Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Good to hear and best luck with that. Good thing about music is that it is still there waiting if and when we are ready.

King Gizz are really cool, btw.

2. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

3. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

4. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

(Not going to upload the Hitchhiker cover to prevent @Rne from screaming - and yes he was joking because he loves it too - but it's sounding awfully good right now as a mellow follow-up to some '78 Dead.) :)

5. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both on vinyl. opening cure record for the first time...it was 4 bucks.

6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Such an excellent live album.

7. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I'm a simple man. I play this at night.
    [​IMG]

The All-Music Review:

"The third in a series of Charlie Haden duet projects for Verve in the 1990s finds the increasingly nostalgia-minded bass player working New York City's Iridium jazz club with pianist Kenny Barron. Moreover, it is entirely possible that we are getting a skewed view of the gig; according to Haden, he and his co-producer wife Ruth tilted this album heavily in the direction of romantic ballads, eliminating the bebop and avant-garde numbers that the two may have also played at the club. Be that as it may, this is still a thoughtful, intensely musical, sometimes haunting set of performances, with Barron displaying a high level of lyrical sensitivity and Haden applying his massive tone sparingly. Most of the seven tracks are fantasias on well-known standards, although one of the most eloquent performances on the disc is Barron's playing on his own 'Twilight Song.' If Haden deliberately set out to create a single reflective mood, he certainly succeeded, although those coming to Haden for the first time through this and most of his other '90s CDs would never suspect that this man once played such a fire-breathing role in the jazz avant-garde. Serial Hoffman Music Forum poster wavethatflag listens to this at night, as he is a simple man."

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  8. BurtThomasWard

9. wlove2372

wlove2372 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

The National. Sleep Well Beast is a brilliant record.

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

There's been rumor about Neil Young's health etc. He hasn't been on stage for almost a year, very unlike Neil.
    Well I'm watching Farm Aid from this Saturday youtube stream and it took a couple of minutes to put all that to rest. Neil looks good, is moving around like his younger self and kills it on the guitar.
    Made my day! Long may you run

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    Erik B., rockinlazys, adamos and 2 others like this.
  11. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I'm feeling extremely drowsy. Since I don't drink coffee, I have to rely on energetic music:
    [​IMG]

12. BurtThomasWard

Black coffee is the liquid of life, my feathered friend. But Black Sab is a good substitute. That used to be a very underrated album but nowadays people luv it.

rockinlazys, Crispy Rob and Rne like this.
  13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I don't like coffee, and if I liked it, let's say my stomach wouldn't be to happy with it. I've loved Sabotage from the very first time I listened to it approximately 25 years ago. Lots of changes and different moods flow with ease within each song, it's a very ambitious album. But that's the way Black Sabbath was during its golden days.

Erik B. and BurtThomasWard like this.
  14. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Josh Berman Quartet: The Tree on The Mound

recorded 11/21/2011 - recorded in the studio in New Orleans

Josh Berman: trombone
    Joshua Abrams: double bass
    Edward "Kidd" Jordan: tenor saxophone
    Hamid Drake: drums

Recorded about 16 months after the death of Fred Anderson and with the opening and closing tracks being two of Fred's relatively few compositions (Anderson stopped playing or writing notated music over the last 20 years of his life - the time frame when he finally became known outside of Chicago), this recording serves as a tribute of sorts to the grand master tenor man.

With Jordan & Drake on hand, we have possibly his two most important collaborators and the results are moving, invigorating and even surprising. Maybe my favorite recording of Jordan.

On Rogue Art records

15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Not an easy path to follow, but rewarding.

Dahabenzapple likes this.
  16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Frank's two solos on "Drowning Witch" are definitive moments in the art of electric guitar playing. Period.

17. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

[​IMG]

On Vinyl-it's so much different than the digital version I am used to....

18. Dahabenzapple

Fred was/is one of my very favor musicians ever. I was able to see him play 3 times before he passed away. Once at his club, the legendary Velvet Lounge on Indiana Avenue in Chicago probably in 1997 or 98, then at Vision Fest in NYC in either 1999 or 2000 and then once shortly after he turned 80 years old in 2009 at a later version of Vision Fest.

The earlier Vision Fest set with Kidd Jordan, William Parker & Hamid Drake was one of the greatest 4-5 shows I've ever experienced. The hardest grooving, swinging jazz show this boy will ever see/hear/feel/experience. People were dancing in the aisles like it was a Dead show. William & Hamid were at peak power and Fred & Kidd were reading each other's minds.

I get goose bumps just thinking about it.

Like the dudes who saw great Dead shows, I'm blessed to have seen shows like this one. Like Coltrane & Dolphy for me, for sure and William Parker & Hamid Drake to this day for what they do are unmatched as the greatest bass/drums tandem this music has ever seen with all due respect to teams like Chambers/Philly Joe, Garrison/Elvin, Ron Carter/Tony Williams, Charlie Haden/Edward Blackwell, Fred Hopkins/Steve McCall, Dave Holland/Barry Altschul, Wilbur Morris/Denis Charles, Mark Dresser/Gerry Hemingway or John Edwards/Steve Noble.

Not a contest but I also get a few pinch me moments when I think about how great all of these musicians are and I also still get a bit sad when I realize besides the famous dudes from the 50's & 60's, most listeners will never listen to the rest of these giants.

19. BurtThomasWard

More for me, then ;)

Nah, I'm just in a good, playful mood. No harm or offence meant in any way, to each his own and so forth. This one and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath are my favorites by the band. Ambitious and great.

And why am I in such a good mood, you might ask? Well, I discovered this thing here on YT :love::love::love:

Erik B., cedarbrew, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Powerage is my favorite of theirs, but like you said, all their early stuff is great.

21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    The Glasgow show from this astounding box set. Wow.

22. Dahabenzapple

FIRE! Orchestra: Exit

Mats Gustaffson leads this 30 piece monster

Maybe it's rock, maybe it's something else.

Would give my well you know to see any version of this band - usually 25+ strong live, I think

Some of the great free improvisors play on this record: Magnus Broo, Fredrik Lundquist, Per Ake Holmlander, Sten Sandell & Raymond Strid are all here.

23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

24. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

I believe this should read Jeff Albert - Josh plays cornet. Josh and Jeff were both in the Lucky 7s - great band - saw them put on a great show - think it was at the Empty Bottle in Chicago. One of the few great things that came out Hurricane Katrina.

And speaking of Fred Anderson stories - my favorite of mine is being able to sit next to him on a couch at the Empty Bottle watching a William Parker Quartet show - it was only time I seen Parker's Quartet play. It was a great evening.
    I lived on the North Side during the mid 90s/early 00's - so I was fortunate to see him perform a lot. Sitting next to him a great show was a different experience.

Now playing:
    Jim Black's AlasNoAxis Antiheroes release (via Spotify)

Dahabenzapple and budwhite like this.
  25. wlove2372

wlove2372 Forum Resident