U.S. Revolver?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Keith V, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

No. It's the only US album that just has fewer songs. And since John sings lead on all 3 it makes the album lopsided to me. It's just weird.

2. Chance

Chance Forum Resident

If they'd swapped "Yellow Submarine" for "Rain" there might've been some slight argument in somebody's mind for it, but as it is, no. What's to prefer??

vonwegen likes this.
  3. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

yes I can ......the subtle little differences make it interesting. There are alt mixes used (on early pressings at least) which a collector, completest enjoys just like those who appreciate the mono/stereo differences.

4. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

It's never made sense to me that Brian Epstein and George Martin would willingly send the Lennon songs to the US for Yesterday and Today.
    Revolver was only six weeks from release when Y&T came out. If they were anxious for more tracks why not add Paperback Writer and Rain, that was the double A side current single after all.

5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

My 3rd fav, after Y&T and US Rubber Soul. Stereo version, with reverb.

John Porcellino and Keith V like this.
  6. agundy

agundy Forum Resident

I much prefer the US Revolver...and Rubber Soul...

Fender Relic likes this.
  7. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Grew up with US Revolver - first heard it at age 2 or 3 thanks to siblings. Did not hear UK Revolver until the CDs with UK configurations came out in US, which was 1987 (when I was 20).

So I too spent a good long time with US Revolver (and all the other US configured albums).

I can't say US Revolver is any better than UK Revolver for the tracks that are missing. But I have the US running order of all those early albums so ingrained in my head that I find the UK order jarring at times. I realize this answer is rather specific to me, but it's as true as I can make it.

8. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Specific to you and the vast majority of people who listened to Revolver before 1987.

9. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Not just US Revolver, all the US LPs. But more so with US Rubber Soul and US Revolver (and also Beatles VI). Meet the Beatles and Beatles '65 (and US Help! if you strip away the instrumentals) each had stretches of several songs in which the order matched the corresponding UK releases of those songs on those LPs. But there are other places in the US LPs (e.g. Side 2 of Second Album) that are mostly comprised of UK singles or things that weren't released on UK LP at the time.

Believe me I have tried with the UK LP running order. It's been nearly 30 years now since 1987.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  10. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

How much time have you got?

If you can't spare even a half hour I can - I'll give you the full US Revolver

If you've more time than that, I'll give you the UK Revolver.

There's often times I'm limited for time before I have to leave, and I'm looking to hear a whole album that's very short. Not that the short Revolver would be my first choice though.

notesfrom and Keith V like this.
  11. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Well said.

I actually heard the correct UK albums first and later discovered how well many of the US albums flowed and how they offered tracks or mixes not found on the UK albums. I now prefer many of the US albums.

It's all well and good to insist that that the UK albums are the only worthy ones and that artist intention trumps all. Yet ultimately, what was put in record racks is what was put in record store racks, and what one grew up loving is what one grew up loving. It seems to me that preference of choice is less important than the fact that the albums left a lasting mark and brought un-imagined success to the Beatles here in America. It shouldn't matter if Mickey Mouse sequenced one of the Capitol albums. Those albums were what we had and it's safe to say they did "alright"... :)

12. No, no and no. The U.S. version is heavy on the Paul and light on the John due to the stripped off tracks for Yesterday and Today. I grew up listening to my sister's US version. Thank goodness when I could finally get the UK versions of their catalog. About the only thing I missed were the false starts of "I'm Looking Through You" on the US version of Rubber Soul. If "Paperback Writer" and "Rain" were on Revolver, this would be my track list. Each side would very close to the same time length. Eight tracks on each side, no two of the same lead singer in a row. Rather daring to lead off each side without either John or Paul (or both) singing lead. I know Yellow Submarine catches some flak around these parts, but I find it a charming, innocuous, fun song. It's Ritchie's showcase vocal on the album and the band sounds like they had a good time making it.

Side 1
    Taxman - G
    Paperback Writer - P
    And Your Bird Can Sing - J
    Eleanor Rigby - P
    Love You Too - G
    She Said She Said - J
    Here, There and Everywhere - P
    Rain - J

Side 2
    Yellow Submarine - R
    Good Day Sunshine - P
    I'm Only Sleeping - J
    For No One - P
    I Want To Tell You - G
    Doctor Robert - J
    Got To Get You Into My Life - P
    Tomorrow Never Knows - J

13. 905

905 Senior Member

No, even though I'm a big fan of the Capitols. If they would've just stuck Rain on it I'd be happy though.

14. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

I only knew the US Revolver from when I was 13 until 16 or 17. The three missing tracks I knew of course from Yesterday and Today, but when I got the UK Revolver sometime around 1974, it was a revelation. I still hear those three "extra" tracks as bonuses. To top it all off, And Your Bird Can Sing is easily my favorite song on the album, to me it alone makes the argument that the UK version is better.

Keith V likes this.
  15. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident Thread Starter

Great way to put it "extra tracks as bonuses".

I like how on the YS Songtrack they put Rigby and Love You To back to back as a nod to the US Album. Albeit, probably not on purpose.

BeSteVenn likes this.
  16. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Um...it gives you an extra 7 minutes and 9 seconds to do something else? It won't make you quite as sad if you spin it on December 8?

I got nothing.

spindly, Chip TRG, Oatsdad and 3 others like this.
  17. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Having grown up with the UK Cd Release, I was mighty disappointed to get the copy of Revolver I'd found second-hand on vinyl, to find out it didn't have one of my favorite songs on it in "I'm Only Sleeping", being the US LP version.

18. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

No advantage to the US version. The songs that got transposed were some of my favorites on the album. Of course, I grew up with the UK releases already being the norm in America. But if you really don't have 7mins and 9s to spare for the BEATLES, don't listen to a Beatles album if you're so short on time :)

19. Hey - but give 'em credit for having the foresight to put those aside for the wonderfully thought out and cohesive Hey Jude collection to come later courtesy of Mr. Klein...:rolleyes:

Keith V likes this.
  20. Keith V

Drive My Car
    Rain
    Nowhere Man
    Yesterday
    Act Naturally
    Day Tripper

What Goes On
    Paperback Writer
    We Can Work It Out
    If I Needed Someone
    I'm Down

Steve E. and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  21. slane

slane Forum Resident

Problem: all but two songs had already been released in the US - IMO, that's probably why the 3 Revolver songs were requested.

Steve E. and Keith V like this.
  22. Keith V

You've got a point. Oh well. I love Yesterday and Today as it is anyway :)

Classicolin and slane like this.
  23. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

I was disappointed that they didn't let Dave Dexter Jr. and his team of expert remastering engineers add copious amounts of reverb on songs such as "Eleanor Rigby" and "For No One". That would have made the album much more exciting when played back on my Zenith "Circle Of Sound" stereo....

24. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

No, it is a travesty.
    Missing those three Lennon tracks kills the balance of the album.
    If Capital had to cut three songs, it would have been better to take one each from John, Paul, and George.
    And unlike most other Capital albums, nothing was added. If the US REVOLVER had included Paperback Writer or Rain that might add to the appeal of it.
    As it is, the US REVOLVER is useless. I'm so glad I heard the UK version first and thus that is how I have always known the album and thus have been able to appreciate fully its' greatness from my first listen.

Keith V likes this.
  25. Radardog

Radardog Forum Resident

No. But I quite enjoy the US Rubber Soul as an alternative album. Slightly unplugged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.