Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Try Jesus Fever and Pretty Pimpin’

notesofachord and bzfgt like this.
  2. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Here’s another place we differ, I enjoy eating eels, but not listening to Josh Mayer. But happily the commonality is bigger and the differences are not a big deal. I admit being overly harsh on John Mayer on that thread at some point. He’s still not my cup of tea, though, but maybe it’s because my body is definitely not a wonderland.

3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I swear I wrote that before I read the other recommendations. Anyway, you got your consensus picks there...

bzfgt likes this.
  4. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Thank you, I've bookmarked the KV and HW vids, and I'll check them all out.

5. bzfgt

OK, I accept all that and grant you safe passage. I wish I could convince people to just laugh every time I insulted them...I'd be doing a lot of insulting, because insulting people is great, but it sucks when they hate it and you as a result...

notesofachord likes this.
  6. bzfgt

Finally listening to DDHNM from 1968-10-12...

EDIT: I was wondering where this post disappeared to....it was on the wrong thread. Right now I'm listening to THE FALL, see below!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  7. bzfgt

This is the greatest #^@% thing ever:

Crispy Rob likes this.
  8. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Some Freedom Jazz Dance on a rainy Saturday morning

9. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

10. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Last night I listened to the great GYBR from Elton, the whole way through.
    I've missed my sweet 70's classic pop pristine. Unfortunately, that is as
    far as I got, w/ indulgences in makimo rolls, seafood fare, rice beer
    good company and red wine, catching up w/ me to an earlier night
    than wished. This morning some, mvyradio, cosmic americana and
    Texas rockabilly with over-served jav...

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I'm watching Monterey Pop on blu-ray. It also contains a blu-ray with Jimi's full performance, and Otis Redding's. I'm fairly sure I have the Hendrix part on DVD.

This stuff is ancient history at this point, but I like it.

12. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

One of the earliest Jimi purchases. Had this on cassette and VHS back in the day. I love the whole thing, including the intro Denny art piece over Can You See Me ?

No wonder I am still a Jimi freak

13. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Today Sept. 13 this is what my scene is....

I took a musical road trip to Crescent City a few weeks back & have not gotten out of town yet so today my selection is....

Antoine "Fats" Domino - They Call Me The Fat Man(1991) is a 100 track 4 CD box set of Fats best from his 1949-1963 yrs at Imperial Records...

The man recorded & completed over 260 songs while at Imperial Records...

Every note Fats ever recorded can be heard in his 1st record "The Fat Man" from 1949....

Of all the early Rocknrollers from the 1950s Fats Domino was probably the least suspecting....

Fats was the consummate performer who was at heart a song & dance man of unfathomable talent...

There was nothing dangerous , flambouyant,rebellious or threatening about Fats but he still managed to be a major force in early Rocknroll...

While at Imperial he sold 65 million records & chalked up 23 gold records , a unprecedented accomplishment for any one...

The thing that becomes more evident the more I listen to Fats is how the sound of Crescent City jazz greats of the early 1900s like Satchmo , King Oliver , Johnny Dodds etc etc influences run through his music....

Other New Orleans performers of the era periodically manage to aquire that sound but it is a constant with Fats...

Listening closely you can literally hear echoes of a full blown Creole Jazz Band in every piano roll or solo Fats does...pure genius &

Herbert Hardesty tenor sax 1949- Fats death just adds even more spice to the gumbo...

This music is closer to the historical jazz of New Orleans than any other Rocknroll music other than Fats contemporary Professor Longhair...

There are only a handful of performers who could fill up 4 CDs with 100 songs & not be a dud in the bunch...

But obviously for Fats Domino he is one of the handful...

This set is very well done with a great booklet & annotation but there are a handful of tracks with vocal distortion probably due to tape deterioration , that shouldn't put someone off about buying the box set....

90 tracks out of 100 sound very good...what better artist to spend money on ?

I'm outta here , later

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  14. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

First time listen on Three Snakes, amazingly just perfect; Baerwald
    always kicks ass and hits the heart perfectly...

My pick up and kick out the jams over the postpartum football depression blues. Gosh, that maybe could be a song, yeah, hit it guys...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Beatles- Revolver (2014 mono CD)

rockinlazys and Crispy Rob like this.
  16. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

17. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

You’ve never listened to Three Snakes before ? That’s like their 3rd or 4th best album !

18. budwhite

Played that set yesterday. 50min went by fast. Next video to pop up was this ->

19. budwhite

This is the best live set I've heard with Courtney Barnett. Sound is pretty good with lots of bass guitar in the mix, which is very nice!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    adamos and notesofachord like this.
  20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Just watched/listened to the From the Vault Stones '99 San Jose show. I saw the Oakland show a few months earlier on the same tour (notable for one of my favorite songs by anyone ever, Moonlight Mile, not played in San Jose), but the San Jose show is on the same level musically that I remember Oakland being. I have to hand it to the Stones, despite the expensive war horse thing, they are still one of the best rock and roll (roll needs to be included in their case) that ever walked or more accurately strutted the earth, and have kept up a remarkable level of quality. I saw them as recently as 2013 and they were still damn good, although it didn't hurt that Tom Waits came out and did Little Red Rooster with them.

21. budwhite

Keith was really good in '99 wasn't he!? I have only listened to San Jose once yet but that was my take away.

I have to hand it to the Stones, despite the expensive war horse thing, they are still one of the best rock and roll (roll needs to be included in their case) that ever walked or more accurately strutted the earth, and have kept up a remarkable level of quality

Yes indeed. They always sounds like the Stones, despite how succesfull they became. Slick and super rehearsed wasn't their thing.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  22. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Troubadours of the Folk Era, Volume One
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A great compilation. Vol.'s Two and Three are worthwhile as well.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    Jim Walker and adamos like this.
  23. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

24. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Yes, they always sound like the Stones, yet pretty much every version of every song sounds a bit different, not as much perhaps as the Dead for some songs, but at least as much as, say versions of Ramble on Rose or Truckin' differ from each other...

And indeed, Keith really makes it all come together, whereas on more recent tours, at least judging from the Sticky Fingers live in LA show from a couple years ago, Ronnie really was much more of the linchpin, guitar-wise. I guess that shift isn't surprising as time goes on...

footlooseman and budwhite like this.
  25. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Oh, man, that has been on my wish list forever, but I have yet to reel in a copy. Excited for you.