TY SEGALL - The Last Rock N Roll Star

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Boswell, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

Y’know what’s weird but pretty cool when I listen to this album? I don’t drink, I don’t smoke and I don’t do drugs but I used to love a spliff or ten in my slightly younger days (it just doesn’t agree with my brain any more!), but when I get to the end of this record, I swear I get full on red eye! I know good music reaches the same part of the brain that triggers the reward sensation but it seriously makes me feel like I’m a bit stoned! It’s not an all together unpleasant sensation as I don’t get the other side effects that I get with the real thing but it’s still a pretty strange side effect

Boswell and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  2. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Indeed he does.

dlemaudit and Beatnik_Daddyo'73 like this.
  3. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Not strictly on topic but, speaking of Cronin, we're about due for a new solo album from him, no?

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  4. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...yessSS!! :cool::thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  5. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

.Cronin does all the horns arrangements too when the full brass section is on
    this sax riff on the chorus of "Fanny Dog" is so clever and addictive .
    and that song , "My lady's on fire " is so pure , should be a mega hit

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  6. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...this!

Picked the CD up on my way home. Immediately those were my favorite tracks... would love a full album of stuff like “Talkin’ 3” and “The Main Pretender”. This album is a nice surprise, a grower and one I’ll be listening to for a long while.

7. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

When I say I don't like horns, I don't mean I don't like just these horns, but ALL horns, period!
    Even Miles Davis and John Coltrane are like nails on a chalkboard to me.

8. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Get "hair"- ty w white fence. Next to goodbye bread it's my favorite album of his. Kicks ass!!

9. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I don't even think this thing about sounding like T.Rex is really true. Even his T.Rex covers do not sound that much like T.Rex. I can count many musical references on his album and he weaves them into his songs in a skillful, menaingful and creative way. There's an intelligence to his music that I find in few working in rock-pop. Ariel Pink being one of them, 2 Square Y? being another.

10. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, in many of his more recent songs he's doing a dead-on Marc Bolan impression with his vocal so I can't agree

11. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Which ones?

12. Boswell

Well, pretty much every song since "Manipulator." You seriously don't hear it? I laugh out loud sometimes it's so apparent. I'm not criticizing, i like both artists, but it's a bit heavy-handed.

13. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Glad you find it so funny. His singing on Manipulator is not like Marc Bolan. Some vocals on Emotional Mugger have a superficial Bolan-inspired delivery on the vowels but his voice still does not sound like Marc Bolan, to me. Also, the music is nothing like T.Rex's sound. There is one song on Manipulator that has Electric Warrior strings. The others songs draw from other 60s or 70s acts. I kind of think it does him a disservice to compare him to T.Rex.

14. Boswell

I kind of think you're getting bent out of shape for no reason. Ty singing like Bolan isn't the end of the world.

15. swazzyswess

swazzyswess Forum Resident

I agree with all of this. I've always thought the Ty-Bolan vocal comparisons were a bit strange. I guess they both have a nasal quality, but Bolan's singing style is generally much softer, less forceful.

16. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

As a big fan of both, you're way way overstating the Bolan comparison. There's a similarity of tone, that's it.

Graham likes this.
  17. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

You're right, if he did sing like Bolan, it wouldn't be the end of the world. And I guess it also wouldn't be the end of the world if he didn't. :)

Boswell likes this.
  18. Boswell

Cone on guys! Ty even does the goat-like vibrato that is pure Bolan . . . anyway, i admit I might be slightly overstating but i think you all are experiencing a slight case of denial :)

dlemaudit and mr.datsun like this.
  19. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

Cheers for the recommendation. It’s my birthday soon so I’m looking for inspiration for stuff on my wish list so my mum can have some choices :)

20. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I really like Ty Segall. And I grew up with Bolan. I'm glad people still find inspiration in him. :)

Purplefowler and Boswell like this.
  21. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Listening more and more to Freedom's Goblin, and it just gets better and better with each listen.

After being thoroughly disappointed with the new Jack White album, it's become apparent that Segall has taken the mantel of "Oddball Rock & Roll Impresario" away from White and has the fire that is no longer with White.

22. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

Ty Segall can easily make albums as good as 'De Stijl', but I doubt Jack could make an album as psychotic & Devo-esque as 'Emotional Mugger' - let alone tour the album with an unhinged series of concerts, playing that character to the hilt.

Boswell likes this.
  23. swazzyswess

swazzyswess Forum Resident

Saw Ty in Minneapolis on Saturday, second time seeing him but the first time with him on guitar (last time was for the Muggers tour). Man.... such a great show. This band is in top form and I hope Ty sticks with them for the foreseeable future. The new songs sounded great, but the highlight for me was them starting the encore with The Crawler. Also, They Told Me Too never stood out on Twins for me, but live? It is a force to be reckoned with. Dammit, I want to see them again ASAP.

gillcup likes this.
  24. takashimizutani

takashimizutani Active Member

Saw the show last night in Brooklyn

Fantastic stuff

25. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

I concur. Sean Lennon was also there.