Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

That's a must-have set, IMO. And if you haven't seen the documentary about the Funk Brothers, Standing In the Shadows of Motown, it's definitely worth your time.

ducksdeluxe likes this.
  2. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

[​IMG]

Last year's remaster. Sounds better to these ears than the Japanese mini-lp sleeve'ed one I've had for the last 17 years. Waiting for the Black Sea CD/bluray combo which should be here some time next week.

Great album, btw.

3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Not a very original choice :D:
    [​IMG]
    (US cover, with small on it).

4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Jamerson is my favorite. That "band", the funk brothers, played on hours and hours of hits. I bet they was paid lousy by the infamous Berry Gordy

That a good docu!

Another must have box set but quite different is the Stax/Volt singles from that time frame.

Crispy Rob and ducksdeluxe like this.
  5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    One of David's greatest, in my opinion.

6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

It must be mentioned, though, that Peter Green plays on two tracks (A and B sides) which were included as bonus tracks on the reissue.

7. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

This is a logical fallacy. Besides, I live in Oregon. Toddlers point upwards and ask mommy and daddy what that yellow thing is. :nyah:
    I have decided that "It's No Game, Part 1" is my all time favorite Bowie track.

BurtThomasWard, wavethatflag and Rne like this.
  8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Bowie and Fripp's ferocious performances are exquisite.

footlooseman and ducksdeluxe like this.
  9. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Now, Velvet Underground on surround (from this set):
    [​IMG]
    (all this bloody VU revisiting led me to but the RCA/Arista Lou Reed box set. My plan of stop buying so many records is going down the drain)

10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

And now, some lo-fi live live takes of the VU at Max's Kansas City. A pity they didn't have a Stanley, a Cantor, or a Candelario near them.

11. budwhite

I stand corrected

12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Last night @wavethatflag and I caught Chris Robinson's Green Leaf Rustlers (CR, Barry Sless on pedal steel and occasional guitar, Greg L___ from Mother Hips on guitar, John Molo on drums, Pete Sears on bass) at Starline Social Club, a great newish venue in Oakland. Ryley Walker was added to the bill at the last minute.

Walker was amazing musically, really doing the Bert Jansch English-style fingerpicking thing well. Quite a character with some funny stage banter. I worry about him a bit in the long-term (my friend bumped into him later and complimented him on his set, and he asked if my buddy had any "drugs." Like, generic drugs, he'd take whatever anyone's got, even if its horse tranquilizer or Nyquil). He kind of looks and acts like a young Joe Cocker crossed with Syd Barrett. Anyway, I am completely sold on his talent and want to check out some of his records.

The Green Leaf Rustler's are a new project - last night was their first show, with an asterisk that Chris did one show that was pretty much the same band and concept, except Jason Crosby was on guitar rather than the Hips guy that I caught at Terrapin last year billed as CR's Hootenanny Heroes. All covers, generally country rock, or at least country rock in approach. Dylan's If You Gotta Go Now and Odds & Ends got airings last night, as did Waylon's Waymore Blues, NRPS' Last Lonely Eagle (the encore), Johnny B. Goode, Sir Douglas Quintet's She's a Dynamite Woman (a really fun surprise), etc. A few songs I didn't know. They are continuing on a run of NorCal shows for the next few days, not sure if they'll be traveling anywhere else but worth seeing if you can and you're anywhere near Mill Valley, Grass Valley, SF or Felton over the next few nights. Unfortunately, one show is all that I can make it, too, but if I didn't have kids and/or had fewer job responsibilities, I'd try to hit at least one or two more. Sears and Molo are a fantastic rhythm section and Sless was excellent on slide. I thought Crosby was a bit better on guitar than the Mother Hips guy, but he held his own well enough (although I didn't love his lead vocals on a couple songs).

[Edit: Ethan Miller of Heron Oblivion and Howlin' Rain was there in the audience, I got to say a quick "Hey, I like your work."]

13. budwhite

Nice report!
    I have tickets to CRB in March

14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Your post was expanded, not corrected :D

15. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

There is an inverse relationship between the amount of fun I had last night and my productivity today. Throw on top of that Friday in the Bay Area and it's almost as if work is actually being undone as I sit here.

John Molo rocks!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    budwhite, adamos, Erik B. and 2 others like this.
  16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Yes, I am a victim of that fun/productivity ratio today as well, but hey, that work's not going to undo itself. Molo really is good. Pete Sears' bass tone was also fantastic. I'd always thought of him as more of a keyboard player since I'd mostly seen him with Hot Tuna and knew he'd auditioned for the GD in 1990, but man, that rhythm section was tight.

17. ducksdeluxe

I need to RAWK! Haven't dug this one out in a while. It's pretty good. Title track is ossum.

[​IMG]

So are these, expanded editions of both. @budwhite I recommend you get them. The live stuff is pretty interesting especially on the S/T album. A live KSAN session before the band even had a name! Ronnie's guitar is much more understated, making the live versions very, very different than what eventually emerged from the studio.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Suddenly I'm in high school again.

[​IMG]

18. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Awesome review. Ticket in hand to see As the Crow Flies in May.

wavethatflag and Crispy Rob like this.
  19. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

wrong.

No Beatles. No Bowie. That's a fact, Jack.

20. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Just Finished "We`re Only in It for the Money" by The Mothers of Invention (Verve LP).

Chicago II
    next in quad (Columbia lp) ! :pineapple:

rockinlazys, dgwint, Bracton and 2 others like this.
  21. ducksdeluxe

You are missing the point. When you've heard every single Fabs tune literally thousands of times and you know them all by heart, IT IS TIME TO MOVE ON. I give them all the credit in the world for the influence they've had on music for the last 50 years, because they richly deserve it. But when you grow up during the 60s in a household with a mother and two older brothers who played that stuff constantly, I JUST DON'T NEED IT.

And I will double down tomorrow by taking my mono CD box down to my friend's music store and giving it to him, so that he can sell it and keep all the money. Same with the Anthology CDs I have. White Album & Abbey Road I will keep, but it might be a long time before I listen to them. And I erased all their music off my iTunes.

This has become annoying. Please stop it now.

BurtThomasWard and Dahabenzapple like this.
  22. spinyn

spinyn Senior Member

The various albums John Hiatt has recorded with Sonny Landreth and The Goners, after seeing the 30th Anniversary Slow Turning show in Lafayette. I forgot how much I like "The Tiki Bar Is Open."

budwhite likes this.
  23. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Heron Oblivion! There's a great band! Also Comets on Fire, which I think is a bit better than Howlin' Rain...

budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  24. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

as long as you are giving it away, I will take your mono CD box set off of your hands for the price of shipping :waiting:

rockinlazys likes this.
  25. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I'll buy it for 20 bucks plus shipping and gift it.

You really should keep it though. Just put it in storage so you don't have to look at it. Someday you might like it again.

ducksdeluxe, Erik B. and bzfgt like this.