TY SEGALL - The Last Rock N Roll Star

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Boswell, Dec 12, 2017.

1. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

He's doing an acoustic tour in the coming months.

Cassius likes this.
  2. Corey.h

Corey.h Well-Known Member

Throwing in my love for Ty as well. I saw him twice in Texas during Levitation in April - first was in Dallas with Sextile (not my speed), second was with Ron Gallo/The Nude party, and those kids have FUN. The crows at the second show was fantastic and the environment was top notch.

To be honest I wasn't a big fan of the Muggers material or Freedom's Goblin. The distortion gets to the point where it's almost...Idk...digital? It's just not my favorite sound. I sincerely love just about everything else he's done and am excited he turns out new material out such rapid speeds. He posted a new song within the last few days which seems to be a return to his older sound and it's great.

3. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Oh schitt!! New ty segall/white fence lp is coming later this year. Yeah baby!

4. Creole Gris-Gris

Creole Gris-Gris Shoe-String Budget Audiophile

Couldn't help but place this here, favorite song from him.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  5. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

Gotta love the guy's work ethic.. doesn't compromise in quality either.

6. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

That's fantastic news. I love the more experimental stuff Tim has been doing with Cate Le Bon lately, but I miss White Fence.

Mugrug12 and Radardog like this.
  7. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Never really got into much of Ty's stuff (except Fuzz, which was awesome), but I finally got around to checking out Freedom's Goblin this week and holy sh!t, I wasn't expecting this! Excellent record.

Now I'm kinda bummed I missed him when he passed through Denver recently.

8. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I'm listening to Freedom's Goblin for the first time at this very moment. On wax, of course.

9. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Had a go at making a single album version...

Side A (22:19):
    01. Fanny Dog
    02. Every 1's a Winner
    03. My Lady's On Fire
    04. Rain
    05. She

Side B (23:27)
    01. Alta
    02. 5 Ft. Tall
    03. I'm Free
    04. And, Goodnight

realkilroy likes this.
  10. notesofachord

Nice call on including "She". That one is just epic heaviness incarnate. It ripped my head off when I saw them play it live. Mosh pit? Yes.

I'd have to find a spot for "The Main Pretender" on my version. It's such a nice piece of weirdo funk-rock. I'm also partial to the Bolan-esque psych of "You Say All the Nice Things".

11. Corey.h

Corey.h Well-Known Member

'She' is such a killer song.

Had a conversation at the record store last week where the person behind the counter had heard of Ty, but not Fuzz. I brought in the Sunderberry Dreams 7" for them to listen to yesterday and I think it was received pretty well. I think it's just accepted that if you like fuzz rock the Schizoid Man cover is going to get you stoked.

12. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

I really rate Ty. I have "Manipulator " and "Freedom's Goblin" both great albums. Plus anyone who rocks a cover of Hot Chocolate's "Every 1s a winner" Is cool as and has a wicked sense of humor.

13. notesofachord

I now own most of his post 2009 stuff on vinyl (I still need the Mr. Face EP), but still haven't delved into his early stuff. I'll probably grab $ingles and $ingle$ 2 at some point.

14. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

He's amazingly prolific with very little let up in quality. A really impressive artist.

Boswell and notesofachord like this.
  15. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  16. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

17. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

Just listening to it now and it’s great, proper slice of psyche pie. Sadly I reckon most reviews are just comparing it to freedoms goblin but this is a different animal. I’d say it is a more straight up psyche album which I guess isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but I’m loving it. My copy has a slight wobble but nothing to worry me, and it sounds great, quiet pressing and the sound is coming out of everywhere. If you like ty, I’d definitely recommend picking it up. I’m going to have to check out white fences now as I know nothing about him

Tristero, TerpStation and swazzyswess like this.
  18. Danby Delight

I honestly like him better than Ty. You have much to enjoy.

For the Recently Found Innocent is my personal favorite.

19. swazzyswess

swazzyswess Forum Resident

Yes, this album is actual pysch rock! That label gets tossed around so much nowadays, and I dont think it even applies to a lot of Ty stuff (or a lot of recent garage stuff, for that matter). This album is the real deal though. My only complaint is I wish some of the songs were longer, which is one of the best complaints to have IMO.

Man, that album is one of my favorites from the last 5 years or so. Not a weak track on the whole thing, and it sounds great (especially for a White Fence album!). I heard John Dwyer say he's working on *something* with Tim for Castleface, but he didnt reveal whether it was a new White Fence, solo Tim album, or something else entirely. I'd love a new proper White Fence album though.

TerpStation and Purplefowler like this.
  20. Danby Delight

A personal favorite:

Mugrug12, cevans121 and polchik like this.
  21. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Just got the new Ty w/ White Fence vinyl. Listened through it once, liked it, but need to listen more - pretty sure it'll get better with repeated listenings. It's all over the place, in a good way.

22. notesofachord

I'm glad that Ty isn't just becoming "Mr. Classic Rock Guy". I mean, Manipulator was his most trad rock album that he had done to that point and gained him a lot of new fans. So, he goes and makes Manipulator II, right? Wrong. Instead we get the mutant Devo-meets-Beefheart garage-punk of Emotional Mugger. Then 2017's Ty Segall gets even more classic rock in style. So what does he do? A double album, Freedom's Goblin, which is all over the map stylistically. Now, he returns to the alt-psych stuff with White Fence.

Variety.
    Unpredictability.
    Quantity.
    Quality.

Love the guy. :thumbsup:

Boswell, Flippikat, Tristero and 3 others like this.
  23. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Don't mean this as a knock on Joy, because I absolutely love the thing, but I couldn't help think how dang cruel some of those songs were in leaving us so soon after setting up some pretty cool headspace to live inside. I coulda used more.

Mugrug12 and notesofachord like this.
  24. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

What do you guys think of Ty's punk band, GØGGS?

They're playing a local venue soon and was wondering it they're worth checking out.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  25. swazzyswess

swazzyswess Forum Resident

Some of the songs from their first album are really memorable, but I can only take so much of the Ex-Cult dude's vocals. I find them extremely monotonous. I'd love for Ty to do more backing vocals (or even main vocals) on the new album.