Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Stereolab - Margerine Eclipse

rockinlazys and notesofachord like this.
  2. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

[​IMG]

Listening to a very excellent audience recording of the last night in Boston 31 May 1978. Darkness on the edge of town was released on 2 June.

3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

4. budwhite

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

August 9, 1978
    The Agora, Cleveland, OH

[​IMG]
    Set List:
    Intro by Kid Leo / Summertime Blues / Badlands / Spirit In The Night / Darkness On The Edge Of Town / Factory / Promised Land / Prove It All Night / Racing In The Street -> Thunder Road / Jungleland
    2nd set
    Paradise By The C / Fire / Sherry Darlin' / Not Fade Away -> Gloria -> She's The One / Growin' Up / Backstreets / Rosalita
    Encore: 4th Of July Asbury Park (Sandy) / Born To Run / Because The Night / Raise Your Hand / Twist And Shout

Notes: Broadcast on WMMS radio in Cleveland, OH. By early August, the Darkness tour was hitting full stride, with Bruce opening with either "Badlands" or rare covers, such as "Rave On," "Sweet Little Sixteen," or "Summertime Blues." The "Sad Eyes" portion of Backstreets is heartstopping, and the intros to "She's the One," whether it be "Mona" or "Not Fade Away" coupled with "Gloria" just rocked the house. August 9, 1978, featured all of the above and was one of the highlights of the 78 tour. The story during "Growin' Up" was the "I was a Teenage Werewolf," which became legendary.

Probably the FM show from 1978 that I have played most times. This was released 4-5 years ago as part of the archive series but I am listening to an off air recording that sounds much better than the official one. It's the same mix but the homemade recording isn't mastered to win any loudness wars, like the released version was.

Funny side note. The complete show excist in 24 track, but it is not owned by Springsteen's people and they didn't wanted to buy it either, so they just released the two track tapes.

Imagine if the Dead released 76-07-18 as just a two track and then mastered it to ear bleeding hell :sigh:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

You asked for it, @budwhite
    [​IMG]
    (Argentine cover)

6. budwhite

el Jefe :nyah:

Jim Walker and Rne like this.
  7. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

In fact, that's the way many people call him here.

Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  8. budwhite

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

September 19, 1978
    Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ

[​IMG]
    Soundcheck: Ties That Bind / Good Rocking Tonight / Point Blank / Kitty'S Back / Wedding Bells

Set List: Badlands / Streets Of Fire / Spirit In The Night / Darkness On The Edge Of Town / Independence Day / Promised Land / Prove It All Night / Racing In The Street -> Thunder Road / Meeting Across The River -> Jungleland
    2nd set:
    Kitty's Back / Fire / Candy'S Room / Because The Night / Point Blank / Not Fade Away -> She's The One / Backstreets / Rosalita
    Encore: 4th Of July Asbury Park (Sandy) / Born To Run / 10th Ave Freeze Out / Detroit Medley / Raise Your Hand

Notes: When you start collecting, definitely consider starting with this one. It was broadcast on WNEW in New York city, and it sounds incredible, probably as good as any official release. Rare versions of "Kitty's Back" and "Meeting Across the River" only add to the desireability of this show. Hearing "Sandy" and knowing hundreds of people along the Jersey Shore were listening to the broadcast as it happened is almost magical. During the broadcast, you couldn't walk anywhere on the Rutgers University campus and not hear this show. Available on the incredible CDs "Passaic Night" and "Piece de Resistence." Video footage is also circulating.

Interesting soundcheck as well. "The Ties That Bind" is radically different version than the released version and the one played later on the Darkness tour. A tape of the souncheck is also circulating.

Roxy is the coolest of the FM shows, being a small club and all that. But this show is the greatest and it also has the best sound of the FM boards. Kitty's Back to start the 2nd set is just incredible. Sandy is magical as the first encore etc

9. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Back in 1984 when I was just starting to get into Springsteen, mainly BitUSA, my dad gave me his tapes from the Passaic broadcast. That was a good day.
    I'd love a release of this, but unless I can hear the DJ (Carol Miller) doing station breaks, it won't be the same.

10. budwhite

The version I'm listening to has all the station breaks etc.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  11. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

The host of 'Get the Led Out' when I used to listen to NEW

Crispy Rob likes this.
  12. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Listening to disc 2.

13. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

WNEW was a big part of my life growing up.
    Carol Miller went to my high school. I'm pretty sure she spoke at my graduation (or maybe the year before).

Crispy Rob, warewolf95 and ianuaditis like this.
  14. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

1999 was a strange year for Prince. Scant live appearances, a comeback album that did not come back, the ending of his relationship with Mayte, an awful sense of fashion (for the time being...).

But you could always rely on his skills on the stage! Nothing beats a P aftershow.

Today's selection is a highly energetic and super funky set from 11/17/99 in Paris, FR

Sabotage Records #096-097
    "Purple House"

[​IMG]

Fantastic sound. It sounds like you are in the middle of the crowd.

Crimson Witch, Crispy Rob and adamos like this.
  15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

In the middle of a rare back-to-back show live music binge. Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks last night at Slim's, great show with a couple Pavement songs (No Tan Lines and Box Elder) in the encore slot. And for something completely different, Ry Cooder tonight at the Great American Music Hall. Really looking forward to it, having never seen Ry live before.

16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Today I added this to my collection. It features the glorious original muddy mix. Once again, the remix is splendid too.
    Listening to "Love Reign O'er Me" right now.

17. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I did an original mix and remix comparison recently on "The Real Me." I found the remix much kinder to Keith's work.

warewolf95, Crimson Witch and Erik B. like this.
  18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Oh, absolutely, it's a wonderful remix. This is one of those cases were both versions are must-haves for fans.

19. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Went to go see Joe Pug tonight. A very good singer-songwriter if you’re into that sort of thing.

20. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    After Bathing At Baxter's. The band decides the experiment on studio, and the results are outstanding.

21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Donovan In Concert. Recorded live on 9/23/67 at the Anaheim Convention Center.

Crimson Witch and notesofachord like this.
  22. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    More 1967. This time, a generally overlooked gem.

23. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

HP Lovecraft - Live May 11, 1968

Gloriously strange psych/garage rock with two lead singers. Here's the real question, though: who recorded this? The sound is remarkable, especially for May 1968 and an unknown band, and it was recorded at The Fillmore, which certainly is indicative of a certain suspect. However, the tapes were located around 1990 and the album was released in 1991 by a British label, which strikes me as odd if Owsley were the one who did it.

24. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Herb Robertson’s Downtown Allstars: Real Abearration

Disc 1

Recorded live 9/26/2006 in Portugal

Herb on trumpet
    Tim Berne on alto saxophone
    Sylvie Courvoisier on piano
    Mark Dresser on double bass
    Tom Rainey on drums

First time for this one in a while. I missed the proverbial boat as maybe I’ve become more patient with my listening which is what a recording like this demands. Among other points I could make, I repeat what I’ve known for many years. Herb Robertson is one of the greatest trumpeters who ever picked up that horn and he’s on full display here when he appears.

On Clean Feed Records

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    wavethatflag likes this.
  25. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Don't feel like cueing up vinyl right now so...

I'm rocking out to the 2008 Demon 2 CD 35 track compilation Mott The Hoople - Roll Away The Stone....

35 tracks of solid Columbia years MTH...

Mastered a little bright but if I bypass my equaliser I can turn it up to 7 rather comfortably...

Typical Demon CD sound...

MTH was/is the early 1970s greatest band IMO...

So when I don't play the vinyl & need a good long dose of MTH I play this great compilation

FN A One Of The Boys just flat rocks!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Crimson Witch likes this.