U Turn TT?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CowboyBill, Nov 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had a Pro Ject Debut Carbon, but it mysteriously disappeared from my home.... anyway, I was thinking about getting another, but this U Turn is kind of catching my eye. Anyone here have one? Not being able to adjust the arm scares me a bit. Thanks in advance.

2. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

They are good for what they are. There are many threads about them. IMO they offer a great deal of value at the entry level price point, but once you start adding options the value proposition falls off and you're better off with something with a more sophisticated tonearm. There is a member here who thinks they are cheap junk for his own fantastical reasons. The only person on my block list.

3. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

I have an Orbit but I am also not very serious about vinyl. The rare occasions when I listen to vinyl it's just for the hell of it, not for serious listening. If I was really into vinyl I would've gotten a better turntable. All that being said, the Orbit has worked well for me considering what I ask of it.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. Jeff449

Jeff449 Forum Resident

"Not being able to adjust the arm scares me a bit. "
    What attribute are you referring to?
    If you were happy with the Debut, stick with it. Then get a bike lock and secure it to your rack.
    You could do better than both of those tables, depending on how much money you want to spend and if you know how to align a cartridge.

PhilBiker and patient_ot like this.
  5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It's OK, but bettered by the entry level Music Hall, Pro-ject, and Rega decks. I'd jump right to the second tier of any of those other three brands and you'd have a table that will deliver better performance and last you a long time. Buying the very least expensive product that any company offers gets you just that. While these companies offer better entry level gear than the best that many other companies offer, it's still wise to take advantage of their better efforts.
    -Bill

6. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

If youre experienced with TTs and vinyl why not go Vintage instead?
    You could pay a lot less than a U Turn costs and still get more.

TheVU and PhilBiker like this.
  7. CowboyBill

I would, but to be honest, im a younger guy and have no idea what is a good vintage TT is. :help:

8. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

You've really opened a can of worms now...
    The best thing to do is to visit a hi-fi shop if you have one near you and see what they have. Many shops who sell new turntables also have some older ones available from time to time. Condition is everything with used gear, so name dropping isn't much help for someone who can't assess condition and function as well as someone much more experienced. The shop can help there by having evaluated the used decks they have. Most places can do that anyway, I have seen some odd places that didn't know what to do with anything that didn't come with a remote control...
    -Bill

SandAndGlass and PhilBiker like this.
  9. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I see, Im 20 myself, dont be too afraid to try things.
    But you dont have to go 70s if you go vintage.
    You can still buy relatively new tables made in the 2000s just sold as vintage.
    I got my Rega RP1 used for example, it was still sold as retail up until a few years back.

The Technics, Thorens and Pioneer brands are otherwise safe choices from the olden days.
    Just make sure everything is in working condition.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. CowboyBill

Thanks, i think i'll stop by a couple stores near me and see what they have. if i'm too overwhelmed, might just go with another pro ject. might as well not be a cheapskate, i listen to vinyl a lot.

PhilBiker likes this.
  11. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Well, see what brands the shops carry and listen to whatever they have there. Then have a look at the websites of the mfrs that you saw or heard about. It would be best to buy locally if you can to obtain help with initial set-up and avoid any problems with damage. Then you may just need service or want a cartridge upgrade down the road and they can help with that as well. You might have a look at the websites for the mfrs that I mentioned and check out what the second tier units have to offer over the lowest tier units. Once you can see those differences and recall those model names, you might have a better chance of communicating effectively with the staff at those shops. Look for someone who has been around the bend a bit there, the old guy rather than the dapper young lad. You want someone who knows from real world experience to assist you with what is a decades old idea.
    -Bill

SandAndGlass, Art K and PhilBiker like this.
  12. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

If you are not knowledgeable, it is better to stay clear of vintage offerings on eBay.

That goes for any vintage offering!

PhilBiker, Gramps Tom and Leonthepro like this.
  13. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Having owned all types and variations of entry level tables, including Debut Carbon, the U Turn Plus is probably my favorite.

14. CowboyBill

Is it basically just the acrylic platter that is the plus?

I have to admit, i think it's an attractive TT, I just have no idea what it's tracking at, kinda bothers me.

PhilBiker likes this.
  15. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Acrylic platter, better cartridge. As far as tracking, if you have a turntable, you really should have a tracking force gauge, they are inexpensive. They are set at the factory to cart standards and mine was dead on. Basically, in the entry level most tables will be about the same, Projects, Rega, UTurn. Pretty much just go with what you like. They are all being built to a price point. The customer service is the difference for me as far as U-Turn goes. Saying that, I'm using a couple of vintage tables mostly now.

16. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Upgrading the cartridge to 2M Blue would be more noticeable than upgrading to an acrylic platter if you're going to get the U-Turn. I had the U-Turn for a little while until I could upgrade to a much better 'table. The U-Turn is fine for what it is: an inexpensive and solid starter turntable. The company is great and so is customer service, but the features on the U-Turn just weren't enough for me. If you're just interested in a set it (at the factory) and forget it option, you really can't go wrong at the price.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  17. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I would go with a Pro-Ject or Music Hall over a U-Turn. If you were budget constrained to $200, the U-Turn is a good option. But the options are aggressively priced in relation to the very affordable base deck. I would actually buy the Music Hall MMF-2.2 for $299. I like the aluminum arm over the carbon fibers lower mass ones on other the newer offerings.

18. First things first - how does a turntable ‘mysteriously disappear’ from your house?

19. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I agree, Carbon arm is just too revealing for the entry level tables.

20. U-Turn = M-I-C-K-E-Y, M-O-U-S-E. You only get what you pay for, in this case, less.

21. CowboyBill

Thanks everyone, I decided to go with the music hall mmf 2.2! I'm excited.

22. CowboyBill

Theft! Got away with just the TT and TV. left my beloved speakers, receiver and CD player though.

PhilBiker likes this.
  23. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

I think I know who you’re referring to. :unhunh:

Alan G, PhilBiker and der like this.
  24. Cyclone Ranger

Condolences. Some ppl are just jackholes. :(

PhilBiker and der like this.
  25. Cyclone Ranger

Congrats. The U-Turn’s a nice entry-level ‘table, but I’m sure you’ll enjoy the Music Hall a whole lot as well.

Keep spinnin’ vinyl. :righton:

PhilBiker and CowboyBill like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.