Under $2k bookshelf speakers for classic rock lover

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RalphNYC, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Bookshelf speaker for classic rock? That is so wrong. ;)

2. CARPEYOLO

CARPEYOLO Forum Resident

I bought a pair of Philharmonitors for under a grand and couldn't be happier. They put everything I auditioned at Magnolia to shame.

3. Maxwell86

Maxwell86 Active Member

Good one

4. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Those would have been my recommendation as well, but I mentioned the ones below them as the 160s would have been a bit over budget. Great to get a set slightly used. They are great sounding little speakers!

5. bdfin

bdfin Forum Resident

Second vote on the Ascend Acoustic Sierras. I have 5 of the original Sierra 1 and now they have Sierra 2 line with ribbon tweeters and multiple finish colors. Cabinets are real bamboo, very dense and well constructed. Sierra 1, or 2 both within the proposed budget line.
    http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRM2/srm2.html

mike catucci likes this.
  6. RalphNYC

RalphNYC Well-Known Member Thread Starter

How do you like the Pioneers? Did you ever get a chance to hear the Tannoys?

7. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Never heard the Tannoys in the end, they were always a special order item and I don't like to waste a dealer's time.

The Pioneers are very nice. None of the brightness in the treble a lot of modern designs have. I'd you wanted a smoother response, I'd at least shortlist them. Lovely build and a matte black finish.

8. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

You might try asking about them in this thread about another ProAc model (several Tablette users there):

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/bought-some-proac-studio-140-mk2-speakers.406136/

Also, these from Coincident list at $1,000 above your ceiling, but may be worth reading about and possibly seeking out a demo or used pair. Their speakers work very well with lower powered tube amps in particular:

http://www.coincidentspeaker.com/triumph-extreme-II.html

9. BigGame

BigGame Forum Resident

My advice as SonusFaber lover run away from small Venera. It is "not" SonusFaber they just look that way. Venere 3.0 is complete different loudspeaker it is on good way to enter in my heart.

10. Brother_Rael

Meant to say earlier but was at work, they also put out a big sound too. Good sense of scale with nice depth and being dual concentric they throw out a wide stereo image as well.

11. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Never too sure if the Wharfedale Jade 3's are too big for a bookshelf. But, strongly recommend them their sealed design makes placement painless.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  12. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

kef r-300s are probably good as far as clarity and volume for their size. the tradeoff is usually refinement or dynamics but those are likely a good comprimise

13. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Best bookshelf speakers I've ever heard were PMC twenty. 21. Amazingly clear and with meaningful (if naturally limited) bass. Not sure price over there, but should be thereabouts, and worth an audition if possible. Have ProAc floorstanders, which I love, but haven't heard the Tablettes - would also look at those.

14. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Maybe consider some older Totem Mani 2s or probably easier to find for the budget Proac Response 2s. Both not toppy, nice mids with some good kick for a bookshelf. Efficiency might be a worry though.

15. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I also suggest sonus faber. Even the Toys I got will be up o any task AND sound especially great with Tubes. If you add 2 subwoofers and get good stands 2 grand will do just fine. The sound is to die for. Silky smooth mids, really sweet highs and astonsihing soundstage will surprise you even after 5 years of use. I listened to Patttis Smith - Twelve this morning and now to Bob Dylan's new album - 'Autumn Leaves' playing at te moment and Bob sounds sso close and alive in front of me- Simply perfect ANd I don't even got 1 of the two subwoofers switched on. For Led Zeppelin II or AC/DC I add the subs and then these luxuriousely charming TOYs become real beasts.
    No matter if I play electronics with those drum computers with their strange highs, classical music from solo piano to the Berliner or Wiener Philharmonics there is never a fault - Of course the higher you go up the SF line the better they sound BUT I can live with these tiny Toys just fine.. and do it since half a decade or so..You can get them for cheap todday since they are about to be discontinued. But they are still built in Italy not in china and got the luxury looks, SF is known for.

16. Diver110

Diver110 Forum Resident

Well, you are sort of in trouble with your set up. Speakers need space and stable support. In your set up, I think your support is shaky and you will be too far from the speakers. Also, 2 ways will be bass light, and some of your music, like Pink Floyd, has plenty of bass. I agree with Jim that you need to think about adding a subwoofer. I have Gallo monitors with a Gallo subwoofer, both with Mapleshade upgrades. The monitors have very short stands and are angled up. That set up makes them less placement sensitive, so it might match your space limitations better than other set ups (though the monitors must be on the floor). I am about to upgrade my speakers to the Leagacy Aeris, so my set would be available for not too much more than your budget plus shipping. PM me if you have an interest. In all events, I think you will be happier with a set up that gives you more bass, even if it means losing some quality overall. Note though that for good imaging all of the sound needs to hit your ear together. A subwoofer stuck in a corner won't do that unless you can adjust its timing.

17. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

Revel M105/M106

18. RalphNYC

RalphNYC Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I saw a nice pair of used Harbeth P3ESR's for sale so I bought those and we'll see how it goes from here.

19. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I have had great luck with rebuilding old speaker cabs(those that are still in good shape) with upgraded drivers. A heck of a lot cheaper that spending 2K. You may have to do a little homework, but that's half the fun of it.

20. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Rega RS1. Sound great with everything. No need for a subwoofer, unless the room soaks up all the bass.

bhazen likes this.
  21. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Yeah, what Jim said!
    …except the amp probably doesn't allow the optimum connection, i.e. no way to high pass the main amp's signal.

22. PSB has been mentioned and the ones I have heard were very good. I presently have a pristine pair of M&K S1-B's with the sub and they are very good indeed---especially for the price they are bringing on the used market. They can be had for way less than $2K and IMO will compete favorably with many of the more expensive offerings.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  23. Brother_Rael

Very good shout. Will last an upgrade or three as well.

24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Polk LSiM703.

I have these speakers and I am very pleased with the sound. They are transparent and have plenty of bass.

25. Mike Novak

Mike Novak Forum Resident

Rock music from the sixties and seventies pair well with the speakers of this period. But it's not in the small speakers category....
    [​IMG]

Sailfree likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.