UK Beatles IV - Q 4 Steve

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sanfi4u, Apr 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sanfi4u

Sanfi4u Senior Member Thread Starter

Steve,

A copy of UK Parlophone export edition Beatles IV was recently sold at eBay for quite a fortune. I have never knew this animal was ever pressed. It can still be found at eBay archive (here is the link).

I'm very much curious what master tape was used for this LP. Did they use Capitol copy or Parlophone original master tapes?

May be you can pour some light on this puzzle?

Thanks in advance.

2. Sanfi4u

Sorry, guys!

Surely it's Beatles VI, not Beatles IV. But the answer doesn't become less desirable :) .

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Well, since I've never heard it, there are two possiblilties:

The first, is that they used a tape copy of Capitol's LP tape. In which case, the sound would pretty terrible, with songs like "Yes It Is" in fake stereo.

On the other hand, if they recompiled the tapes from the EMI vault, and created their own LP master, it might sound amazing, like their "Hey Jude" LP.

Too bad we will never know.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It looks and sounds phony! I highly doubt EMI/Parlaphone ever marketed such a thing. Whoever bought this is an idiot.

5. Steve Hoffman

Easy boy. It's real. This was gone over on an earlier thread about the British "Hey Jude" album.

I've never seen one, but I know they exist. If the thing was recomplied from British Tapes, it would be worth the money (to someone, not me), but if uses Capitol tape copies (like the German "Beatles Beat" LP does), then it's strictly for collectors, never to actually be played.

6. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

I'm glad you have such a strong opinion on the matter.

However, these *were* made; some countries issued the US versions of the albums, and for whatever reason, Parlophone produced them. They were, as the auction states, intended "for export only."

Rarebeatles.com lists quite a few of them.

-D

7. Patrick M

Patrick M Subgenius

8. Sanfi4u

Thanks, Steve. Exactly what I think about this rare item. But we still don't know what tapes were used and how this LP sounds. I've asked both seller and buyer to provide their comments. Hopefully we'll have more info soon.

9. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

According to the Rarebeatles.com site, either the US masters themselves or copies thereof were used (i.e. everything's Dexterized). Don't expect something audiophile!

-D

10. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I used to have a copy of this. Nice, and since then, I've been looking for another. Yes, it's specifically an export LP from UK=>US. From what I remember, they did use the same tapes Capitol used.

Why this album is going for a fortune, I have NO idea.

11. whoompley

whoompley Senior Member

I have a copy of this. CPCS 104.

Side 1's dead wax says : YEEX 112-A15
    Side 2 says : YEEX 113-A15
    (also has something scratched out--it looks like ST2-2451--on side 2 only)

When I can get at my stereo I'll let yez know about "Yes It Is".

the other Wes

12. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Check again, are you sure it doesn't say ST-2-2358?

13. whoompley

whoompley Senior Member

Hey All,
    I finally got to the stereo and fake stereo it is on "Yes It Is". Double checked the scratched out stuff in side 2's dead wax and it still looks like ST2-2451 to me.

the other Wes

Tom Ryan likes this.
  14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

OK, OK guys! I got the message! I still never heard of it, it sounded suspicious because of the Parlophone label, and I know how Martin and co. were very unhappy with what Capitol Records did to their albums.

BTW, It was late and I was trying to remember how it was spelled. I thought I typed "Parlophone" but I guess I made a slip anyway and didn't proofread the post first.

15. Patrick M

Patrick M Subgenius

Why would Parlophone press LPs for a country that had its own pressing facilities?

These export LPs were made for the European market -- specifically, countries which could not press their own LPs. Purportedly, many of the Beatles VI 'export' LPs wound up in Scandinavian countries.

16. Steve Hoffman

But why just that album? What was so unique about that one over "Yesterday & Today", etc.? I don't get it!

17. whoompley

whoompley Senior Member

Did this come out before or after Beatles Oldies...But Goldies? If it came out before, it may have been the only way to get "Bad Boy" on a non-imported lp...

the other Wes

18. Patrick M

Patrick M Subgenius

Good question. There were others, but obviously not the full complement of American titles.

I found a usenet posting that listed these as the "export" items:

Singles:
    DP 562 "If I Fell"/"Ask Me Why"
    DP 563 "Dizzy Miss Lizzy"/"Yesterday"
    DP 564 "Michelle"/"Drive My Car"
    DP 570 "Hey Jude"/"Revolution"
    BCSP 1 THE BEATLES SINGLES COLLECTION--As BCS 1 but also includes "Love Me
    Do" picture disc.

Long Play
    CPCS 101 SOMETHING NEW--As American album.
    CPCS 103 THE BEATLES' SECOND ALBUM--As American album.
    CPCS 104 BEATLES VI--As American album.
    CPCS 106 HEY JUDE--With Apple label instead of Parlophone label.
    PCS 7067-8 THE BEATLES (aka White Album) With Parlophone label instead of
    Apple label.

19. Sanfi4u

Patrick,

RareBeatles.com gives slightly different info about Beatles VI and other UK export releases (http://www.rarebeatles.com/photospg/bea6lp.htm):

"This is one of five U.S. album titles manufactured in Great Britain specifically for export to other European countries. The albums were Something New (CPCS 101), Beatles '65 (CPCS 102), The Beatles' Second Album (CPCS 103), Hey Jude (CPCS 106), and shown, Beatles VI (CPCS 104). Except for the different catalog numbers and the logo boxes, the U.S. versions were faithfully reproduced. "PCS" is a common Parlophone stereo prefix, but "C" before it stands for Capitol, who mastered the
    albums. All five titles are hard to find, especially in near-mint condition. Hey Jude is the most common."

Hope to come back soon with the info from the buyer.

20. feinstein

feinstein Member

I can clear this up since I have the Parlophone export copies of both "Beatles VI" and "Something New" (I paid about $80 each for them at a record sale here in Detroit a few years ago).

Both of these are identical copies of the U.S. albums, including the miserable reverb on "Something New" and the fake stereo on "Beatles VI". I would guess that they just used a tape copy of the U.S. master when producing these Parlophone exports.

If there are any record runout groove gurus here, I can look on the records and post any runout groove information that I can see.

21. feinstein

feinstein Member

BTW: These were intended for distribution in Scandanavia. My copy of the export "Beatles VI" has a sticker on it that has some reference to EMI-Finland.

22. Steve Hoffman

Too bad. I can't imagine why EMI would do such a thing (considering they had the actual master tapes right in the next room). But, I can't say I'm surprised. They did it on their LP release of "Magical Mystery Tour". Thank God they didn't do it for the "Hey Jude" export release. The 1969 version sounds amazing!

23. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

I can't answer as to why EMI would use American tapes for their export titles, but I do know that the reason the White Album export copies came out on an EMI label was that the Apple name and trademark had not yet been cleared in certain countries at the time of its release, and this was a way that the album could still be issued with proper copyright controls.

And after the decision was made to issue "Hey Jude" for export a short time later, the same process was undertaken, again for the same reasons.

-Kevin

24. peter

peter Senior Member

Steve, so does the 1979 PCS "official" UK issue. All true stereo on
    all tracks. I have two copies, one is a 1979 2 EMI box original (1979 original obviously) and one pressed in 1990, with a unique Parlophone
    logo on it--matte black, with PARLOPHONE in big silver type. I say its from 1990, because that's when I bought it new and the inner sleeve is dated 11/90. It sounds AMAZING too. And, NOT digital, either. Interestingly, there's script on the back cover that says "Available on tape."

25. Steve Hoffman

For all I know, the 1969, 1979 and 1990 pressings were all done from the same damn stamper. Why not?

On that same note:

I wish EMI would get out their old 1963-67 Beatles stampers and press us up some more tube-cut stereo originals. I know they have 'em.

Heck, I'd buy 'em all! Man, the sound of that tube-cut "Beatles For Sale" Parlophone is to die for!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.