TY SEGALL - The Last Rock N Roll Star

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Boswell, Dec 12, 2017.

1. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Love Ty.......Manipulator is genius and his self titled album from earlier this year is in my top ten.

Boswell likes this.
  2. cacaaaaaaw

cacaaaaaaw Forum Resident

How do Manipulator and S/T vinyl sound? I've only heard what's available on Spotify and need to amend that soon.

3. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

New, double album, "Freedom's Goblin", due this Friday, 1/19/18!

[​IMG]

1. Fanny Dog 3:39
    2. Rain 4:05
    3. Every 1's a Winner 4:18
    4. Despoiler of Cadaver 3:52
    5. When Mommy Kills You 2:47
    6. My Lady's on Fire 3:52
    7. Alta 4:07
    8. Meaning 3:06
    9. Cry Cry Cry 3:12
    10. Shoot You Up 3:20
    11. You Say All the Nice Things 4:22
    12. The Last Waltz 2:24
    13. She 6:22
    14. Prison 1:06
    15. Talkin 3 2:02
    16. The Main Pretender 2:59
    17. I'm Free 2:42
    18. 5 Ft. Tall 4:33
    19. And, Goodnight 12:02
    Looks like a nice hodgepodge of styles he does well.

4. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident Thread Starter

Cool! Thank you for the reminder.

5. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

Great news! But everywhere I look they have Jan. 26th as the release date.

slop101 likes this.
  6. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

Never heard the s/t but Manipulator sounds great on vinyl to my ears.

7. cacaaaaaaw

cacaaaaaaw Forum Resident

Thanks, that's the one I've been leaning towards.

8. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Oops, you're right. Sorry!

This is what stinks about not being able to edit your post here after a while.

9. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

The new double album, Freedom's Goblin, is streaming in all its fuzzed out glory over at NPR.

10. swazzyswess

swazzyswess Forum Resident

New LP showed up a few days early and I can't wait to dig in later tonight! I haven't listened to the NPR stream in full, but every track seems really solid so far. Kind of a Manipulator 2 as far as the variety goes, but it seems like there's even MORE variety and that it's all pulled off well.

Boswell likes this.
  11. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

Ty rules and the new album is superb! I have my preorder in for it on release day. "Alta" alone is worth the purchase. Going to see him in a few months in Toronto too.

Boswell likes this.
  12. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Love Ty, have a handful of his albums. Somewhere out on the web is a gonzo performance he did on local Chicago daytime TV that is not to be missed. I like the album he did jointly with White Fence. Also his Sleeper album reminds me at times of a John Lennon solo album in some of its more stripped down moments. Good stuff, new fans can dive in about anywhere.

Boswell likes this.
  13. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident Thread Starter

14. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I pre-ordered the new LP as well. Not shipped yet from amazon.ca though.

15. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Ty Seagall is fab. One of the few artists of his generation
    playing original neo-60s/70s music that totally "gets it":

CrombyMouse and Boswell like this.
  16. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

What's great about the new album is that, although it's all over the map stylistically, it never comes off as mere pastiche. Segall sounds invested, musically and emotionally, in every song. From T Rex to James Chance, he means it.

17. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

That new album is fantastic , a confirmation once again that Ty is a unique and very very gifted songwriter . the production , those horns and now new funky feel arrangements in particular are great . i hope he can convey all that live cause everytime i see him , the band plays Motorhead style which gets boring quite fast

18. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

New record is fantastically varied and has great production, plus excellent mastering by John Golden. A real classic double album, check it out if you want new old-school rock that isn’t a copy and is written and performed with skill

19. swazzyswess

swazzyswess Forum Resident

Totally agreed on the production. The less heavy tracks in particular sound pristine with great instrument separation. The fuzzier tracks do seem a bit overly smoothed out (thick, blanket-like fuzz versus jagged, raw distortion), but it does make the transitions from soft to heavy less jarring.

20. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

I like ty, we all jack white is the last rock star though. Ty is the last to break through from garage punk scene to the frat part scene

21. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

if you like Hendrix or 70s rock starting going backwards would be best. If you like noisey garage, like mummies or Jay Reatard start from the beginning, like black Sabbath, start with FUZZ

krlpuretone and woody like this.
  22. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

That early singles comp on Goner records is mindblowing , classics after classics , reminds me of The Gories at their peak .

23. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

Yeah, that performance is great.. in fact it's well worth checking out any of the tour concerts on youtube - they played pretty much the whole album live.

I don't get the (relative) dislike for Emotional Mugger in his fanbase, it's a great sick album.. almost like a Trump-era update of early Devo. He even put out a long-form promo video for the album that's pretty de-evolutionary too...

Boswell and notesofachord like this.
  24. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

one of my personal favourites too for sure ….. i saw him twice on this tour in small clubs ….. i'm in the audience here …. a basement club called 'parts and labour' … it was so packed i could hardly see him, but it didn't matter the music was glorious …. big fat tube amps hitting you in the chest ….

Ty Segall @ Parts + Labour Toronto August 15, 2010

this one is another personal favourite, from 'manipulator'

Ty Segall - The Hand

btw this album is fantastic on vinyl ! (hell, 'melted' sounds better on vinyl too)

here's one more ….. the title track from 'goodbye bread'

Ty Segall - Goodbye Bread (Official Video)

Boswell and Beatnik_Daddyo'73 like this.
  25. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

i think 'manipulator' sounds great on vinyl. i have it on cd as well. i even think 'lemons' and 'melted' sound better on vinyl and those are rather rough sounding recordings.

the lacquer for 'manipulator' was cut at golden mastering, and pressed at RTI !

Ty Segall - Manipulator

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018