Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

guitar speak 2 -no speak 1990....10 of the best guit. players in history....and the Rhino 1992 SUMMER OF LOVE volume 2: Turn on. Mind expansion & signs of the times.

2. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

John Carter/Bobby Bradford Quintet: Self Preservation Music

1970 studio recording originally issued on Flying Dutchman Records. Was the follow-up to the slightly superior Flight for Four which was a quartet (without the extra double bassist).

Essential post-Ornette LA based groove based free jazz with most of the compositions penned by the *great* John Carter. We also get more saxophone from Carter than b-flat clarinet. He would switch to 100% b-flat by the late 70's and become the greatest modern day clarinettist in the world. Nobody yet has approached his legacy on the instrument.

notesofachord likes this.
  3. Mike Campbell

peter green's remastered - The end of the game.......How on Gods green earth did I miss this one for all these years.....Holy holy holy. what a brilliant piece of music. Puts anything he did with Mac to shame....wow. From about 1996 I believe.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    footlooseman likes this.
  4. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

It's from 1970, according to the Internet...

5. Mike Campbell

remastered in 1996. says the right on the cd. original was 70.....but this remaster is stupendous.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    footlooseman likes this.
  6. bzfgt

Oh, I see.

7. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I've only got 11 Blakey/Jazz Messengers CDs, but Moanin' is definitely one of 'em.

:winkgrin:

Crispy Rob, Erik B. and Archtop like this.
  8. notesofachord

Miles Davis - Nefertiti MFSL sacd
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My favorite LP of the great second Miles Quintet, and it's sounding better than I've ever heard before. Absolute heaven, I tell ya...

9. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

10. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

one of my favorite lps. sadly because it got **** reviews compared to his previous release with the old band "then play on" one of the great rock records of the late sixties and its not commercial its been less explored. but on its own merits and for any classic rock guitar enthusiast its a must have. monstrous. the dead and their chemicals must have been in the equation

Crispy Rob and rockinlazys like this.
  11. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Ordered both of those Blakey mini-boxes and the Peter Green CD which is mostly likely right in my wheelhouse, plus X Live in Los Angeles. All their live releases are awesome; hadn't heard of that one. A nice bundle for less than $40.

Crispy Rob and notesofachord like this.
  12. notesofachord

You just reminded me that I need to buy tickets for the X show in Vegas later this summer.
    :thumbsup:

Crispy Rob, Erik B. and ducksdeluxe like this.
  13. notesofachord

I spun the double LP version of this tonight for the first time. What an amazing show!

Jimi Hendrix - Machine Gun: The Fillmore East First Show 12/31/69
    [​IMG]

14. notesofachord

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - I'm in Your Mind Fuzz
    [​IMG]

Hmm... let's see. Acid rock with dual drummers, a keyboard/harmonica player, dual guitars and a light show. Remind you of anything?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:agree:

15. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

[​IMG]

YOB - Clearing the Path to Ascend

"Marrow" is the most mindblowing 18 mins 40-odd seconds I've heard all year. Damn hippies <3

Crispy Rob and footlooseman like this.
  16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Depressed, anxious, etc. I need to ease my mind:
    [​IMG]
    I hope it works.

notesofachord and footlooseman like this.
  17. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

19. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Ted Sirota's Rebel Souls - propaganda

[​IMG]

20. bzfgt

That album mostly reminds me of Thee Oh Sees...although the dual guitars and harmonica lead me to suspect you mean someone else...

21. bzfgt

Loop, Wire, Spiritualized, The Black Angels lately...

22. Mike Campbell

Sixto Rodriguez 2008 remaster............A household name, and legend in South Africa...., unknown here....some say better than Dylan.....many are right.

23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I replaced my old trusty Panasonic headphones (may them rest in peace) with a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M40X (an upgrade). Natural and balanced sound, a truly revealing experience. This morning I used them to listen to the following items while commuting:
    • "Dark Star", 2/22/69 (the one from 30 Trips). I will not comment on this one because this is the UN-grateful thread.
    • Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus, by (who else?) Charles Mingus. Lovely collection of reworked tunes. (I listened to this while reading Raymond Chandler).
    • "Close To The Edge", by Yes, which I couldn't finish, even though I was trying to walk really slowly.
    I'm not satisfied with my life, but fortunately some things still leave me with nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.

And now, at work, with the headphones resting, and listening to this:
    [​IMG]

budwhite, Crispy Rob, Archtop and 3 others like this.
  24. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Rodrigo Amado Motion Trio

recorded 7/16/2009

On European Echoes

the seeds of the even better various small group recordings from the great saxophonist on Not Two & No Business

25. notesofachord

Nice. This reminds me of a similar upgrade in headphones (Audio Technica ATH A700) that I made in 2008. It was my first small step into better sound. One of the first things I played on the new 'phones was Live/Dead. Of course, many years later I have better speakers, amps and disc players too.

Rne likes this.