Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

aHAHAHa! That's funny...

Stereo for me......: )

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  2. Michael

best sounding version out there! for me. : )

royzak2000 likes this.
  3. Michael

age CD
    friggin' tragic how we lost Merle...I love my Doc Watson On Stage CD...

budwhite and bzfgt like this.
  4. Michael

Doc Watson On Stage after seeing the above photo...

5. Michael

IMO,probably one of the best sounding bluegrass albums in glorious stereo...

budwhite likes this.
  6. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

It's superb but an early vinyl is better.

Michael likes this.
  7. Michael

I had the original first edition vinyl pressing...have you heard the bear family Flatt & Scruggs box with this album in stereo?...it's as good or if not better...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Cool, I haven't gone further than the first three albums with the Pretenders but should check out the rest sometime. I have liked the few later songs that I've heard.

9. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

10. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Saw Doc Watson in college at a small club about a year after Merle's death. He had another young cat accompanying him and he would occasionally slip up and call him Merle and then apologize. What a tremendous talent. Anytime I've had a bad night of sleep, I'm always reminded of his line "the way I been sleepin', my back and shoulders tired..." Wore out his greatest hits cassette.

11. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Been a while since my last post.So its time for a update.

1.The 5 Royales The Complete Singles 1952-1962 and as I suspected every song is GREAT! Will be all over this for quite a while.So much wonderful music on this set.

notesofachord likes this.
  12. Michael

I LOVE DOC! I jammed with Doc twice...when I first met him his handshake was very sincere.
    a gentle pleasant fellow...I was honored.

13. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

14. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

"Cuban Slide" is a must! If you go the vinyl route you can get it on the 1981 5-track mini-album Extended Play.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alternatively, you could get the 2CD Rhino expanded version of the debut on which "Cuban Slide" and "Porcelain" open the bonus disc.

...and no, I don't only love it just because it starts with that Bo Diddley/NFA beat that our GD heroes played so often (but it doesn't hurt). ;)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  15. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

James Honeyman-Scott is one of my favorites. That sound! Country, yet urban. Twangy, but really more sophisticated than twangy.

You do not get that sound at her shows anymore, at least not as of Break Up The Concrete, I think it was called.

For me, things really started to go south with Get Close. That was the last one I bought. If any of her later albums are good, I wouldn't know though because I haven't really heard them.

16. notesofachord

Re: Early Beatles

The Silver Beetles > The Beatles

[​IMG]

Disheveled, greasy-haired, black-clothes wearin' rockers > cute, mod-haircut, suit wearin' poppers
    ...in other words.

BurtThomasWard and Crispy Rob like this.
  17. notesofachord

As an aside, I love playing/singing " 'Til There was You" on the guitar. Some lovely chords on that one.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  18. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I really disslike the early stereo panning. Mono up to '67 for me. Sgt Pepper and White Album works either way.

Archtop, Rne and Crispy Rob like this.
  19. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Jim Walker likes this.
  20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I saw him once in '96 or '97 at the Luther Burbank Center in Santa Rosa, great show. Always loved his Southbound album that I discovered through a college roommate. The recent Owsley recording release is fantastic as well.

21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Keeping the Pretenders thing going with the MoFi SACD of Pretenders II tonight. Point re: Cuban Slide duly noted. I will see whether I find a used copy of the 2-CD version of the debut or the vinyl version of the EP first, don't think I really need to do a deep dive into the bonus tracks otherwise but open to more suggestions. I will say this, I don't subscribe to the notion that II is much of a drop off from the debut.

22. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Viva el Amor and Break Up the Concrete are both, at least in my opinion, just as good or even better than Learning to Crawl.

I think that it is better. The one-two punch of those harsh opening tracks and that sequence of track 3 to 11 that is pure pop perfection. In fact, the album is so great that they had to include that abomination "Louie Louie" to conclude the whole thing in such a way that they would actually be able to follow it ;)

rockinlazys and Crispy Rob like this.
  23. BurtThomasWard

Man, where did they get those shoes? Ringo must have had some sorta plastic surgery, I think.

24. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I am leaning toward thinking II is better as well. I even liked Louie Louie, so sue me.

rockinlazys and BurtThomasWard like this.
  25. BurtThomasWard

I have absolutely no problem with that, my friend. As long as I can keep on hating it with a passion ;)

Seriously, I think that the songwriting on both of those are about equal, but that perhaps the sequencing has a better flow on II.

Crispy Rob likes this.