Two of the Rarest, Most Coveted PIONEER ELITE components in one place...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MacGyver, Jan 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martyn

Martyn Forum Resident

I have a Pioneer Elite A-91D amplifier which I have been using since 1990, and it's been great!

Walter Koehler and GuildX700 like this.
  2. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Yup, I have one too, I dread having to even pick it up and move it. What a hulk.

3. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

Strange to just see this thread. I was just browsing Ebay and came across this... Pioneer Elite Hi Fi / M73 / C73 / PD75 | eBay

Doesnt say Elite on the front panels but o dont know much about these. Did they remove the Elite branding on some?

4. Walter Koehler

Walter Koehler Forum Resident

. Aloha
    I like copper that's why I picked up today from the costums
    Another great sounding amp Pioneer A-200 aka A-90 lots of copper inside kind of poor men's Pioneer exclusive and elite series
    Strongly recommended :edthumbs:
    Cheers
    Wally

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bluemooze and GuildX700 like this.
  5. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I believe the A-35R stereo integrated amp had a glossy front fascia.

6. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Nope. I have owned a few Pioneer Elite gear in the 80s/90s and none had the Elite branding. My A88x amp also did not have the rosewood panels (thank God).

This is in Australia so I'm not sure if it is a regional thing.

7. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

Before the Plasma's the Pioneer Pro series RPTV's were at the top of the heap for TV's. The Pioneer DV-o9 and 05 were the oppo's of their time. Still have my Pioneer plasma. Still hard to beat the picture.

8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

These were released 2 or 3 years years before the actual Elite line was released, basically the same except for the name.

9. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

93 in the background though right?

10. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Can't see it good enough. At any rate the older PD-91 sounded better than the newer 73 or 93 did or the 65 for that matter.

11. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

Pioneer doesn't use the Elite badge in Europe 'though markets some Elite products here. My Pioneer SC LX76 A/V receiver from 2012 was sold with the Elite badge in The US (I think it had a different reference number also) but it doesn't in Europe.

12. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

You're right - assumption in a hurry on my part

13. 575maranello

575maranello Forum Resident

I have a Pioneer elite plasma Tv I bought about 10 years ago.
    Still the best TV I have ever owned.

14. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

My first big audio buy back in my late teens

[​IMG]

I also had an LD player that was a special Canadian model (I forget the model) it was a special edition and was an Elite inside but the casework was regular Pioneer shell for considerably less money than the Elite. For the life of me I can't remember the number. I do remember it was not a flipper model only playing one side. Unfortunately once it broke down DVD was in full swing and with only about 50 movies - it wasn't really worth buying another one. And the receiver like all receivers rely on the latest surround technology and so the Pioneer was soon obsolete. I traded it and a Boston acoustics Subwoofer in for the highly raved about Arcam Delta 290 Integrated amplifier. I should have purchased the Sugden A21a but I stupidly trusted reviews over my own ears.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Walter Koehler likes this.
  15. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Pioneer USA had parallel product lines, for example the CTS-800 cassette deck was the same Elite CT-91 deck only minus the faux wood side panels.

As far as all of the Elite receivers, IMO they did not deserve the Elite badge, they had the looks outside but not the guts inside.

16. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Would you know what was the USA equivalent to the A-88X amp.

This was one of the best amps I have owned. I cried when it was stolen.

Pioneer A-88X - Manual - Stereo Integrated Amplifier - HiFi Engine

17. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Now that's a nice rack

18. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

2007 is when these came out

19. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

O

One of these beasts is on my local cl right now very tempting

20. Walter Koehler

Walter Koehler Forum Resident

Aloha Rentz

Just grab him if the price is right :righton:

Cheers
    Wally

21. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

$450 usd, looks unrestored

just noticed its a 2 month old listing...probably long gone :(

22. Richard Austen

That's not entirely true - there was a regular version of the VSX 95 but the 95 did use an all copper underbelly and bigger caps (and what they referred to as premium parts). And it was the same price (at least in Canada it was the same price) as the regular version so you'd be crazy not to buy the Elite for the same price.

Let's not get too excited about the term Elite - Pioneer Elite wasn't exactly a major step up on any item versus competing brands for similar dollars. Other than Laserdiscs and their stable platter mechanisms in their CD players there was nothing else from them worth buying in retrospect. Nakamichi made much better tape machines as did others. I suppose you could make a good case for the stable platter CD players but probably only if used them as a transport. I enjoyed my 3 head CTS 709 tape deck for the money though. That thing was a great deal. Supposedly an Elite in disguise (or the same thing without the fancy side panels).

23. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Totally disagree, the Pioneer Elite CT 91 or CT 93 cassette decks easily bettered Nak's best offerings in decks.

Been there, done that.

Richard Austen likes this.
  24. Richard Austen

I'll take your word for it since I never compared the Dragon directly against the Pioneer Elites. Although at the time I began in this hobby it was always Nakamichi Dragon this and Nakamichi Dragon that. as the end all and be all of tape decks. It sounded darn good but it was one of the butt ugliest machines ever. If the CT 91 and 93 are better as you say then you get a double win because those Pioneer tape decks are gorgeous.

If I had any reason to buy a tape deck I could talk myself into buying one second hand (heck just to look at the thing on the shelf).

25. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Any truly honest Nak fan (not Dragon fan, mind you) will admit ( at least in secret) the Dragon is not THE BEST sounding of the Nak line. Fancy, coveted, most expensive, but best sounding, nope. Far from it, it had poor frequency response with an embarrassingly big sag starting at about 1k and really drooping by 5k on out. That's why some folks love it, very warm sounding, but far from accurate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.