U2 hint at breakup on final tour date

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by carrolls, Nov 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

I agree. I personally loved it, but I am sure more casual fans or those not big into the last couple albums thought differently

DML71 likes this.
  2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Right. But it was a very different show from the Joshua Tree Tour, which was obviously designed to play to huge crowds in massive stadiums. That moment where the massive main stage screen lights up and they start “Where the Streets Have No Name” was exhilarating.

Efus, mikedifr0923 and JeffMo like this.
  3. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I’m sure it’s an off the cuff dramatic comment. U2 will always be at it in some form.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

They’re taking a break. That’s all he meant. No story here. And it was Berlin, not Milan.

5. burningedge

burningedge Forum Resident

Exactly. And u2songs has a good writeup about the possible Australia tour and hints at future studio work: u2songs | Ready For What's Next |

6. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

This kind of reminded me of what was said after Rattle and Hum. And a few years later we got Achtung Baby.

HeyBullfrog and JeffMo like this.
  7. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

They aren't doing too bad on the touring front.

"The iconic Irish band sold out 59 performances in 30 arenas on both continents, racking up $126,188,794 in sales. The final ticket count from the Live Nation-produced tour hit 927,034.

With those final totals, the band is on track to rank among the highest-grossing arena tours of the year, joining such artists as Pink, Bruno Mars and Justin Timberlake with tours that have topped $100 million in sales in arena-sized venues. Final box office counts for the year’s hottest tours will land in Pollstar’s Year-End issue that will be published in December."

U2 Grosses $126.2 Million With ‘Experience + Innocence’ Trek

and the year before U2's Joshua Tree 30th-anniversary tour named top-grossing tour of 2017 | Buzz.ie

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  8. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Bono wants to ride his bike again.

911s55 and Fullbug like this.
  9. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

I have to say I have seen none of this 'social media frenzy' about the band calling it quits. Taking a deserved break, yes, but not stopping altogether. The only place I've seen people 'shocked' is in the articles written about Bono's comments. I guess they need the sensation to attract clicks. :shrug:

seed_drill likes this.
  10. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

This thread title = reflexive troll bait.

11. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

I guess it's time for me to begin listening to U2 to see what all the fuss is about.

You too?

12. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

I love how threads like this always bring out people who hate the band. It always cracks me up and this board never disappoints! U2 strikes me as a band that will last until they are no longer to physically do it. Of course Bono is gonna wrap up the tour by being melodramatic. Doesn't make it news it's just Bono, for better or worse, being Bono.

pearle, mikedifr0923 and Man at C&A like this.
  13. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Rubbish. Going away to save the world from their castles. When is there another anniversary? 30 years of Acting Baby tour? 40 years of October? They'll be back I'm afraid.

Jimmy B. and bherbert like this.
  14. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Or nail himself to a cross.

15. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

This must surely mean they'll change the world again with Achtung Baby 2 in a couple of years time.

16. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I will be shocked if U2 breaks up for any reason other than a member dying. Hopefully they take a break, listen to some of their past albums, recruit Eno and Lanois and go back in the studio in a year or two.

Man at C&A and Hep Alien like this.
  17. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

They ain't going away. There will be a 30th Anniversary album and tour for Achtung Baby! Most bands go into hibernation mode after a long tour anyway.

18. DeadPhishBlues

DeadPhishBlues I just got back from Kill Devil Falls

Yes please ! An Achtung Baby themed tour would be stellar. I saw the 360 Tour and it ranks up there as one of the best live "shows" I've witnessed.

Side note...what is the best vinyl version of Achtung Baby, my CD copy has been around the block several dozen times and in and out of at least six prior vehicle's CD players. Love that album !

19. tingly

tingly Forum Resident

Bono's grand return to bicycle riding

20. Grahamstuartcanada

Grahamstuartcanada We play two kinds of music “new” and “wave”

I totally agree- I expect I am in a very small minority- I want a mature album (yes) but I want one without any desire to be hip - no young guests, not 10 producers in 10'different studios, but 2-3 who know them well in one place ... I'd love some introspection and experimentation - but a desire to make an album as beautiful as black star - with the same lack of concern for "singles" I'd love a new eno/Lanois production- have always appreciated flood and lily white - and if the band could tap into song I think "window in the sky" w Rick Rubin is their best song in a long long time

Pjotr into Music and Man at C&A like this.
  21. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

You know, on an audiophile music forum, I expect that people are serious enough to just stay out of threads about bands they dislike. Thanks for proving that trolls exist everywhere.

22. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

"Songs of Departure"... ;)

Hep Alien and smilin ed like this.
  23. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

Seems like they've been on the road for the past three years... sounds like a fairly innocent statement since they should be taking some down time for the forseeable future. I would think touring is more rigourous the older they have become, and Bono's had a fairly rough go at it dating back to the bike injury and all the way through his vocal issues a month or so ago.

Fully expecting a news of a new album being recorded two years from now - but don't worry! It will be more "guitar-driven" than their previous album!

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

U2 are one of the greatest bands if not the greatest bands ever. If they quit they quit but I think The Edge has too much music in him to quit.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  25. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

U2 can still exist on the tour circuit. Just please, please please don't make any new material, thanks

AlmanacZinger, Jimmy B. and bherbert like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.