UK Mono version of Satanic-Stones question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thebeatles67, Apr 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Ok, here are four samples - two from my mono LP (with blue London "stereophonic" label) and two from the West German London CD, where I folded the stereo mix down to mono.

The first 40 seconds of "Citadel" - the stereo mix centers the main backing track and the vocals are panned far left. When you fold it down, the vocals are quite a bit low in the mix. Compare that to the true mono mix where the vocals are more present.

The end of "She's A Rainbow" and the beginning of "The Lantern" - of course the most obvious distinction are the number of gongs at the beginning of "The Lantern", but another difference you should hear are the violins that come in at the end of "She's A Rainbow" (right around the 37-second mark in the samples) - they are much higher in the mono mix. And just like "Citadel", since the vocals were panned far left in the stereo mix, they will be much lower when you fold it down.

I hope this puts to rest the misconception that the US mono LP (including the blue London mispress) is a fold down of the stereo mix.

Citadel mono LP

Citadel stereo folded down

Rainbow-Lantern mono LP

Rainbow-Lantern stereo fold

All Down The Line and musicore77 like this.
  2. ericc2000

ericc2000 Forum Resident

Sweet! Thanks for going to the trouble of posting these!

3. Yeah, thanks a lot MikeP5877!

4. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

Gotta disagree on your appraisal of the UK mono. It is one of the more open, lively, and punchy mono pressings I own. Its an original, not a RI if that makes any difference.

5. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

Just played my US 45 of The Lantern and the same cut from my UK vinyl. Three gongs on both.

6. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Ah! So what gives here?

I'm gonna have to go home tonight and listen to this!

7. NYC45nut

NYC45nut Active Member

I just passed up a mint US mono 45 of Lantern b/w In Another Land...should I run back and grab it?? Is it really the best sound quality? I'm not quite as familiar with Stones 45's and generally stick with the UK Decca versions.....(???)

8. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

I have duplicates of some pressings (US & UK 45's), and I enjoy the sound of both. I don't have a UK Lantern so I cannot give you a definitive about which is best.

9. NYC45nut

NYC45nut Active Member

Hey thanks, I'm seriously thinking of going to pick it up....

10. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Go now. If the US mono LP is anything to go by, I'm sure it's great. Intrestingly all the early Stereo copies I see are machine stamped Bell Sound jobies. All the mono are hand etched NON-Bell sound.

C

11. NYC45nut

NYC45nut Active Member

Ok, I'm definitely getting it. :)

12. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

The light-blue UK mono I recently picked up is alive and full-sounding with deep bass.

3 gongs at the beginning of "The Lantern."

Jury is still out on this...

I could do some samples but it would be a huge pain...maybe this weekend.

Listening now Lantern sounds fantastic. Vocal is not buried.

I was really friggin' worried, as I kinda spent a lot on this LP...thank goodness...

When I got it home and listened to it, any chance for buyer's remorse vanished...until I read this thread...

Mine sure seems like a true mono mix. Wow...2000 LYs sounds incredible. Huge bass!

13. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Good to hear Scott! Where did you find your copy?
    This record has to be heard in MONO.
    C

14. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Found it at the record show...it's VG+ vinyl and a VG+ cover. The vinyl is visually gorgeous. I need to take it to my wife's uncle's house to use his RCM on it...

:)

15. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

I'm listening to a mint UK original now and it is he best sounding version I have, ( I have 4 other stereo pressings), it has more punch, better rhythm. and they just sound more like a band playing together, Flat Earthers would call it better PRaT.

Listening to 2000 man and there are lots of subtle differences, like reverb on vocals, keiths guitar levels etc

16. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

Since I am hearing three gongs on The Lantern on the UK mono LP, are we still unequivocally certain it is a fold-down?

17. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

I was wondering, could the original Decca Mono be a fold down that was replaced by a true Mono after Mick and Keith went to NY and the US Mono was issued? Is the version you have with the 3 Gongs an Unboxed Decca? What is the matrix? Does any one have a UK with 2 Gongs? What label / Matrix is it?

18. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

My original sounds very much as Parkertown describes his later pressing.

19. peter

peter Senior Member

You should post the matrixes. It could be that you have great cutting of this record.

We all know that UK Stones Decca era LP's can (and are) all over the map.

20. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Matrix numbers:

A Side: ARL-8126-IP
    B Side: ARL-8126-PI

No addition writing in deadwax on either side.

On the right side of the label, right above the TXL catalog number, is ARL 8126 but it is printed upside down!

[​IMG]

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  21. rickharper

rickharper Forum Resident

remember, in the us 3 mono 45s were taken from that lp. even jagger says it sounds "sh----" in stereo...

All Down The Line likes this.
  22. Actually, there were just two US 45s, She's a Rainbow/2,000 Light Years From Home and In Another Land/The Lantern.

Did Mick really say that? Wow, although the mono is a fun listen, IMO this album is a textbook example of a great stereo mix.

23. tages

tages Senior Member

All I know is MY UK LP (first pressing, I believe) is a fold-down, and my US LP is a dedicated mix.

Would be great to have a genuine dedicated mono UK pressing if they're out there!

24. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

They're out there...

All Down The Line likes this.
  25. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

The stereo mix decodes very well in the QS quadraphonic mode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.