UMe prepping Blu-ray Audio titles for Europe (pt3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Mar 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melkor_morgoth

melkor_morgoth The Real Toe

I'm interested in Blue Train because, unlike previous remasters/reissues, this new BR-A is listed as having two alternate takes each for "Blue Train" (takes 7 and 8) and "Lazy Bird" (takes 1 and 2).

2. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

What's up with the PET SOUNDS Blu-ray Audio Disc's release date? Latest I heard was late July ...

3. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

I have the Herbie disc, though not had a chance to listen to it. Content is mastered by three people Empyrian Isles Bernie , the Empyrian bonus tracks Robert Vosgiem, and Maiden Voyage Alan Yoshida.
    All allegedly 96/24 though I don't have the equipment to prove that prefer to use my ears.
    Could make for an interesting listen !

fredblue likes this.
  4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

As I noted in the Pet Sounds hi-rez thread earlier today, amazon.com has revised the delivery estimate to August 28, 2015.

5. KeithH

By Bernie, I assume you mean Bernie Grundman. If so, between him and Alan Yoshida, this disc should sound great.

Who mastered Blue Train and the Miles Davis Blue Note disc?

6. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

I just got the Herbie HFPA today. FYI, Empyrean Isles has the same waveforms as the HDTracks, and looks identical other than how they handled silent spacing before and after tracks. I haven't listened to it yet.

fredblue likes this.
  7. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

BTW, their marketing is terrible. Ignore the sticker on the front of the Herbie HFPA that states "24/96", the one on the back that states "minimum 24/192" is correct for this title, though we know it doesn't apply to the series in general...

[​IMG]

bru87tr and fredblue like this.
  8. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

I would be interested in the details on Miles Davis disc as well

9. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Yes

10. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Would love to hear feedback on the Herbie Hancock Bluray, once someone listens to it.

11. Vinyl Fan 1973

Did anyone get a chance to hear the Herbie Hancock bluray release?

12. 007james

007james Forum Resident

I have this on order and it should be delivered soon. I hope it's as good as Nightclubbing Blu-Ray......

13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Still waiting for my copy to arrive from over seas.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  14. Lonson

Mine arrived. Listened to a bit of Empyrean Isles, and then a bit of Maiden Voyage. The latter sounds a bit better, but I think it always does. Sound is very good.

15. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Yes What i have listened to so far is very good.

I do prefer the sound of the bonus tracks On Empyrean Isles side to teh main album, but that is me possibly.

This is also a return to the horrible on screen menu that HFPA discs originally had. a small box full of numbers and a large picture.

It also default started with the DTS rather than PCM

16. Vinyl Fan 1973

Great stuff. Well if Alan Yoshida mastered Maiden Voyage, then I'm not surprised it sounds better. I'm a big fan of his work.

17. Lonson

Grundman does good work too. I think the source recording for Maiden Voyage is better.

18. KeithH

Thanks for confirming that it is Bernie Grundman on the Hancock disc.

19. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

I searched the thread, but didnt find any reviews for the John Coltrane - A Love Supreme blu-ray audio. Does anyone have it? Planning to order it together with Blue Train.

20. Vinyl Fan 1973

It's awesome! Great sound quality, and the live show from France is a really nice bonus. I highly recommend.

fredblue and Marko K like this.
  21. Vinyl Fan 1973

Finally picked up the Herbie Hancock during lunch, and I'll report back after I give it a few listens. I'm really looking forward to hearing these two albums.

22. melkor_morgoth

melkor_morgoth The Real Toe

I bought the Blue Train BR-A. The main album tracks feature the credit "Mastered by Alan Yoshida" -- I believe they're identical to the 2012 HDtracks offering, although I've yet to closely compare the two; the alternate takes were "mastered by Robert Vosgien at Capitol Mastering."

jfeldt likes this.
  23. beatlebum

beatlebum Forum Resident

Starwanderer, jfeldt and fredblue like this.
  24. KeithH

I am listening to the main Blue Train album tracks right now, and they sound very good. There is hiss and air around the instruments. It does not sound flat or muffled, nor does it sound "hot" or bright. This disc has good tonality, which I would expect from Mr. Yoshida.

25. KeithH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.