Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. HardTimesRoughLines

HardTimesRoughLines She learned me life is sweet and God is good

That is my alltime favorite book by anyone ever. Such a witty and humorous guy in addition to his image and the music. The ghostwriter captures the soul of Keef and his turn of a phrase in such a perfect way that you are hearing him talk when you read it. And don't you love how he carried around a doctor's bag in the old times with all his stuff. Thru any security check in the world :D

HTRL.

PS. I'll have to play some Stones now-

budwhite, Crispy Rob and footlooseman like this.
  2. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

3. footlooseman

One of the weakest things i never wanted to hear at a genesis show was phil singing satisfaction. While MAMA redeemed them temporarily among the cognoscenti, phil pretty much had pulled the plug with abacab and his solo record. The silver lining was they made a lot of silver

HardTimesRoughLines likes this.
  4. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

He can be a bit hit or miss live, so glad you got a hit, and you definitely made the right call between those bands. I've seen him many times, but haven't gone in a while as the prices have skyrocketed and I haven't been following his recent output nearly as much. The last time I saw him was about 10 years ago when he did the full Astral Weeks live at the Greek, which was amazing. I thought about going either last night or Wednesday but work has been too crazy and a mid-week show wasn't in the cards. My wife isn't a fan of his, which also decreased my motivation a bit.

5. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

My seat was originally 89 plus fees, and I was third row from the last in the balcony. I was so close to the ceiling I almost got vertigo looking at the stage. Anyway, I got it on StubHub yesterday for 57 inclusive. That's the non-evil side of the corporate-sanctioned scalping age.

6. wavethatflag

It was a good book. He can be catty though.

7. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Keef's Life is good. Certainly better than Ronnie.

8. HardTimesRoughLines

And how :D I like that as well.

Love that old gypsy soul.

Playing this one, BTW

[​IMG]

It is so beyond good it is not even funny.

HTRL

9. footlooseman

I will have to go home and listen to this again well worth splurging on the japanese set just to get it. Why it hasnt been released as a stand-alone is beyond me

10. HardTimesRoughLines

I have the Japanese one. But of course the original bootleg is another gig for the most part, so I still enjoy that more.

From Wiki:

Brussels Affair (Live 1973) is a live album by The Rolling Stones, released in 2011. It is compiled from two shows recorded in Brussels on 17 October 1973 in the Forest National Arena, during their European Tour. The album was released exclusively as a digital download through Google Play Music on 18 October 2011 in the US and through The Rolling Stones Archive website for the rest of the world in both lossy MP3 and lossless FLAC format. The 2011 digital edition has been bootlegged on physical CD. On 29 August 2012,[1] an official announcement was made, stating its physical release as a high-priced boxset (from $750 to $1,500 depending on the edition). All three releases include a triple LP and double CD. Brussels Affair (Live 1973) was officially released on 2 CD in Japan in 2015 as a bonus of the CD/DVD Set "Marquee Club (live 1971)" (Deluxe limited edition, Ward Records / Eagle Vision).

The title of the release is the same title as several famous and widely known bootleg recordings. The most famous iteration consists principally of the early show as broadcast by the King Biscuit Flower Hour (with "Star****er" omitted due to its lyrical content) and several bonus tracks ("Gimme Shelter", "Happy", "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)" and "Street Fighting Man") added from the 9 September 1973 London show. The official 2011 release is mainly culled from the late show; however, "Brown Sugar", "Midnight Rambler" and a transposed guitar solo on "All Down the Line" were taken from the early show.

Best regards,

HTRL

footlooseman and Crispy Rob like this.
  11. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Fantastic Chicago soul.

Numero 013: Eccentric Soul: Twinight's Lunar Rotation

[​IMG]

12. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Decoy + Joe McPhee: Spontaneous Combustion / Disc 2

Recorded live on 10/30/2011 @ Cafe Oto in London

McPhee on alto saxophone & pocket trumpet
    Alexander Hawkins on B3
    John Edwards on double bass
    Steve Noble on drums

Long form burning out there Improvisation via grand master genius types of this idiom. Unusual for this music to feature the Hammond B3 but the youngish Mr. Hawkins is blazing away throughout. The killer rhythm team defies description.

13. notesofachord

James Brown - The Singles Vol. 6: 1969 - 1970

[​IMG]

14. HardTimesRoughLines

The two first Rose Tattoo albums because some c**t just killed Angry Andersons youngest son. The best boogierawk ever. So macho and still so emotional...

[​IMG]

budwhite and rockinlazys like this.
  15. HardTimesRoughLines

And as good as the first one is (think Bon Scott era AC/DC with added everything) the econd one is at least five times as great:

[​IMG]

budwhite likes this.
  16. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

And I bid my fellow Deadheads greetings salutations & peace...

In 1970 when Motown released their Tamla label Marvin Gaye - Super Hits I said it was the jewel in Motowns crown (for album format) & 49 + yrs of listening enjoyment later....I still stand by that statement

From the Carl Owens front cover illustration of a buff-up Superman physique Marvin in a bright red super hero costume emblazoned with a big gold M across his chest & his gold cape flowing behind as he soars along & saves a collapsing W-HIT radio station communication tower...

All the while with a beautiful curvaceous & buxom Black queen who was obviously a damsel in distress before Super Marv rescued her (I always pictured her as being on top of that 200ft tower shaking it til it snapped because W-HIT wasn't playing enough Marvin Gaye & when it snaps MG swoops in to save the young beauty from the toppling steel structure....Anyway that's how I always viewed the front cover

Now the back cover is big B&W photo of a smiling happy MG before the mature bearded MG of the next years opus What's Going On ?...

Enough with the groovy art work now let's get to the music...

Super Hits is a 16 track collection of the absolute cream of MG 1960s output (w/out the chicks)....

Side 1 kicks off with the Pop voodoo of 1968s hit I Heard It Through The Grapevine & the hits begin to roll like a snowball picking up substance & momentum as it rolls on....

Pride And Joy , Ain't That Peculiar , Stubborn Kind Of Fellow , Can I Get A Witness ,How Sweet It Is (TBLBY) & 2 more MG essentials...

And that's only side 1 of this gem which in itself qualifies Super Hits as a must have LP...

Then side 2 comes out of the chute with Too Busy Thinking About My Baby & closes with Baby Don't Do It...

Sandwiched in between these 2 masterpieces of 1960s A.M. radio bliss there lies Hitch Hike ,I'll Be Doggone , You're A Wonderful One & 3 other pop gems...

Marvin & the Funk Brothers sound great on every track (as usual) & James Jamerson finest music is within many of these tracks...

MG lost some of his spark & exuberance at the close of the 60s or the beggining of the 70s (who didn't?)

I never bought into the social commentary of WGO but Mercy Mercy Me & Inner City Blues are essential MG as the single LGIO...

But as a whole both those LPs sound contrite & bloated much the way I felt about Beatles Sgt Pepper in 1967 & still do....

MG would never be as great as he was in 1960s again & sadly his fanatical strange father would end MG life only a decade later...

But Super Hits is a wonderful testament to Marvins 1960s genius...

I have a few copies on my shelf of SH and tonight it is the orig gold label mono Tamla vinyl in NM condition and it sounds great...

This is a record that should be in your collection in some format...

Without it your collection is sorely lacking. Period.

Excuse me while I turn the record over....

Thanks for reading

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  17. notesofachord

RIGHT ON.

18. footlooseman

19. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

BROTHER

I bought some bongos, so I will be playing this regularly in the near term.

[​IMG]

20. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Lotsa really good music going on in the last few days. I'll add
    on to the pile of superlatives with this handful of wonder.
    Gene Clarke w/ the Gosdin Brothers is one of those
    amazing records that defy description. It opens like a
    country Moody Blues number, then settles nicely into
    some wonderful cosmic americana. Lost My Driving Wheel
    is one of my favorite Byrds tunes; it was written for the
    voice of McGuinn... a classic. Both treatments from
    Farther Along, and later, McGuinn's first solo, work
    very well on both records; fun to hear Clarence White
    adding his chops on the Byrds version too. As a matter of merit,
    I believe Farther Along has been vastly underrated through
    the years. The Byrds 1973 blue-spec sounds incredible, and
    was a wonderful closer for the band.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Drive-By Truckers
    2003.12.29 - Live At Cooley's House - AUD
    One of the very best bands out there... This is a unique recording, just the band with some close friends going through songs. Really informal and fun to listen to.

22. wavethatflag

All I have of this bunch in the Gene Clark album.

23. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Oh hell yeah.

rockinlazys and notesofachord like this.
  24. HardTimesRoughLines

You know that feeling when you suddenly wake up on the couch and it is 8 hours later? Good thing the kids are coming over six hours, this drinking crap is a young man's game.

HTRL

[​IMG]

25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz