Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Yes, single-camera footage, and not a great recording in terms of sound quality. But prime Who, anyway.

2. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

A couple years ago I bought the Texas '75 video off of iTunes, and some people here were savaging it for the quality issues. When it comes to the Who, I could care less. Great audio and video quality would be, um, great, but it's hardly essential to my enjoyment of the original lineup. But then I was never the type to purchase music on the sole basis of it being audiophile quality and irrespective of genre.

3. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

As far as The Who DVDs go, my collection includes:

The Kids are Alright
    Who's Next: Classic Albums
    The Who & Special Guests Live at the Royal Albert Hall (Nov. 2000)
    Amazing Journey: The Story of The Who (3 DVD)

Oh, and I think I have 30 Years of Maximum R&B on VHS, but haven't played it in 15 years or so - I mean who has a VCR hooked up these days?

Rne and wavethatflag like this.
  4. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Great list. I have these including Maximum R&B on DVD. The Who at the Isle of Wight is worth picking up too.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    Rne likes this.
  5. wlove2372

wlove2372 Forum Resident

Jim James digs the old stuff and his voice is an instrument.

6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

National holiday today.
    I started with the awaited surround Pepper (you don't need to see that front cover once again, do you? Ok, I can offer you a very nice outtake):
    [​IMG]

And now, some funky Zappa filling the room (Bianca, the bionic woman!):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

69 Pink Floyd box. August session is awesome

footlooseman and Rne like this.
  8. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Rne - knowing you are a big Floyd fan and fan of the box, besides the above set I just bought, what do you recommend next? I was looking at the 1970 set next. I never loved Atom Heart Mother but the last box has 1 disc of Obscured By Clouds and although I love it, I have the fine 2011 CD.

Maybe I should wait until I play the DVD and Blue Ray from the set I bought. I haven't even got to the second CD and I'm thinking about what next?!?!? egads

Rne likes this.
  9. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The 1970 set is excellent, but since you're not fond of Atom Heart Mother, you might not enojoy it much. It also includes, though, lots of tracks from the Zabriskie Point sessions which are beautiful.
    I prefer the original mix of Obscured by Clouds, and since the Pompeii set is awfully mastered, I don't have much interest in the audio part of the 1972 set.

footlooseman likes this.
  10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Original mix (flat transfer)

11. Bingo

Bingo Forum Resident

12. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Actually, I still do. I have some amazing concert vids that have never been released on DVD or Blu-Ray. Peter Gabriel POV for one, plus some reggae sunsplash concerts that are now obscure.

notesofachord likes this.
  13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I just found the live version of China Cat->Rider by Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks that I caught live in SF last year at Spiral Stairs' 50th b-day show at The Chapel. One of only a couple of times they've played it live that I know of, and Malkmus clearly hadn't rehearsed the lyrics to China Cat so it's mostly gibberish made up on the spot, but pretty funny at the time, and generally some loose but trippy fun.

Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks: China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider (live)

rockinlazys and wavethatflag like this.
  15. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

That Fairport disc is fantastic. I only went for the best-of disc, although I was pretty tempted.

I've been hearing about a relatively new (5 years or so) psychedelic rock band from Oz with the unlikely name of King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard. They've put out 10 (!) albums in 5 years and are building up quite a reputation for live performance. Anyone here ever seen/heard them? They're coming back to the WC in early October and I am liking what I am hearing so far. There is a thread but only about half a dozen people posted there. They did sell out their Portland show in April, so they might be on to something.

notesofachord and Rne like this.
  16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I've heard (and liked) their song Rattlesnake and have a lot of friends who have talked them up, but haven't gotten around to picking up an album or seeing them live yet. Definitely on my radar to check out soon.

ducksdeluxe likes this.
  17. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Listening to it for the very first time.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  18. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

[​IMG]

Ivand likes this.
  19. deadjazz

deadjazz Well-Known Member

The best live rock band out there touring on the regular IMHO. Followed by Tedeschi Trucks Band. I've seen them 13 times and looking forward to 3 more shows this summer.

My favorite albums - At Dawn, Z

My favorite MMJ shows that I've seen
    1) MMJ back Roger Waters for a full set at NFF
    2) Red Rocks 2016 Night 1 & 2

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    Crispy Rob and Erik B. like this.
  20. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

TTB would be so much better without the first T

IMHO of course

21. deadjazz

deadjazz Well-Known Member

Ouch. I dig the rasp. She also helps round out the band and to encompass all angles as a female lead. She's a decent guitarist too. That said, give me more DT jam please.

22. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

i've seen them live. She reminds me of overbearing girlfriends/wives. Which is funny, all things considered. Even the name -- she has to be first.
    :hurl::hurlleft:

23. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

24. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

25. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I love the use of harmonica in their jams. I have two of their LPs at this point.