Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Ok now I need to listen to the electric version too; nice addition to my listening to-do list.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    BurtThomasWard likes this.
  2. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Captain Beyond's second effort which I've always liked, even
    if the first one (rightfully so) gets all the bally hoo. They
    didn't release a repeat either, it's just too short.
    Armageddon, sorta like the Captain's crazy uncle has
    Bobby Caldwell really creating some grand thunder
    on drums.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Trapeze had Glenn Hughes and I've not listened to it in years,
    but this is 'back to my youth' day. And it sounds great, some of
    it reminding me a little of Man. Blue Cheer, side 2 of course,
    with Randy Holden putting some licks in that are beyond
    the holy grail of shred. 'My God' the sound guy mutters at the
    end of the record, and I wholeheartedly could not agree more.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Shhh!!!! :kilroy:

5. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

6. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Can: Ege Bamyasi

Cranked this up - wow

“Soup” is one of the greatest pieces of recorded sound ever

I’m still in the Proclamation business

I’m the opposite of an audiophile but I know sound and the sound of whatever beastly stereo is in my car is beyond any car stereo I’ve ever heard. And NOTHING sounds better than analogue era Can on those albums from Delay 1968 Through Future Days

adamos, budwhite, Crispy Rob and 4 others like this.
  7. bzfgt

One More Night is miraculous. It's the simplest dumb white funk thing but they weave some kind of magic spell.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  8. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'm honestly not sure what you're getting at here, so please do elaborate...

9. bzfgt

My impression is that you listen to that, if not quite often, a bit more than what I would consider "every so often." At least, you seem to mention it frequently. Nothing wrong with that, mind you, before you go flaming me like you always do....

ianuaditis and Archtop like this.
  10. bzfgt

Joking about the last bit, so don't flame me for saying you flame me...like you never do...

ianuaditis and Archtop like this.
  11. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

For an excellent "vibes" album, I recommend Bobby Hutcherson's Dialogue.

[​IMG]

Or Grachan Moncur III's Evolution (also featuring Hutcherson on vibes).

[​IMG]

12. Archtop

I think that I listen to it not much more frequently than I mention it. I mean, it's just glorious in how it blooms, much like a great GD improv, only it's less improvisational. But perhaps I'm wrong. I've probably listened to it three times in 2018, if that sets a mark. It's like saffron. Don't use it too often, but when you use it, make it shine.

At some point, the editors realized that it's Bob Cranshaw and not Bob Crenshaw.

notesofachord and bzfgt like this.
  13. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Thanks, I thought so. We had a turntable that had a 78 setting.

The person on the other forum was all 'I lived through it, I know all about it,' so my initial reaction was 'well, you're a moran because that's totally wrong.' But later in the thread she gave a thumbs up to Anthem of the Sun, so I decided to temper my response.

I found a thread on this forum that revealed the last 78s were produced 58-60, with only a handful after 58. Also they were mostly made of shellac and not vinyl. (I wonder if the inferior material (shellac,) which has more inherent surface noise, would have meant that lower RPM stuff was really bleh.)

Anyway I ended up replying to someone else who asked a more neutral question so no one's feelings were hurt. :angel:

My in laws have a bunch of 78s at their house, I should check them out and see if its anything cool.

Though our turntable also did not have any stylus change option as far as I knew, I wouldn't have had any 78s that would occasion such a change anyhow. My little brother managed to break the triskelion adapter we had to play 45s, so I couldn't hear my Captain Kangaroo birthday EP anymore. (Though I do still have it.)

In my exhaustive (heh) research on the topic last night I discovered that the larger groove size on 78s can indeed damage a stylus designed for smaller grooves. I'd imagine more recently produced 78s addressed this issue somehow. (And also will take correction from any serious experts as there are sure to be some around.)

I also listened to Buck Owens and his Buckaroos - Carnegie Hall Concert.

Archtop and budwhite like this.
  14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Pete Townshend, Another Scoop
    Zimmy, Blood on the Tracks
    Gene Clark, No Other

15. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Little Feat - Feats don't fail me now
    Little Feat - Time loves a hero

Would be nice if they open up the archives... if they have an archive that is?
    They must have a handfull of nights that was multitracked right? I'm sure they didn't use everything in '78 for Columbus

16. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

There's a bunch of live sets available, man. Ranging from good to 'so much better than Columbus its not even funneh'.

You haven't really heard the Feat till you've experienced Electrif Lycanthrope :eek::eek::eek:

NB! Most or all of these are semi-legit, but from radio broadcasts. Just let the music do the talking:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  17. BurtThomasWard

Og som en bonus kan du ta med denne her.

Listen to Bonnie go all gooey over Lowell here. And with good reason, cos this here be the best voishon eva when it finally gets going.:

18. budwhite

I have a few of those FM shows and SDBs.
    But they don't sound like a Dead two track recording so a release from the multitracks would be swell

footlooseman likes this.
  19. budwhite

Ja, Bonnie och Lowell tillsammans är underbara!

I'm sure they were fun to be around too. Bonnie was a drinker and Lowell...well he liked everything I guess, and in large quantities

rockinlazys and Crispy Rob like this.
  20. BurtThomasWard

Oh yeah, totally agree. I just didn't know if you was hip to the multitude of discs that are actually available.

And hanging out with Lowell would be a dream for the 25 (40, as well) year old Burtster. These days I just need my cup of tea, some biscuits and a nice blanket :D;)

bzfgt and budwhite like this.
  21. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Steven Bernstein was on last week XM's Tales show -- the whole show was on improvisation - (Well worth searching out the show). Anyway I was not familiar with Bernstein at all - the below is pretty great. Definitely will search out more.

(Via Spotify)

[​IMG]

dee and adamos like this.
  22. Archtop

This is what I postulated yesterday in my post. Not just surface noise, but overall low fidelity due to how they were cut (not that I know anything about that, but given the era, flint arrow points don't seem out of the question).

budwhite and ianuaditis like this.
  23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    One of my favorite title by Mingus. It features Roland Kirk, and that's enough for me.
    Mingus abandons his usual instrument and plays piano throughout the whole session.

rockinlazys, Erik B., Archtop and 7 others like this.
  24. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

My sister-in-law's grandfather is a jazz vibes player, he plays a regular gig every friday night at an Italian restaurant in Port Chester, as well as all over the area. My brother and his wife had their 10th anniversary dinner there last year and the band played, it was cool, nothing earth shattering or out in any way, but seeing an 80 something guy play jazz xylophone was cool in itself.

I told my sister in law she should have told me her grandfather was a jazz musician, it might not have taken me 20 years to think she was all right.
    Yes, that's why I put that in there. One thing I did read was that 78s are capable of more dynamic range than later formats, but that wasn't really my angle, so I just recall it as a mention and didn't explore it further.

Of course there is a thread on it here:
    78-era dynamic range; Toscanini, etc. Recording in the 78 RPM era information

25. budwhite

More Little Feat. Their first two records. And it's still very warm outside at 20.00 hours. That is unusual this early in spring. Enjoying every minute! Sippin' Corona and G&T

How is it in Norge Burt?