5 III takes awhile to get use to as compared to the other models...i primarily stick to the music function of the player and the only Android 'app' i access is Spotify. The major complaint about FiiO that i see posted on the internet is if you get stuck with a player with problems you have to send back to them in China..which will cost a lot in shipping...i think FiiO will have to set up authorised repair centres around the World in order to compete with Apple etc. I contacted FiiO awhile back and mentioned this...they replied and said they had a service centre in California but i haven't found any contact info. In their favour i have read on their website forum offering to provide replacement parts for their devices if someone wanted to attempt their own repairs or get someone who had a knowledge of the devices to do it.
    Unlike the iPod...there are two screws on the bottom of the FiiO devices that enable you to have access to the inside of the player.
    Fortunately the three devices i own..purchased last Dec and March respectively are working flawlessly (so far!)...and i'm enjoying them a lot as compared to my iPods.
    Sound being the major difference...battery life has also been great.

Rupe33 and Runicen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.