Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

I actually still like the Beatles a lot, but the fans kill them for me. Evey time I want to put on a record, I think about all the ridiculous things I've heard people say about 'em (best. evvarr. invented doom metal and atomic power. pete besst besst drømmer eVVVarr. ringo got smal nos. e.t.c. ad nauseam #9) over the years and it just DESTROYS it.

Hehehehe, a better "Hey Jude" than the Pig. No way, maaaaaaan.

2. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Eh. When I want to play some music, by any musician or band, I just do it. At that moment I certainly don't care about what folks on the interwebs think about it. It's just a musical relationship between me and the band (unless someone else is listening in the room/car with me).

That being said, I rarely listen to the Beatles for similar "burned out" reasons others have stated.

3. BurtThomasWard

Well, you are just a better and stronger person than me, I'm afraid :D

If you think that your fatigue is totally unrelated to all the hype, that is great. But how could it be? Oversaturation and mental torture is so close to each other. And it is not only on the net. I have actually known a few people in real life, as well. And the problem with Beatlemaniacs is that they all say exactly the same things. The lot of them.

Edit: and it is not people telling me what I can listen to. If it was, I'd be listening to the Beatles , now wouldn't I? ;)

4. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

The thing is about some of that great '60s pop-rock like The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Byrds, Simon & Garfunkel, The Kinks, etc:

I know the music so well that even if I don't spin the discs often, the music is still an integral part of my cultural being and soul. It's ingrained in my brain and that's a very good thing. For example, during a trip to a record store earlier this week, one of the CDs playing on the in-store mix was The Rolling Stones Flowers. Every time one of the songs came on, I couldn't help but quietly sing along while browsing the bins. I mean songs like "Sittin' On a Fence", "Ruby Tuesday", "Take it or Leave It", "Lady Jane", "Out of Time", etc. - I know them all by heart and love them.

Ditto for The Beatles.

5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That's a great one!

6. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Man, that sucks BTW. I listen to Fab Four all the time, especially the early stuff (usually in mono, because that’s how it was originally intended to be heard) but I also haven’t dived into the Beatles threads around here or elsewhere on the interwebs. Like Motown (Detroit area native), Beatles are an Ur band, part of my musical DNA.

7. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

When I was 7 I wanted to change my middle name to George, so there's that. George always was my favorite, and All Things Must Pass is absolutely exempt from any boycott. Along with John Barleycorn Must Die, ATMP was my first rock LP-age 11. Both are definitely part of my musical DNA.

It's the fans as BTW said above. And it's McCartney. I can comfortably avoid any of his material from here on. Too complacent and unadventurous for me on the whole. A few exceptions-particularly on the White Album, but he bores me. As does almost everything they did before Revolver.

Fatigue is the right word. I grew up with them, the Beach Boys and the Monkees in extremely heavy rotation, and I'm done with all of them.

BurtThomasWard and footlooseman like this.
  8. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

i know where i want to be when i read a rory gallagher lyric

rockinlazys and BurtThomasWard like this.
  9. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

10. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Don't sleep on the 2003 Riot Act Tour Live Official Bootlegs

[​IMG]

adamos likes this.
  11. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Not liking the Beatles is like not liking the sun.

12. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

To me not liking free improvisation is like missing out on the most mysterious and exciting music in the universe:)

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

You asked for it, fellas.
    [​IMG]
    Listening to the 2017 remix. Some people hate it, but (even though it's mastered a bit loudly) I find it pretty insteresting and refreshing.

Crispy Rob, Erik B., adamos and 2 others like this.
  14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    How can a band go from "Heroin" to "Jesus" in just two years?, some people ask. I find it almost logic. After the caustic peak of decadence and excess of White Light/White Heat, the quiet desperation of The Velvet Underground is not surprising. The band does not abandon the darkness (after all, people look well in the dark), nor the heterodox searchs, as the neatly planned chaos of "The Murder Mystery" clearly shows. Another artistic triumph, and possibly my favorite VU album.
    (Listening to the "Valentin mix" for a change. I consider the "closet mix" to be the one).

15. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Julian Cope Jehovahkill

GBV Alien Lanes

Groundhogs Thank Christ for the Bomb

16. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Another one I decided to check out after seeing it here.

17. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I played all Faces records earlier in the week. Ron Wood had a great career for sure. The Jeff Beck Group albums with Wood on bass are other favorites.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  18. budwhite

[​IMG]
    John Mayall & Bluesbreakers. Bare wires
    Mick Taylor on lead guitar. Peter Green plays on two tracks. Laid back. Good stuff!

19. BurtThomasWard

Well now, seriously, I've written words to the exact same effect as yours time and time again, but it would be nigh on impossible to know where and when :D

I know every note, every word, every nuance of every Beatles song and have for a very long time. I can play 'em all on my internal jukebox. Any part of them. I know how big Ringo's nose is. And where John flubs a line. If Macca pulls off a brilliant bassline more or less as a mistake. And which George songs aren't tuneless dirges. It is a very good thing. But it also lessens any need to actually play those records. All the hype and hyperbole does not help, because it seems to me that so many of their fans are just that: fanatics. And blind devotion is such a big turn off for me that it probably takes something away from my enjoyment of the groups music.

Another factor here is that I grew up on the Beatles and that they have been played all around me all my life. I am very grateful (hah) for this, because I think a lot of my love for music stems from this and also that their musical curiosity made it easier for me to want to explore other genres and be less one tracked when it came to what is 'right' or 'wrong' in music. Too bad a certain part of the fan base seems to be thinking in the exact opposite direction.

As for the Stones, the Kinks, Dylan and Zeppelin (to name but four) I mostly discovered those on my own instead of being rased on them. And as such they are less familiar and also gives me a different sort of listening pleasure than the Beatles does. I do not necessarily think that familiarity breeds contempt, rather it makes the memories fonder if they somewhat stays just that, memories. Who would like to move back with their parents as grown up? Not that there is anything wrong with such a thing and it would probably feel safe and warm, but life has got so many other possibilities to explore.

Then again, I do not think that people got what I was on about in the first place and that is ok. I'm not even sure I know myself anymore, but I'm sure I was right :)

20. BurtThomasWard

It doesn't really suck that much, actually. I'll probably pull thru ;) I prefer the first four albums (and the Beatles and Abbey Road) to the psych years.

As for Motown (and Stax/Atlantic) I heard a lot of that stuff on the radio growning up, but we never had any of those records at home. So in a way it is part of my DNA as well, because it gives me that warm safe feeling. But I didn't start buying all that soul stuff until I was around 17-18 (and started smoking) so it means so many different things to me memory-wise than the Liverpudlian Monkees do. Coming of age-stuff.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  21. BurtThomasWard

The sun is overrated.

22. budwhite

[​IMG]

Speakin of.. long time no play. Easy going Friday music just got home from work and need a drink kind of thing. Amazing singers, fantastic muscians (who remained mostly nameless)

23. budwhite

Gnik nus

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  24. BurtThomasWard

Incredible box set. I don't remember if it was this one or Startime that was the first one I ever bought (other than the London Singles Collection Or What Ever It Is Called 1963-71 by the Stones). Superb music and all the tracks are just perfection, even the 'lesser' ones.

And what a band! The Funk Brothers really knew how to lay it down. James Jamerson, Babbit, Joe Hunter, Uriel Jones, Earl van Dyke, Robert White, Benny Benjamin, Messina and not least Jack Ashford (the tambourine is really important). Wonder how many hours I've spent in their company over the years.

25. BurtThomasWard

He came in thru the bathroom window.

budwhite likes this.