Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

You may or may not find this interesting: Popdose Flashback ’90: Andrew Ridgeley, “Son of Albert”
    I found it an interesting read. I never heard the album. But I always feel for the abandoned second banana, even if talent wasn't in the quotient. I gotta wonder, would there have been a Wham! or George Michael without this guy? Maybe not.

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  2. wavethatflag

I do have it, Mr. Arch Top.

Archtop likes this.
  3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Well then, there may be a sliver of hope for you yet. :nyah:

bzfgt likes this.
  4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

[​IMG]

Guitar driven rock n roll with cool vocals. What's not to like :cheers:

Crispy Rob, notesofachord and adamos like this.
  5. wavethatflag

Now you're pushing it. Hope only begets disappointment. Better to be monk-like and only live in the present as the wind whistles through your porch chimes and knocks your empty rice bowl off the table.

"A solitary Buddhist Monk threw me a rope. Looked me in the eye. And said, 'Don't make me say this twice. You want to be a monk, you got to cook a lot of rice.'" -- Diamond David Lee Roth

6. wavethatflag

And then I just bought the out of production, limited supplies, EVH Zippo lighter. I don't smoke cigarettes! I hardly ever carry a lighter. Except when I go camping. Yeah, that's it, camping. Only when I go camping. Ha!

7. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Back to the awesome David S Ware trio recording at The Blue Note 10/4/2010. I'm in the middle of the tenor saxophone section of the first set. What a sound.

fwiw the recorded sound on this AUM Fidelity 2 CD is really amazing. Played loud, sounds like the late great big man is right in front of me.

I'm certainly regretting not going that night. Glad I was able to see him a few times over the years. He was booked to play in June 2012 at Vision Fest but alas he was too ill to play and passed away a few months later. As has been said before his playing towards the end was as viscerally powerful as ever and emotionally it is through the roof.

8. budwhite

Re-watching. What a great loss.

[​IMG]

9. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

10. wavethatflag

Oh get over it Bud, he's in a better place now.

Dude, just kidding (sort of), I've met you in person so I feel as though I can give you worse crap here than I would otherwise, ho, ho.

I need to watch that movie again though.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    budwhite and bzfgt like this.
  11. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Funny article. And a bit sad.

I see from the related ones that he is something of a running joke over there, even if I'm pretty sure the one about George Michael having 'at least 99% of the musical talent' probably is acurate.

wavethatflag likes this.
  12. wavethatflag

Yeah, and if it's true he was like George Michael's motivator and coach in the beginning, so what if he wasn't really playing anything or singing? I mean look what at what Wham! was--a UK pop band. That's basically license for purposeful over-hype, artifice, illusion, and outright scam. Although the whole Milli Vanilli saga has Ridgely's play-acting beat for commercial deception by several orders of magnitude.

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  13. budwhite

I just love this song

14. BurtThomasWard

15. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

This is nostalgia for me, I grew up in Liverpool at this time.
    [​IMG]

16. wavethatflag

I don't have this but I've heard about these sets, are they good?

17. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

Dean Martin - Very Best of Capitol and Reprise Years
    Eyes Wide Shut
    strk
    Machine Head - Burn My Eyes

I saw that Rollins Band tour for End of Silence, in 1992. I had heard he was good, but did not know his stuff nor much Black Flag, and took a guy from work who had not been to many rock shows and said he would come to the next thing I went to see.

Rollins Band were touring Europe with RHCP and did a rare headline show round the corner from me. I went along with this guy Jason from the same accountancy firm as me, he was in his early twenties. Once we got in I looked at the audience and the setup and realised it was going to be heavier than I had anticipated, and I asked Jason if he had ever been to anything like this before. 'Like what?', he said, and I asked 'Heavy?'

'Oh yes', he said, 'I went to see Gary Moore...'

Just then Rollins came on with the band and looking seemingly straight down at us just said 'Well, good luck!' and they pounded out much of the End of Silence album plus other stuff like 'Do It' and 'Lonely'. Whenever I managed to negotiate the frantic moshing to check Jason was OK he had a look usually seen on those witnessing apparent miracles, and he later said it was the best thing he had ever seen.

Happy days.

Have we all heard Rollins do 'Franklin's Tower' on the Wartime album? There is a posting on Youtube but the image is disgusting - you can also find there the whole mini-album Fast Food For Thought.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    rockinlazys and Crispy Rob like this.
  18. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

What about Mike Mattison?

Erik B., cacaaaaaaw and budwhite like this.
  19. wavethatflag

I've got all my Paul Weller solo on shuffle as I'm seeing him tonight in Berkeley and the UC Theatre! ... theatre ... theatre ... theatre ... theatre.

20. BurtThomasWard

That was probably one of the reasons GM let him keep his co-write on "Careless Whisper", even if that song was written years before they met. Say what you might about George and his bathroom activities (no concern of mine) but he struck me as a genuinely caring and giving human being.

The first two are awesome. I might even prefer this over the expanded original because there is so many great tracks from Australia and the Netherlands on it. A gem!

wavethatflag likes this.
  21. budwhite

22. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Bardo Pond Amanita

johnnypaddock and rockinlazys like this.
  23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

24. wavethatflag

Only highbrow stuff today:
    [​IMG]

25. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Pere Ubu New Picnic Time

rockinlazys likes this.