Ultimate HQCD (UHQCD) - new CD format, King Crimson on UHQCD and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

My question isn't ironic: the standard CD is one price, the UHQCD is four times that. Is it anything close to four times better? It's a yes or no question...Unless the answer is yes there would be little reason to pay the higher price. I notice you have not answered this, but skirted around it.

And as for your patronising and inaccurate assumption that I would prefer MP3 (which, bizarrely is more expensive than the 2CD set), the less said the better.

2. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

I found your question ironic, because to answer I have to buy both versions and compare them. I might do that, but now, how can I tell you something, if an album was not released yet? It was released just today.

To everyone:

Retail price of any Japanese release is not what amazon put on their site. The price is printed on the cover's OBI in Yen ones and forever (like books). It is constant from the day of its release and on. The currency conversion rate, however, tends to change every day.
    So, today retail price of Japan Radiohead OK Computer Mini LP 2 UHQCD is 25000 Yen, which is currently $22.46, not 40 pounds:

OK COMPUTER OKNOTOK 1997 2017 [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [UHQCD] RADIOHEAD CD Album

Japanese retailers on eBay mostly are very honest guys and add to it only eBay and PayPal fees, but it's better service with safer and cheaper shipping.

What I see now, it did not came in Mini LP, but rather in Digipack:

RADIOHEAD OK Computer Oknotok 1997 2017 JAPAN 2 UHQ CD SET DIGI SLEEVE

It is mistake in cdjapan add.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

P.S.
    I mentioned MP3 only to underline ridiculousness of amazon prices - sorry about that.

Joe P. likes this.
  3. toilet_doctor

4. toilet_doctor

I started with these two Yes compilation albums:
    Yes Yesterdays (1974)
    Yes Classic Yes (1981)
    I honestly do not remember why I still only have one of them (I used it for a comparison) 2002 Mini LP HDCD Classic Yes with 2002 Remaster. It does not make any sense, since they are a couple, covering first 5 Yes albums.
    Both albums are just a reprint on UHQ material and in both booklets: Digitally remastered in HDCD format by Isao Kikushi.

HDCD (High Definition Compatible Digital) was a first attempt to improve the SQ of RB CD as an encode-decode process that claims to provide an increase in the dynamic range over the reg. disc, and still playable on reg. CD player. However to get the benefits of HDCD, a CD player must have the HDCD decoding capabilities. Microsoft bought the technology from its original developer Pacific Microsonics in 2000, and until 2005, 5000 titles were released in HDCD format.

Yes 'Classic Yes' 2002 Japan Mini LP HDCD vs. 2017 Japan Mini LP UHQ HDCD with 2002 Remaster

My player does HDCD decoding, and when I played these titles, the HDCD sign appeared on the display.
    First I determined the best sounding track and compared the rest to it. It was Track #5 'Long Distance' from the 'Fragile' album. I was pleasantly surprised, to be honest, to hear such a good sound. The sound was open and balanced with well-presented bass and lack of brightness in the trebles. I would say: A Very Good sound, bordering the Best category. UHQ jumped even higher into the section 'Best' with airiness in sound, more air between the instruments and a smoother bass.

To understand better where I was in the sound quality I compared this track with 2009 7" Japan Mini LP SACD version. SACD sounded fuller and bass was deeper. However, UHQ came very close to it.
    So I can say: the Long Distance song 2017 UHQ version of 2002 HDCD Remaster was standing next to SACD version of 2009 Remaster within the same Best category.

I wish to report such a result for the rest of the songs, but there was no more like this - sorry about that.

'Classic Yes' has 3 more tracks from the 'Fragile' album. Next I tried Track #1 'Heart of the Sunrise' - more than 10 min song. Sound quality dropped due to lesser dynamics and overall clarity of the sound, but not so much. 2002 version dropped at the border 'Good' and 'Very Good' sections, and UHQ to the 'Very Good' category. While SACD sound was smoother with better dynamics, bass was fast, thick and ambient - the Best.
    Track #6 short song 'Fish' was similar to the Track #1, while Track #8 'Roundabout' went down deeper
    with less clarity and more brightness in the trebles.

Tracks from the 'Fragile' album:
    2002 HDCD : UHQ HDCD : 2009 SACD

Long Distance Very Good/Best : Best : Best
    Heart of the Sunrise Good/Very Good : Very Good : Best
    Fish Good/Very Good : Very Good : Very Good/Best
    Roundabout Average : Average/Good : Good/ Very Good

Two tracks from 'Yes Album' were a bit "let down" tracks against 'Fragile' tracks whatever version I took, including MoFi , Wilson's mixes and SACD.
    Track #4 'Starship Trooper'
    Wilson's Reg. CD: This version won over the MoFi Gold CD and Jpn SACD with better dynamics, ability to play loud and overall clarity of the sound. Bass was way cleaner. (Thank you, Steven!) All of them had brightness in vocal parts but Wilson's was less bright. Though it had narrower soundstage than MoFi and SACD. I think that Blu-ray version should take care of this. (I don't have Blu-ray playback in my system to verify).
    I would place Wilson CD in the 'Very Good' category, MoFi at the border 'Good' and 'Very Good' and SACD at the top of 'Good' section.

So, how did our UHQ stand against all this? Actually, quiet well with an open and well-balanced sound, good dynamics and bass performance. Only annoying bright vocal and harsh cymbals placed this version lower that the rest, but firmly in the category 'Good'.
    2002 HDCD version went at Average/Good border with a less transparent sound.
    Another track from the 'Yes Album', Track #2 'Wondrous Stories' was similar to the sound on the Track # 4.

Track #3 'Yours in Disgrace' from the 'Going for the One' album was worse with Average sound, bright and abrasive. I was hoping that UHQ would smooth it, but it did not... just a bit in the bass department - still Average.

This is just a confirmation once again: the best sound benefits more from better materials.

Two more tracks have been added for the CD release. It's Live 'Roundabout' and 'All Good People' (1981). Both had different arrangement and a lot of energy with audience involvement, standing in a 'Good' section sound-wise.

P.S. Sorry, I have to leave now, but I'll continue this evening - stay tuned.

5. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Thanks for pointing out that these were mastered by Isao Kikuchi. This explains why the DR rating for Yesterdays is so low & I'm sure Classic Yes is as well as Kikuchi has an unfortunate mastering style of seriously compressing the music & applying smiley eq. The SACDs that were used for the comparison were also mastered by him & these are also compressed & have smiley eq applied. If you look at the different versions of Fragile Album list - Dynamic Range Database you can see that the High Vibration SACD scores some of the worst compression figures for this album.

6. toilet_doctor

Thanks for the link. I purposely didn't check DR that nothing would pressure me in my opinion. I'm also not so picky about Isao mastering, because it's very easy to label someone, but people learn and change...

However, if you go back to my review of "Fragile" tracks, you can see that I never said, "I cranked the volume," as I usually do during the evaluation, under the circumstances I could not, and at the normal listening level it sounded so. Also I had to compare the Fragile tracks with MoFi and Wilson versions, which I did not do - it would give me more ideas about the sound..

When I actually compared Yes Album to MoFi and Wilson versions, I wrote: Wilson Reg. CD version won over the MoFi Gold CD and Jpn SACD with better dynamics, ability to play loud and overall clarity of the sound. Bass was way cleaner.

Since the review is not completed, I will return to the "Fragile" tracks and re-evaluate them when no one is around - probably next week. It's hell of a job with so many versions and discs are mixing up and piling up all over the place...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  7. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

I am
    Looking forward to standard cds value being driven down even farther-great days-bring it on, I'll take the
    Budget cds

8. toilet_doctor

Standard CDs represent great value. You have to pay $1 for MP3 song - 12 bucks for the album, while you can find many CDs way cheaper. Especially good are new recordings/remasterings. Sometimes I wonder, how such a great sound come out from the regular disc.

Here is a sample:

[​IMG]

Two LPs on 1 CDs, newest remaster in Deluxe Digipak (made in Spain by Crackerjack label) for $7.
    I compared it to my APO SACD ($30) - on the same level and SACD is only Vol. 2 (12 songs).
    I grabbed entire series.

Further - more: similar design, 2 on 1, new remaster, but another label - Jazz Images, Spain again.

[​IMG]

6 damn dollars! Nina Simone Sings Ellington! [Import] Spain - Import on ImportCDs
    I grabbed entire series.

They sound excellent, but I would pay $2 more for SHM printing - could sound even better.
    (Difference in the price between reg. and SHM CD in Japan now about 2-3 dollars).
    If all CDs would be printed world-wide on SHM, it must be no difference in price at all.
    All SHM-CD could be your Budget CDs.

Joe P. and Retrovertigo like this.
  9. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

Now that we have learnt that, we can start again buying remasters:pineapple:. Are you kidding?

10. Retrovertigo

Retrovertigo Forum Resident

I don't know. I got this Ultimate Super Duper **** Rippin High Quality CD of KC in TO and I'm still picking drumstick splinters out of my speaker covers and I saw Jesus :uhhuh:
    [​IMG]

Say It Right and toilet_doctor like this.
  11. Retrovertigo

In all seriousness I envy you folks. I have yet to take the plunge and get an epic system together. It's in the very near future though so I'm enjoying many of your suggestions regarding titles and production quality. Music is a huge part of my life and I plan on enjoying it to the fullest. Thanks to all of you for your posts :edthumbs:

toilet_doctor likes this.
  12. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Yes, I agree that when evaluating discs it's better to listen first & check the DR later. Nevertheless, once you've finished listening, I for one would appreciate it if you could post the DR numbers. After all, you're evaluating these discs on your system, in your room with your ears & are comparing these discs against versions that other folk may not own. DR numbers don't tell the whole story by any means, but they do offer some guidance, & are of relevance to those of us who don't particularly like compressed music.

shaboo and toilet_doctor like this.
  13. toilet_doctor

It calls the Life-cycle. The end of the life cycle means the end of Life - we do not want that, right?

14. toilet_doctor

Please provide us with a couple links to USDARHQ (Ultimate Super Duper Actively Rising High Quality) CDs and Jesus.

Retrovertigo likes this.
  15. Retrovertigo

On it, stay tuned :D

16. toilet_doctor

30 Jazz titles released in UHQCD with a new 2017 remastering ($16.49)

This becomes very serious. Two independent Japanese companies Solid Records and manufacturer and distributor Ultra-Vybe have joined forces for remasters and reissues of sometimes rare Jazz titles. In March and April 2017, two series of "Mainstream Records Master Collection" and "'West Coast Jazz Masters" were released in the regular CD format with the new Remaster 2017 and at a cost of 1,000 and 1,389 yen.
    I have several of their CDs from both series. I was surprised to hear such an airy sound - at the level of "Very Good". In August, they moved to the UHQCD format with a new Bethlehem series (white and blue OBI) and without prior announcement.

"Reissue in UHQCD format. Features 24bit digital remastering in 2017. Comes with bonus track(s), lyrics, and a description written in Japanese. This series features the albums with the following product numbers: CDSOL-45501 through CDSOL-45530."

Aug. 09, 2017

Betty Blake Betty Blake Sings in a Tender Mood
    Pete Brown Peter the Great
    Ruby Bruff Ruby Bruff Swings
    Helen Carr Down In The Depth Of The 90th Floor
    Conte Condoli Sincerely, Conti
    Chris Connor Sings Lullabys of Birdland
    Chris Connor This Is Chris
    Chris Connor Chris
    Dexter Gordon Daddy Plays the Horn
    Duke Ellington Duke Ellington Presents...
    Booker Ervin The Book Cooks
    Johnny Hartman Songs From the Heart + 6
    Booker Little Booker Little And Friend + 2
    Herbie Mann and Sam Most The Herbie Mann - Sam Most Quintet
    Charlie Mariano Charlie Mariano Quartet
    Howard McGhee The Return of Howard McGhee
    Hal McKusick East Coast Jazz Series No.8
    Charles Mingus East Coasting + 2
    Red Mitchell Happy Miners
    Audrey Morris The Voice of Audrey Morris
    Herbie Nichols Trio Love. Gloom. Cash. Love
    Oscar Pettiford Oscar Pettiford
    Charlie Rouse and Paul Quinichette The Chase Is On
    Nina Simone Little Girl Blue + 4
    Zoot Sims Quartet Down Home + 6
    Ralph Sharon The Ralph Sharon Trio
    Mel Torme Sing Fred Astaire
    Mel Torme At the Crescendo
    Mal Waldron Left Alone + 6
    Claude Williamson Claude Williamson Trio

(translation)
    Betty Black Sings in Tender Mood [UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Betty Black
    It is one of the best albums in Bethlehem's vocal jazz album, making it the only album left by Betty Blake. Played by Zoot Sims and Mar Waldron etc. Following the popular player of Bethlehem back to the back, Alec Wilder's work focused on the work of Alec Wilder.
    · 2017 24bit latest digital mastering, Japanese commentary, lyrics, with bonus track.

(two my favorites from this album)
    Moon And Sand

Lilac Wine

Peter the Great [UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Pete Brown
    Swing jazz era name Alto sax player, Pete Brown. A trumpet player, Joe Wilder, has taken up a tasteful song such as the standard "Waiting for the world to sunrise". A masterpiece of Bethlehem 10 inch series.

Ruby Bruff Swings [UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Ruby Bluff
    It is a masterpiece of Ruby Bruff which is extremely popular as an intermediary trumpeter which appeared like a comet in the 50's. His singing masterpiece played with One Horn released four months after Storyville's first leader work!

Helen Carr Down In The Depth Of The 90th Floor [UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Helen Carr
    An impressive jacket with only one light in Manhattan skyscraper in accordance with the call / porter work "Down In The Depth Of The 90th Floor" is also a wonderful Bethlehem popular female singer, Helen Carr's first recording work.

Title track
    Down in the Depths of the 90th Floor

Sincerely, Conti [UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Conte Condoli
    A frantic one horn debut album left by Bethlehem, Trumpeter, Conte Candoli, sold by Bethlehem who is active in the West Coast scene, also known for recording with Bill Holman and Art Pepper.

Sings Lullabys of Birdland + 2 [UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Chris Connor
    Popular female jazz vocalist, Bethlehem 3 piece of Chris Conner, a masterpiece of his work, also a masterpiece of her highest masterpiece in her career. It is an impressive popular work among the numerous covers of George Shearing's standard "Lullaby Lullaby".

This Is Chris [UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Chris Connor
    2nd work of Bethlehem trilogy by Chris Connor full of young days' fame. From the slow ballad to the up tempo centering on the standard, her earnestness of young days is also an attractive popular work. J. J. Johnson, Kai · Winding etc participate.

Chris [UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Chris Connor
    The third piece of Bethlehem's early trilogy by Chris Connor. After leaving the Stan Kenton band, she can enjoy her husky singing voice which gained popularity as a solo artist. An album summarized mainly in medium tempo to slow works.

Daddy Plays the Horn [UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Dexter Gordon
    A popular album by Dexter Gordon, a master known as a hard, bop-top tenor of the 1950's. Kenny Drew and others are also a wonderful masterpiece playing the sidemen who strives back. A pretty design jacket by Bad Gold and Bratt is also popular!

Duke Ellington Presents... [UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Duke Ellington
    Along with "The Duke" is a popular edition of Bethlehem's Duke Ellington work. A masterpiece that followed the Golden Period Ellington Orchestra and performed masterpieces of jazz standards such as "Summertime" and "My Funny Valentine"!

The Book Cooks [UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Booker Erwin
    Various works left to Prestige are popular works that popular tenor · saxophonist, Booker · Irvine left in Bethlehem. Zoot Sims, Tommy Tarentine's participation was a powerful masterpiece album of a heavy front reception.

Songs From the Heart + 6 [UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Johnny Hartman
    One famous piece as an early masterpiece album by Bethlehem · debut work of popular male singer, Johnny Hartman who is famous also with Coltrane. Sophisticated artwork by Bard Goldbrook is also a masterpiece of Hartman's highest stage.

Booker Little And Friend + 2 [UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Booker Little
    It is the last album of legendary genius trumpeter, Booker Little who died at the age of 23 and is the most popular name record of his four albums. A masterpiece by a precocious genius jazzmen whose recording as a sidemen at the time was also expected to be active after that.

Herbie Mann - Sam Most Quintet [UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Herbie Mann & Sam Most
    It is a precious work in which two people, Herbie Man and Sam Most, who breaks as a jazz and flute player's leader since the 60's co-starred. It is a masterpiece in which the momentum of Bethlehem early in their birth with them on young days was packaged intact. The performance by young Joe Puma is also a wonderful work.

Charlie Mariano Quartet [UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Charlie Mariano
    Also known as former husband of Toshiko Akiyoshi, friendship with Sadao Watanabe is also the most popular masterpiece by Charlie Mariano, a popular Japanese jazz fan. One piece handed down as his masterpiece famous even for being recorded at Rudy Van Gelder's studio.

The Return of Howard McGhee [UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Howard McGhee
    Blue Note's work is also a famous Beppopped trumpet master, a sessions where Howard McGee played a splendid revival in the session with Sahib Shihab, Philly Joe Jones etc. A masterpiece of a trumpeter that represents the beginning of modern jazz.

East Coast Jazz Series NO.8 [UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Hal McKusick
    It is one of the best masterpieces in the Bethlehem catalog as a masterpiece of Alto saxophonist Hal McKusick, released as the eighth work of a different work "East Coast Jazz Series" series which was also series in Bethlehem catalog. Creed Taylor, produce.

East Coasting + 2 [UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Charles Mingus
    Works which Mingus' masterpiece "Upright monkey man" was released and he was raised in popularity at that time and left in Bethlehem. Also on the subject of album titles and track titles "West Coast Ghost" that satirized the distinction between east and west of jazz by themselves. Participate in Bill Evans.

Happy Miners [UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Red Mitchell
    The first leader work by Red Mitchell, a name bassist of modern jazz, representing Bethlehem, alongside Oscar Pettiford. Claude Williamson's vibrant piano and driving sense tenor of Zoot Sims adds color to the name session.

The Voice of Audrey Morris [UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Audrey Morris
    A female vocalist also known as masterpiece "Bistro Ballads" released from RCA, Audrey · Morris recorded popular work with Bethlehem and Marty Paich Orchestra. A delicate singing that is said to have influenced Anne Burton also is a popular masterpiece.

How 'Dja Like to Love Me

Love, Groom, Cash, Love [UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Herbie Nichols Trio
    A masterpiece of the piano, trio, and album that Jazz pianist, Herbie Nichols, left behind in Betlelehem with trio formation following the leader work in the blue note. His work, in which he was 44 years old and whose lifelong was closed, is a masterpiece and a masterpiece of both of his supporters.

Another One [UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Oscar Pettiford
    Donald Bird, Jiji Gryce etc. A legendary jazz bassist of modern jazz, a representative masterpiece of Oscar Pettiford "Another One"! Produced by octet organization with a talented young musician at the time, recorded "Stardust".

The Chase Is On [UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Charlie Rouse & Paul Quinichette
    It is also famous as a collector's item of Bethlehem where two tenor saxophonist Charlie Rouse and Paul Quinichette co-starred. Their chatting and harmony is one piece of listening as each title chairs.

Little Girl Blue + 4 [UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Nina Simone
    Memorable black female singer, pianist, Nina Simone's memorable first recording! My baby Just Care Bor Me used as a revival hit for Chanel's CM and other masterpieces famous as her masterpiece.

Down Home +6 [UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Zoot Sims Quartet
    Swingy masterpiece album recorded by the tenor saxophonist Zoot Sims centered on the repertory of Count Bassie orchestra. One piece full of charm of one horn quartet which shoots lightly performances such as Zoot and McKenna.

The Ralph Sharon Trio [UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Ralph Sharon
    It is the best masterpiece as a leader work by Ralph Sharon, a British-born pianist famous as a singer accompanist in a masterpiece album by Chris Connor. His collection of standards that let you listen to a piano that is a name accompanist who is discreet but trendy, delicate and delicate.

Sing Fred Astaire [UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Mel Torme
    Popular album by Mel Torme sings Gershwin and Irving Berlin works sung by Fred Astaire, a big star of musical movies. Backing of the Marty Paich Orchestra is also a great groovy & swinging masterpiece.

At the Crescendo [UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Mel Torme
    A masterpiece album containing a wonderful live performed by a young Mel Torme at the Hollywood club "Crescent". 2017 24-bit latest digital mastering, lyrics and bonus tracks are also included in the masterpiece live album which glimpses the ability as a entertainer with fun interaction with backing group led by Marty Paich.

Left Alone + 6 [UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Mal Waldron
    Mal Waldron who is known as the accompaniment pianist of later years Billy Holiday died and he recorded in memory of her and the most popular name record of Mal in Japan. Alto sax, like Jackie McLean's sore throat crying, is also a wonderful masterpiece. Popular board representing Bethlehem.

Claude Williamson Trio [UHQCD] [Limited Release] / Claude Williamson
    Claude Williamson's popular album, which has long been a standard for jazz fans among piano trio in Japan. A masterpiece full of dynamism that followed his style that enough to be admired as "white Bud Powell" at that time.

[​IMG]

17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm listening to "Duke Ellington Presents" right now from this recent series, and listened to "East Coasting" before (which sounded excellent indeed.) I love how the title "Upright Monkey Man" in the description above, knowing what album title they are referring to . . .

I also got in "Love, Gloom, Cash, Love" from this series. Haven't listened to it yet.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  18. toilet_doctor

I bought 7 titles. Speaking ahead, they sound very good.
    I have to compare some of them and will comment.

19. toilet_doctor

I ordered 7 UHQCDs from the series by Solid/Ultra-Vybe (under the license from BMG) officially named:

Bethlehem Premium Essential UHQCD Series

Betty Blake Betty Blake Sings in a Tender Mood (1961)
    Helen Carr Down In The Depth Of The 90th Floor (1955)
    Chris Connor Sings Lullabys of Birdland (1954)
    Chris Connor This Is Chris (1955)
    Chris Connor Chris (1954)
    Audrey Morris The Voice of Audrey Morris (1956)
    Nina Simone Little Girl Blue + 4 (1957)

Also they use shorter name for it: Bethlehem Deluxe Series

In the booklets (with lyrics) they provide old publishing info and Special Staff for Japan Edition Reissue Project info. What is important to us:
    2017 Re-Mastering Engineer: Toshiuki Abe

After I listened to all of them (I liked the sound, by the way), I started comparison.
    I took Betty Blake Sings in a Tender Mood 2014 Remaster (with 4 bonus tracks) done by very reputable label in Europe Fresh Sound, Spain and compared to new Remaster.

They both sounded so similar, as it was the same mastering. Both had a bit of vocal brightness, more noticeable in tracks 1, 7, 8 and 12 (that what strikes me) - the same thing on both discs. In fact, it's only flow I could find sonic-wise. On the other tracks, the brightness was almost unnoticeable. Overall, sound was open, airy, well-balanced with deep soundstage and good (not great, though) dynamics. Brightness became more noticeable when I cranked the volume. Bass was presented, but not as in my reference CDs. All this was common for both discs.
    UHQ added a more precise and sharper presence of sound, more clarity - it was especially obvious when the instruments played solo parts (the tenor sax comes to mind).

After the comparison, I would say: If you already have a Fresh Sound disc, do not upgrade; if you don't have it, go for UHQCD. Betty was "one time shooter" with one recorded LP, two sides single and two tracks for someone else LP - nothing else. I'm happy to keep both versions, having those 4 extra tracks on Fresh Sound CD.

I put the Betty Blake UHQCD firmly at the top of the "Very Good" section and compared to the rest of the UHQCDs, except for Nina Simon (with which I have something else to compare).

Two albums Chris Connor "Chris" and Audrey Morris "The Voice of Audrey Morris" surpassed Betty Black, bordering the categories "Best" and "Very Good" for two different reasons: "Chris" had better dynamics and a more powerful bass, while Audrey Morris had no vocal brightness at all.

Two more albums Chris Connor "This Is Chris" and "Helen Carr Down In The Depth Of The 90th Floor" ended up in the "Very Good section, matched to the performance of the Betty Blake CD.

Chris Connor "Sings Lullabys of Birdland" stood next to them in the same category with a tad lesser dynamics.

Nina Simone Little Girl Blue + 4 UHQCD vs. 2015 Analog Production Hybrid SACD

(from the SACD notes)
    "Mastered by Ryan K. Smith at Sterling Sound from the original stereo analog master tapes!

Little Girl Blue was Nina Simone's debut release. Bethlehem founder Gus Wildi, taken with the uniquely beautiful quality of her voice, gave her complete control over song selection, backing musicians, arrangements and production of the recording. Nina and her rhythm section recorded the entire album plus three additional tracks in just one session. In her biography of Nina, Nadine Cohodas recounts engineer Irv Greeenbaum's recollection of that day: "Nothing like Nina's artistry had ever happened before ... Her voice and the keyboard playing were so rich and interesting that they could have stood alone."
    Little Girl Blue documents Nina Simone's unparalleled and idiosyncratic musical persona at a particularly vibrant, formative stage, and helped launch her on a trajectory with more than its share of personal and professional trials and triumphs
    ."

Recorded late fall, 1957, at Beltone Studio, New York, NY
    Musicians:
    Nina Simone, piano and vocals
    Jimmy Bond, bass
    Albert "Tootsie" Heath, drums

From the start: we talking about heavy fighters firmly standing in the category "Best".
    Both of them sounded great, but in different ways.
    On both discs: the dynamics was huge. I added and added volume until I was just afraid of damaging the 500W speakers. (They have protection against overload, and it worked before, but who can guarantee...). I cranked the volume very high on the up-tempo track #5 "Love Me or Leave Me" - no distortions at all, just deep soundstage and clear, very detailed sound. Nina's fast piano and vocal are backed up by very well presented rhythm section. The drums here are highlights of the whole performance. Albert Heath did a nice job and, thanks to a good sound, we can hear it.

So, what was the difference? It was in sound sources. APO clamed mastering from the original stereo analog master tape and it had somewhat more primitive channels separation: Nina's vocal sounded from the left speaker, while instruments - from both. Drums had unusual presence - kind of partially from each side.

Japanese have not specified, but I think UHQCD was mastered from the copy tape with another (more symmetrical) Mix.

The next track was also up-tempo piece "My Baby Just Care for Me" completely blow me away with unlimited dynamics and a strong pulsating rhythm. Nina completely blended in it. They said "unparalleled" and "vibrant" maybe what it is. While the drummer, "Tootsie", he jumped over his head on this track. I cranked the volume and found myself walking diagonally across the room; any place - a "sweet spot"; you can hear one speaker while standing by the another.

Separation: on SACD Nina - from the left speaker, her piano - from the right one, the drums came out of the both speakers with a slight delay, creating more 3-dementionality - a nice touch.
    UHQCD had more modern Mix - everything is everywhere, speakers disappeared - natural surround sound.

On top of all, the UHQCD had more immediate, a bit "in your face" sound, while the SACD was felt a little laid back against it.

In the end, I'm glad that I have both, because they are different, but I prefer the sound of UHQCD over SACD. Highly Recommended.

Nina Simone Little Girl Blue + 4 - Best
    Chris Connor Chris - Best/Very Good*
    Audrey Morris The Voice of Audrey Morris - Best/Very Good*
    Chris Connor This Is Chris - Very Good**
    Betty Blake Betty Blake Sings in a Tender Mood - Very Good**
    Helen Carr Down In The Depth Of The 90th Floor - Very Good**
    Chris Connor Sings Lullabys of Birdland - Very Good

Comments:
    - Top position exceeds lower one
    - Marks (*) and (**) mean equal sound quality

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    PhantomStranger likes this.
  20. toilet_doctor

Lonson, thank you for stopping by.
    Please comment on Duke and "Love, Gloom, Cash, Love" titles.

[​IMG]

21. Lonson

They sound really good. That's my comment. I'm not into deeper commenting about sound quality, systems and their sound are so subjective and I'm just not into going further with comments.

I will say I prefer the sound of the US Varese cd of Duke Ellington Presents. .. the new mastering on this UHQCD doesn't please me as much. I think the mastering on the new East Coasting is excellent, and the mastering on Herbie Nichols is pretty good, I could wish for a little more bass but the drums and piano sound excellent.

Ódoligie and toilet_doctor like this.
  22. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

On what? You haven't bothered to fill in your profile. :cheers:

23. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Save your money. Pure marketing :cheers:

24. Lonson

I typo'd the Ellington cd wrong, it's the Verse cd issued in the US that I meant (Verse Records is the current owner of the Bethlehem material).

25. toilet_doctor

Dear Denis Mentz,

All info you need to know is on the front page.
    Why should I repeat it in the profile page?
    Just click on the toilet_doctor avatar.
    If you have personal questions or
    to schedule a toilet_doctor appointment,
    please feel free to contact me.
    I'm always happy to help people with Snake Oil disorder.

Your toilet_doctor