U.S. Revolver?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Keith V, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slane

slane Forum Resident

Because the Y&T album already had 6 previously released singles tracks on it. Hence why they requested 3 new tracks rather than put more singles on there.

2. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

My point was a criticism that they did not put Paperback Writer and Rain on ANY US album (meaning of course before the Hey Jude singles compilation, an effort I did not like).

On can argue with that Yesterday and Today was a sort of singles compilation mixed with the five album cuts. it might have made more sense to continue that singles compilation concept and include Rain and PW on it, but I would think the more critical consideration especially for Rain is that it SOUNDS more like Revolver than what was done before.

Keith V and Bingo Bongo like this.
  3. slane

slane Forum Resident

They were probably saving them for the next album, but things changed.

nikh33, notesfrom and Keith V like this.
  4. Hardy Melville

The following sequence would fit nicely on a single cd:

Drive My Car
    Nowhere Man
    If I Needed Someone
    Day Tripper
    We Can Work it Out
    Paperback Writer
    Rain
    Taxman
    Eleanor Rigby
    I’m Only Sleeping
    Love You Too
    Here, There, Everywhere
    She Said She Said
    For No One
    And Your Bird Can Sing
    I Want to Tell You
    Doctor Robert
    Good Day Sunshine
    Tomorrow Never Knows

Possible Extras

Yesterday and Act Naturally (before UK Help album, preceded this period)
    What Goes On? (from UK RS, not sure it fits here)
    Yellow Submarine (on film’s album later)
    Got To Get You Into My Life (don’t like this)

notesfrom likes this.
  5. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

That's funny, I prefer the UK version better, but heard the Canadian/US version first.

I have absolutely no love for what Capitol did to Beatles records except for MMT. And that was out of necessity, as Capitol don't generally do EP's and there was a whole bunch of singles waiting to be picked in '67.

6. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

They ultimately sold way more because of geography so I'm not complaining and EMI needed them to present the band to the states in a way they saw fit to ensure the fullest of success.
    This goes for the mixes as well.

7. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

I preferred the U.S. Revolver when I didn't know the U.K. one existed.

forthlin and Bingo Bongo like this.
  8. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I understand someone who has grown up with the US track list is conditioned to that version and prefers it because of that. Other than that, there's no reason why someone should prefer a maimed version of a masterpiece like this.

As for people defending the US Rubber Soul-Yesterday & Today-Revolver sequence: the problem with that is, Y&T is a mess, the worst Capitol hodge-podge. Curiously enough, it has great material, maybe one of the best in a Capitol album, but the flow and sequencing, the cut and paste is so wrong... How can you insert "Act Naturally" in the same album with "I'm Only Sleeping"? It's like two different bands.

That sequence of three albums totally disrupts the incredible progression in Beatles music which represents the duo Rubber Soul-Revolver, their creative peak. Tampering with that is a musical sin on Capitol's part. I accept that the US Rubber Soul is a nice alternative, inferior to the authentic RS, of course, but it works as a more confined to acoustics album. The two tracks from Help! sit nicely in the album, and the flow is correct. But Y&T-Revolver... a real butchery.

Bingo Bongo, simond9x and Diego Lucas like this.
  9. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I agree with you 100% regarding the geography, but everyone knows the US mixes were 2nd rate.

10. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident Thread Starter

Someone should start a thread "how the hodgepodge nature of yesterday and today inspired the white album".

I would do it myself but I've caused enough trouble :)

11. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

That's like comparing a well-made salad to a plate in which you just throw random ingredients as they are. :shh:

nikh33 and Keith V like this.
  12. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Yeah, but that doesn't change my opinion that the US discography didn't need messing with in the first place, and that the UK Revolver is still an even better album with "I'm Only Sleeping" on it. I'd much rather have that song on Revolver than on some less consistent compilation.

13. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

No way. The UK Revolver has a nice handful of Lennon songs that ended up on "Yesterday...and Today", making THAT record a great listen. The US Revolver, while lite on Lennon and heavy on Harrison and McCartney, is decent, but the UK version is superior.

Diego Lucas, DK Pete and Keith V like this.
  14. Hardy Melville

People are entitled to their opinions, and I agree the UK version of Revolver is superior. But no general rule requires condemnation of the US versions of other albums. I am not only concerned with what, to me, is the obviously superior flow of the US Rubber Soul. You also have perhaps the best early Beatles album in The Beatles Second album, and on Meet the Beatles the opening of I Want to Hold Your Hand.

A significant problem with the UK versions was that they more often did not put singles tracks on LP's, and in those days the sonic quality of 45's was vastly inferior to LP's. Capitol more often, but imo did not enough, added singles tracks to LP's. Yes singles did make their way on to UK versions. But if you wanted to hear She Loves You, I Feel Fine, Yesterday and a number of others on the better sounding LP, you had to wait until A Collection of Beatles Oldies was released all the way at the end of 66. That doesn't matter to people today for a number of reasons, but it needs to be taken into account when people criticize Capitol's approach. On the whole, the US fan had it better at the time.

Keith V likes this.
  15. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Stop! Stop! Stop! It's the futile attempt to unscramble scrambled eggs. Just be glad you had something good to listen to no matter what version. Things aren't perfect,yesterday or today, and tomorrow never knows.

msza likes this.
  16. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Indeed. No matter what, Beatles songs sound good eight days a week.

Keith V and Fender Relic like this.
  17. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Having a song like Here, There and Everywhere alongside songs like IOS, TNK and Yellow Submarine is exactly what makes Revolver the brilliantly eclectic album that it is.

nikh33, ohnothimagen and Keith V like this.
  18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...but we MIGHT be able to make a case for the U.S. Rubber Soul being better or at LEAST as good as the U.K. version...but that be another thread.:tiphat:

wiseblood and Keith V like this.
  19. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident Thread Starter

Probably ten threads :)

But yeah. I like U. S. Rubber Soul better.

DK Pete likes this.
  20. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I like them equally for different reasons. The U.K. version speaks for itself as a beautifully sequenced album of strong, mature Pop/Rock songwriting/arranging /recording. The U.S. version brings to the fore the "wooden" flavored Beatles better than any album had done before or since. And again, very effective sequencing. If I had to pick just two American Beatle albums in which Capitol got it truly "right" (save for MMT which is largely a compilation), they'd be Meet The Beatles and Rubber Soul. Each one perfectly conveys 'The Beatles" in each of their respective time periods as well as any of the U.K.'s.

21. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

I'm all about that argument, all day and every day.

US Rubber Soul reflects the earthy tones of the cover and clothes they are wearing, taking a song that was essentially a hidden throw away on the B side of "Help!" and placing it first on the US version of this album. "I've Just Seen A Face" is a WAY better choice than "Drive My Car". "Drive My Car" almost makes the listener think they are in for a rock record and then that all gets pulled back once the album starts to soar a bit.

I put US Rubber Soul on my list of favorite US releases: Second Album, Rubber Soul, and Yesterday...and Today.

22. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

o_O

23. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Now that you mention it...both Yesterday And Today and the U.S. Revolver were "prepared for release in the U.S.A." by Bill Miller. So blame him:laugh:
    Beatles '65 is a good 'un too- the Beatles For Sale material used benefits from the addition of "I Feel Fine", "She's A Woman" and -especially- "I'll Be Back" which despite being from the Hard Days Night period fits with the BFS songs like a glove.

musicfan37 and Hardy Melville like this.
  24. Price.pittsburgh

The reverb on some of the tracks gave the songs a much deeper or cooler feel.
    Especially I'll Be Back

25. Price.pittsburgh

No worse than the UK Rubber Soul having What Goes On and Nowhere Man.

Hardy Melville likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.