Ultimate HQCD (UHQCD) - new CD format, King Crimson on UHQCD and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Aug 10, 2016.

1. You sound like broken record. But from my ignore file, I have no idea what you’ll sound like from now on. :whistle:

2. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Ignorance is bliss. I'm ok if someone is happy with the discs, but let's recognize an MQA CD for what it is.

3. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

How can you recognize an MQA UHQCD for what it is, if you are the first one on this thread, who does ignore them. And that ignorance is a bliss, you said.

Glen Mulder and Lucca90 like this.
  4. brimuchmuze

Reviews like that perpetuate nonsense. It's not high res. Implying that an MQA CD is high resolution and better than 192/24 is just silly.

sunspot42 likes this.
  5. toilet_doctor

Japanese guy shared his experience how to rip MQA UHQCDs, using MAC and 24 bit WAV format.
    He has his own opinion on MQA CDs, based on this experience.
    It much easy to criticize, much harder to verify, brimuchmuze.
    Pro reviews are about an MQA files, not CDs. And files are OK.
    I didn't say MQA UHQCDs are great. I didn't test them. I don't have my opinion yet, because of this (but you do, brimuchmuze, you, who didn't hold them in your hands).
    I am looking for any info on them, I can find. You can name it silly - I don't care.

6. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

I'm used to hearing different CD/SACD masters & I've learned that just because something is hi-res doesn't guarantee that it will sound better. Improved technology (ie DSD mastering) does not always trump poor/unsympathetic mastering &/or deteriorating analogue tapes.

The MQA CDs that I've heard are totally different to my ears to any other CD or SACD I've heard & not in a good way.

The MQA CDs I've heard are clear & dynamic, undoubtably, but the musicians aren't playing together. Why? I can't be certain which is why I used the word "suspect" in my original post when I blamed MQA but as I've never heard this phenomena on any of the other SACDs or CDs I own it seems a fair call to blame it on MQA.

Originally I'd vaguely considered auditioning an MQA DAC to hear these CDs in their full glory.

However sanity has prevailed. In recent times Universal Japan has pushed rock platinum CDs, rock SHM SACDs, & BD discs. All these have now fallen by the wayside. With such a track record, I suspect it's only a matter of time before MQA CDs go the same way as DVD-A, HDCD, rock platinum CDs, rock SHM SACDs & BD discs.

7. toilet_doctor

- news -

It is too early for MQA DAC. Manufacturers will improve them upon ESS Technology (the most popular Sabre DAC chip maker) new chip with integral MQA rendering.
    "This new chip will make it easier and less expensive for manufacturer to include MQA in their product - no additional DSP required". So decoding will be done in one step.
    This announced new chip will be used not just in Hi-End DACs, but in the portable devices as well.
    As for MQA UHQCD, please include one $9 Sampler double CD in your next Jpn order to know how it effects your system (without decoding) for sure.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  8. toilet_doctor

P.S.

- educational -

Explanation from the manufacturer:

"The MQA encoding process folds the information from high resolution digital masters into the signal that can be recovered later.
    The “unfolding” process takes place in two steps:

The first unfold, called Core Decoding, can be done on most DSP systems, and system designers looking to implement this can take advantage of standard code. In fact, this process is already included in many existing software music applications such as Tidal, Roon, Amarra and Audirvana. Core Decoding is also available in dedicated portable devices such as Onkyo and Pioneer players as well as several smartphones.

The final step in the unfolding, called rendering, needs to be done in tight cooperation with the DAC. The quality of the rendering depends on the DAC output filters and this has typically involved hand tuning each design. But the agreement between ESS and MQA will make the whole implementation a lot easier.

"Combining the MQA rendering with the DAC will eliminate all the manual tuning and software integration that is required when using a separate DSP and stand-alone DACs. The system designer won’t need to worry about the implementation at all. Automatic rendering will allow the system to instantly detect a Core MQA stream and configure the custom filter settings to give the optimal-quality output. The combined hardware blocks allow for the solution to be implemented without a DSP, saving power as well as size and cost."

[As for portable devices]:
    ESS Technology will soon introduce SABRE Mobile DACs and Headphone Systems with integrated MQA rendering. Integrating the renderer as a hardware block coupled to the DAC achieves several advantages including ease-of-design, improved performance, and lower power.

These small and lower power solutions offer compelling value to table-top or portable players that want to offer great sounding DACs with a full MQA solution."
    (audioexpress.com)

jhm likes this.
  9. BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett Forum Resident

So, in order to spare myself reading this entire topic again, would someone please summarize exactly what masterings are on both the MQA and Redbook layers of Dire Straits “Love Over Gold” and the Police’s “Synchronicity” UHQCD pressings?

I already own the 2016 “Synchronicity” SHM-SACD, and wonder if the same master was used for both layers. And I have gotten tired of waiting for MFSL’s “Love Over Gold” SACD, and hope the best possible existing master has been utilized for the UHQCD. I am also curious about the Dire Straits self-titled debut album, but am loathe to impose further on anyone’s time.

Thanks for any trouble. Seriously, my head is spinning after reading this thread.

10. :laugh:

11. brimuchmuze

UHQCD discs don't have separate layers.

12. BrucePadgett

Okay, point taken. You know what I meant—so how’s about some help then? Are the masters in question considered the best currently available?

At least until the next “upgrade”, perhaps even before I finish typing this...

toilet_doctor likes this.
  13. toilet_doctor

Please give me a minute...

14. toilet_doctor

When it comes to costly Japanese limited editions, any question is appropriate.
    The new 'Synchronicity' is the same master, and if you already have a SHM-SACD, you don't need to worry about the new release, unless you're willing to compare them.

(from the Post #936; Page 38)
    ...we concentrate mainly on the titles with the new transfer:

9 Titles with 2018 "Latest DSD Master" (flat transfer)

Eric Clapton 461 Ocean Boulevard
    Traffic John Barleycorn Must Die
    Free Fire and Water
    The Beach Boys Pet Sounds
    (partially 2014/18)
    The Beach Boys The Endless Summer (partially 2014/18)
    The Velvet Underground & Nico S/T
    The Allman Brothers Brothers and Sisters
    Steely Dan Royal Scam
    Steely Dan Aja

However, there are two short comments on 'Synchronicity' (Post #939; Page 38).

Also, please check Post #641 and 647, Page 26 as a min guideline.

This new format is very confusing. For instance, UHQCD is physically a 2-layer disc, but has only one layer of data.
    Please read a very short and simple explanation of how MQA works in Post #937; Page 38.

To easier find posts with comments on the titles, put the name in the search and check the box "in this thread only" .

P.S.
    Please note: 2018 new transfer of Traffic John Barleycorn Must Die and Free Fire and Water sound better than SHM-SACD/Pt versions, while Steely Dan Aja is not. And Royal Scam sounds similar to Aja.

Please read these posts:
    Sonic evaluation of 5 non-decoded MQA album, comparably to Pt Wishbone Ash Argus - Post #728, Page 30, and
    Aja non-decoded MQA vs. Pt version - Post #876, Page 36.

Hope it will help...

P.S.S.
    We will talk about the prospect of the Project ...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  15. BrucePadgett

Thanks very much for your detailed response. The “Synchronicity” issue has been cleared up at the very least, but what really made me woozy were the Dire Straits issues, particularly those involving the first album. I now believe that what may be holding up MFSL’s SACD and vinyl releases may indeed involve procurement of actual masters.

Of course that’s for a different thread, but holy cow, how nany more new formats can the marketplace endure? Should MQA indeed be the Redbook Holy Grail, will the MP3-lovin’ general public even care one iota? Nah, just us guys. And should MQA’s musicality be disproven, when will us guys stop allowing ourselves to be jerked around by an ever-rapacious, seemingly desperate music industry?

Jeez, just release everything on Blu-ray and have done with these new formats already!

16. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I got the exact same Scorpions album info with The Royal Scam! Weird.

Bill Mac likes this.
  17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thanks for posting :)! I thought it was just me. It really is weird!

18. toilet_doctor

Does Oppo play it?

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

My 205 plays Steely Dan's The Royal Scam MQA CD fine. The issue is the cover art is from the Scorpions Love At First Sting album not The Royal Scam.

Coricama and toilet_doctor like this.
  20. toilet_doctor

If only this, guys, please try to answer this pair of very important questions:

1. Does it sound kind of "cheesy" to you, "like it's all surface"? Did you notice that it "sounds great at first but quickly a musical shallowness is revealed"?
    2. Did you try it in your old player with a better sound result?

(I ask personally the opinion of each of you).

21. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I had enough time to listen 2 one song. I bought a new rack so I had a ton of works to do getting everything in my system hooked back up. Then the firmware update took an hour. I'll have time this weekend to evaluate the whole thing.

22. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Oppo plays The Royal Scam.

23. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

OK, I've listened to TRS 5 times with MQA on the UDP 205. I like it a lot. Drums, cymbals, guitars and vocals all sound better than the two other CD versions I have. Now playing it for the third time on a Modwright 105D. I had a stock 105D for 3-4 years before getting the Modwright and in my opinion, the Modwright is a big improvement over the stock 105D. Anyway, I think this CD sounds great without the MQA coding as well, and for the same reasons. Here are some caveats: the Modwright and ICs are both well broken in and the 205 and its ICs are brand new.
    My take away is only this: I like the new TRS mastering better than the previous masterings I've heard. I certainly don't hear any huge improvement OR decrease in enjoyment with MQA or without. As these were mastered from a DSD master, I really hope they release a TRS SACD.

24. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Ok, I just ripped The Royal Scam on JRiver and this CD has a DR of 14.5! No wonder I like it. JRiver ripped it as 16/44 BTW.

25. toilet_doctor

I'd like to comment a little on what you said:

1. 2018 transfer of Steely Dan 'The Royal Scam' in MQA UHQCD format sounds good, having excellent dynamics and surpassing previous CD mastering, regardless of whether it goes with a MQA decoding using Oppo BDP-205 or without MQA decoding via Modwright BDP-105D.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Modwright 105D is a modified version of Oppo 105D, with improved output circuit by adding tubes and additional external power supply with a rectifier - optional).
    Modwright-Oppo BDP-105 with “Truth” Modifications

2. There is no decrease in a sound quality in decoded MQA version vs. its non-decoded counterpart.
    Any kind of "cheesiness", "shallowness" of sound in long listening were absent.

3. There was no significant improvement in the decoded version of MQA using the new, rather than broken-in, Oppo 205 (with new interconnects) compared to its non-decoded version using well broken-in Modwright 105D and interconnects).

(The minimum break-in period for serious electronics is 48 hours, for cables and speakers - 100 hours.
    Some cables are particularly stubborn. My previous copper speaker cable Analysis Plus Oval 8 was so good at highs, but shy at the bottom end when it was new. Nevertheless, I bought it regardless, and time showed how right I was. It took about 6 months of normal listening, but a good bass opened up anyway. Later, I read in one review that Analysis Plus recommended a break-in time for its Oval 8 cable - 300 hours).
    In addition, the Modwright 105D far outperforms the Oppo 105D, so perhaps it still is the best performer against 205 as well(?)

Thank you very much for taking the time for a long term listening and report.

We are only taking the first steps to sort this out.
    Next week, I'm waiting for my Wishbone Ash Argus MQA UHQCD, and I invited my friend to do a blind test against the Pt SHM and SHM-SACD versions.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018