UK Beatles IV - Q 4 Steve

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sanfi4u, Apr 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Steve, are you saying that these stampers would not have worn out or become dull?

And will ya sell me one since you'll buy 'em all up? ;)

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Ya-hoo, I just became a Forum Addict! Cheeeeerrrrrr!!!

Ooops. Sorry.

:o

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Well, the stampers might have worn out, but the rest of the metalwork (masters, mothers) are still around. Heck, they used the old mono metal for the 1986 mono LP re-do's...

4. Patrick M

Patrick M Subgenius

Reading between the lines -- the late 80s mono Beatles LPs are pretty good?

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Hrmm...if that's the case why do they ever do re-cuts? Why wouldn't they just re-use the original metal parts?

6. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I have the complete set of these. Yes, they do sound really good IMO.:D

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I picked up a few '80's Beatles LP's recently. Have not played them yet.

Could someone be more specific: Which album titles and catalogue numbers are these?

8. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I was referring to a set of mono releases that start at Please, Please Me and go thru Yellow Submarine. same issue numbers as the originals. :)

9. Steve Hoffman

Improvements in cutting technology. Remember, only some of us wackos think that the earliest cuttings sound the best. To EMI and the rest of the sane world, each recut improved upon the original tube cuts (not!)

10. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

The export Parlophone White album is rarer than rare.

Never seen one myself, but a dealer I know a few years back was asking about $3,000.00 for one (not sealed by the way.)

His ad said..."Be the first one on your continent to own one of these!"

11. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

John,

That just shows that Parlophone's export people weren't too on top of their game. Good thing they didn't work for the payroll department (actually reading about all the artist's royalty issues maybe some of them transfered)...

Todd

12. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I think other reasons why the old metal parts aren't used for re-cutting is ego and maybe staff on payroll ("I don't care if there are old metal parts, we're paying you bloody good money to cut records, now start bloody cutting! Also, make sure you use the bloody new SS equipment, I'll lose me head if I don't justify the cost of having'em installed!! Now start cutting you wanker!!".

Todd

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Hmm...I always thought the reasoning was because the parts wore out and they *needed* new parts. Why on earth would CBS cut tons and tons of copies of, say, Sounds Of Silence, when they could have just used the original parts? I mean, even *they* would have had to have known that a 4th generation dub wouldn't sound as good as the original pressing...

14. Steve Hoffman

Parts wear out? Sure. Cut more. In the case of Columbia, they were too cheap to do it right in the first place (cut multiple parts), so they had to recut later.

In EMI's case, I'm talking about 1963-67 era. I don't care how many recuts were done in that time, they all sounded the same (good). I'm speaking of AFTER 1967 when they went Solid State Neumann crazy.

15. Sanfi4u

Sanfi4u Senior Member Thread Starter

Coming back to where we have started. Here are the seller's comments on the first 4 Parlophone export LPs (including Beatles VI):
    "They all have this typical tampered with "American" sound with lots of echoes added to the tracks, compared to the more distinct and sharp original UK-recordings. (Which I personally detest!) So it seems they have just transferred the Capitol masters straight on to these issues."
    Daniel confirms what was said about this pressing earlier. I wonder who enlightened EMI staff to employ the original master tapes in case of "Hey Jude" release?
    One more question on the topic. I personally have Japanese pressing of the Beatles VI (Apple AP-80035). Unfortunately it's packed in one of the boxes right now. Judging by memory its sound is quite decent. Did they use the same Capitol master tape for Japanese release? Any comments, Steve?

16. luigi_tardini

luigi_tardini New Member

Hello,
    I am Luigi Tardini, the winner of that Beatles VI UK export lp. I am a just registered member of this forum. I bought it not for listening to it, but as it is a big rarity. In fact, not only the item is in stunning condition, but also it has a label variation wich I think is a one of a kind: the "Sold in UK subject to..." writing on label. On UK exports this variation is known to exist also on "Something New" (quite common) and on the White Album UK export on Parlophone Y/B label (I have ever seen only one copy of this variation, and this is in my collection).
    I collect only UK originals, and I am happy to have won a rarity such this B. VI.
    I don't know if I am an idiot... meybe that member is right.
    I will bew happy to answer to other questions about this item when I receive it.
    All the best,
    Luigi Tardini
    (Italy)

17. Angel

Angel New Member

Mr. Tardini,

Welcome to this Forum. Who said you were an idiot? Just some jealous soul. You are a collector. Not the same thing!

Good luck with your rare album. Most of us have never seen one and never will. I didn't even know it existed until this thread, and if someone told me I wouldn't have believed them!

Enjoy! :)

18. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Welcome, Mr. Tardini! Glad you are here! I think it's fantastic that we have members from all over the world!

It's a great forum! You'll like it here! :)

Gary

19. Sanfi4u

What tapes were used for Japanese release of Beatles VI?

Does anybody know what tapes were used for Japanese pressing of the Beatles VI (Apple AP-80035)? Did they use Capitol master tapes? Any info is highly appreciated.

20. Angel

Angel New Member

Capitol master tapes? No such thing really. They used tape copies of Capitol's EQ'd tape copies of Capitol's safeties made from Parlophone tapes, so fourth generation.:eek:

21. Sanfi4u

Thanks, Angel.

Here is some more info about Beatles UK export LPs from Daniel (the seller) that might be interesting.

"Regarding the 5 exports you mention there does NOT exist any CPCS 102 release - Beatles'65.
    However I know of a test pressing; just a two-single sided LP, white label UK-press of "Yesterday & today" reputed to have the CPCS 102 no which probably should be the "missing link" as it never was released. No cover at all, but definitely a UK-press according to the owner or at least the guy who I know had it last...! (Greg Vandike, you can look him up on the Internet - a big British dealer).
    So there are only CPCS 101, 103 & 104.
    So all in all there are 8 official Parlophone export LPs. The three CPCS taken from the US-masters, the latter 5 PPCS I mentioned in my previous mail all most certainly taken from the UK-masters.
    They also come on both yellow/black(1st press) & silver/black (2nd) labels = after 1970.
    However I've never so far seen or heard of any yellow/black labeled Hey Jude and Let it be, nor any silver/black White album or 2nd press Yellow Sub on ODEON.
    The Hey Jude LP exists in two export versions - the very common you refer to is the Apple CPCS 106, the other nearly impossible is the PPCS 106 on Parlophone.
    I haven't actually compared these late exports to the US or ordinary UK-releases sound quality but I'm pretty confident they are printed from the same mothers as the usual UK-releases as I've compared matrixes visually and from what I've seen the vinyl appears to be identical - only the labels are different; Parlophone instead of Apple.
    Regarding the Japanese issues I really don't know anything as I don't deal with any of that kind of stuff, but it wouldn't surprise me if they all have the US sound quality as almost the entire, at least early Japanese output is based on the American catalogue."

22. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Re: What tapes were used for Japanese release of Beatles VI?

The Japanese pressings of the Capitol LP's were all done from Capitol copy tapes. With one curious exception, and that was the Japanese issue of Yesterday and Today. For some reason thay used copies of UK master tapes (maybe because of the fake stereo issue with the three songs I'm Only Sleeping, And Your Bird Can Sing and Doctor Robert.) This version is all true stereo.

23. feinstein

feinstein Member

John wrote:

the Japanese issue of Yesterday and Today. For some reason thay used copies of UK master tapes (maybe because of the fake stereo issue with the three songs I'm Only Sleeping, And Your Bird Can Sing and Doctor Robert.) This version is all true stereo.

I reply:

Perhaps they used the later "Capitol Record Club" masters for the Japanese "Yesterday and Today" which was all true stereo?

24. Steve Hoffman

Yes, I'm sure they did. That tape was also used to make the open reel version.

25. luigi_tardini

luigi_tardini New Member

[[/B][/QUOTE]
    Hello, very interesting.
    I can confirm that no S/Black version of the export UK white exist. But you may be interested learning that there are several variations of the Uk Y/B Parlophone version.
    The 1st is the "standard" version.
    The 2nd fails to credit Ringo for his "Don't Pass Me By" on the label of side 2
    The 3rd is pressed by DECCA, as it has the large DECCA boss pressed on all the 4 labels
    The 4th has the "Sold in UK subject to..." statement on the labels of side 1, 2 and 3, while the label of side 4 is the "standard one"
    The "DECCA pressing" variation may be found also on both the Abbey Road pressings (Y/B and S/B) and also on Let it BE on S/B.
    A scan of the export Y.Submarine on Odeon label may be seen on the Tokyo Beatles Fan Club fanzine, issue 11/1995. A good frien of mine has a copy of this trasure, coming from Portugal; I have seen it in person.
    The correct catalogue number of the UK "Hey Jude" export lp on S/Black Parlophone label is "P-CPCS 106"; I have this rarity in my colection; it comes from Nairobi (Kenya) and has a "Parlophone" sticker glued on the green Apple logo on back cover.
    Some time ago I met Paul Wane, the principal of Tracks UK, who told me that he has seen a copy of UK export "Let it Be" lp on Yellow Black Parlophone; he also told me that he has seen a UK export copy of this lp on Parlophone/Columbia label!!! As every one knows that paul Wane is a very serious dealer, we only can hope to see such a raritiy!
    I hope that this helps, and I would be happy to hear from you all!
    Luigi Tardini

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.