Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I have not. Just the Lobos

2. budwhite

I don't pick up the phone and I can't sleep
    I ain't got no appetite but I still overeat
    Want peace and quiet but I keep running my mouth
    My soul is like a hurricane but I'm still filled with self-doubts

I hate the way I look and my ego's always bruised
    I isolate myself, I get some more tattoos
    I'm always running late so I can't make any plans
    I'm preaching 'bout things that I don't understand

I've been living in the mind of a junkie
    Thinking my junkie thoughts
    Putting out my selfish aspirations
    Mmm, not letting God into my heart
    Not letting God into my heart

Anders Osborne - Mind of a junkie.
    From the record Black eye galaxy.
    A very nice listen. Great guitar work. Good vibe, good sound

3. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    I decided to listen to all the second quintet studio albums in order. I started this morning with the classic (all those albums are classics nowadays) E.S.P. Music is always hard to describe for me, and this is no exception. The most accurate comment I could write is that it sounds like Miles Davis' second quintet. It might look like a lazy description, but those familiar with this music will understand what I mean. "E.S.P.", "Agitation", "R.J." and "Mood" are true gems that I could revisit all day.

5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    These second quintet records are not easy to assimilate. I've been listening to them for many years and they're still challenging, even though they might sound accessible at first (it's curious, since the process is usually the other way round). Demanding music, but very rewarding.

6. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Robyn Hitchcock A Star for Bram

Kikagaku Moyo S/T; Mammatus Clouds; House in the Tall Grass; Forest of Lost Children

7. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Except for the closing track, "Nothing Like You", recorded in 1962 during Miles Davis partnership with Gil Evans (with Shorter on tenor sax), the rest comes from sessions that took place in May, 1967. The albums starts with a gem penned by Shorter: "Prince of Darkness", which features a nice melody that we could associate only to a very cool and hip representation of Beelzebub. "Pee Wee" is a nice unusual ballad written by Tony Williams where Miles does not play at all. "Masqualero", which became a regular live number, is another complex number by Shorter with the trademark abstract quintet sound. The title track is a fantastic dynamic piece written by Hancock. There's a Golden segment where Miles and Wayne interchange phrases over an explosive rhythm section that must be heard. "Limbo", another Shorter number, explores pensive and intense moods (and their in-betweens). "Vonetta", yet another composition by Wayne, is another ballad not without the ever-present dissonant edge.
    Another triumph by this brilliant ensemble.

8. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Until I got home... I swear I had no idea the picture was that big! :laughup:

ianuaditis and wavethatflag like this.
  10. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Hammers of Misfortune - The August Engine

Holy cow, I can't believe I'm just now getting around to hearing this.

11. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    The title track is a masterpiece. Miles and Wayne (the composer of the piece) replay a phrase 12 times (yes, I counted them) —eleven of them in a row— while the rhythm section variations get more and more intense with each repeat. There's a magic moment (10th performance of the main phrase) where Miles starts before Wayne, who quickly joins but keeps on playing slightly behind his leader, toying with that time difference and acting like an erratic echo. Simply marvelous. The rhythm section builds up to a frenzy while the horns grow more and more tired (or is it our fatigue after hearing the same melody over and over again?). No solos per se at all, the magic is in the variations of intensity and phrasing. Simply astounding.
    I'm not going to bore you with further comments, so I just say that the rest of the tracks of the album are awesome.
    This is the last entirely acoustic album in Miles Davis' discography.

12. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I too feel the need to apologize when the art I post is too big. But whatever.

ianuaditis, budwhite and lucan_g like this.
  13. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

alt tango in the night from RSD for me tonight.

Erik B. likes this.
  14. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

More of my vampire-like, copy cat listening. So, this. Hey, this thread may as well serve a purpose.

I have a lot of RT, but really got stuck on Dream Attic for a long time. I haven't listened to Mock Tudor in full in many, many years. I played it more than a few times when it came out.

bzfgt likes this.
  15. budwhite

Neil Young at the Roxy 1973. After just a couple songs, I know this is going to stay in rotation over the summer.

It's streaming as of today. Check it out

16. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

My vinyl should be here tomorrow

budwhite likes this.
  17. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

My favourite unofficial compilation of Beatle solo songs. Maybe even my favourite album right now.
    The sequence captures something quite unique and special.

"Noveliste Rose Cabaret"
    ( anagram of "Beatles Conservetoir")
    ...somehow seems a fitting title...

Mind Games ( Lennon )
    Junk ( McCartney )
    Jealous Guy ( Lennon )
    Run Of The Mill (Harrison)
    Give Me Love (Harrison)
    Imagine ( Lennon )
    Beware of Darkness (Harrison)
    How ? ( Lennon )
    The Day The World Gets 'Round (Harrison)
    #9 Dream ( Lennon )
    Old Dirt Road ( Lennon )

18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    A turning point in Miles Davis' career, the introduction of electric instruments in his music (electric piano and bass guitar on "Stuff", and electric guitar by guest musician George Benson on "Paraphernalia"). Tracks are longer and mostly based on grooves and vamps, the birth of the fusion atmosphere. This is the last studio album entirely recorded by the quintet, and one of my favorites in Miles' discography.

I actually listened to this edition, because I love the way it sounds (another great job by Vic Anesini):
    [​IMG]

19. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Just streamed the electric version of Marrow on YOB’s Clearing The Path To Ascend that @BurtThomasWard was recommending last week. Really nice long, atmospheric track.

20. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yeah I listened to that the day he posted it, really good.

budwhite and adamos like this.
  21. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

22. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

You know, I think I can feel it.

23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    When the Super Deluxe Edition was announced I remember thinking that this stereo downmix was surely going to be a complete waste of space. It isn't, I like it a lot. There is some stereo effects that I find sort of distracting (hi-hat notes going from right to left abruptly that end sounding like clicks, for instance). The transfer, though is really clear and gives the mix more room.

24. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Wilco, A.M., I always have really liked this one, even though getting more ambitious starting with Being There suited them well.
    Blur, Think Tank, not their best, but some interesting stuff here nonetheless. The lack of Graham Coxon and (I am guessing) Albarn probably being more interested in Gorillaz at the time seem to cast a bit of a pall over the proceedings, but still, Brothers and Sisters and Out of Time and a few others are great tracks, and it's all at least pretty good.

Also a couple listens each to my other Album Club members' picks, Tennis, Yours Conditionally, and Asian Dub Foundation, Community Music. The former is not really my bag, but is catchy and well written, and I'm enjoying the latter quite a bit.

25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I want to correct my post. I guess my memory is failing, because the hi-hat is just fine. It is a guitar chord the one that travels pretty roughly from left to right. It happens during "Electric Funeral". We hear the very initial attack of the notes and suddenly they disappear to materialize in the opposite channel. Not tidy at all.
    I'm getting extremely picky, ain't I?

Crimson Witch likes this.