Under The Dome (tv series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by agentalbert, Jun 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ratings are down 19% according to some sources:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...-and-the-beast-steady-mistresses-down/280119/

I have seen TV executives get nervous when ratings only go down by 5%. 19% is really bad, particularly if it continues to slide.

This was an ongoing element of the novel, where they were talking to the outside world from the first week. You could hold up signs and I think they could also communicate via radio if the transmitters were very close to the person in the dome. In other words, if the person with the transmitter was on one side of the dome and the person with the receiver was on the other side, then it would work, since it was only about 20' away. It wouldn't work 1000' away. There's also a much bigger military presence in the book, and I'm curious as to why they're eliminating that in the show.

2. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

3. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

Haven't we established by now that the show has nothing to do with the book other than the title and maybe some character names?

We've tried watching season 2, but gave up a third of the way through the second episode. Not that it's terrible (it is), it's just boring. Too many new characters that just "show up", while needlessly killing off two of the main characters from the first season, makes it difficult to follow and remain interested.

4. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Thank goodness there's a "science gal" who knows all about the life cycle and diet of Monarch butterflies!

Oh, wait! What's that? Monarchs only lay their eggs on milkweed plants? Oh, wait! What's that? Monarch caterpillars feed ONLY on milkweed plants?

Whoops! Guess we burned all that wheat for nothing! Thanks, "science gal."

And thanks, Under the Dumb fact-checkers.

Deesky, PhantomStranger and Shawn like this.
  5. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

6. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Tonight's episode is titled "Force Majeure" but I keep mis-reading it as Horse Manure.

Acid rain threatens the residents of Chester's Mill, further endangering their lives. Meanwhile, Rebecca and Lyle argue over the reason for the Dome's existence.

Not a good sign.

[​IMG]

rockclassics likes this.
  7. amoergosum

Just when you think there's no way it can't get any worse Under The Dumb strikes again with S02E03!

It includes another incredibly blatant product placement...hey...with a Microsoft tablet you're going to be able to check Email & Twitter...even in the freaking dome!

:)

Remember the product placement in season 1? >>>

I can't wait to read Tim Surette's review.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  8. amoergosum

9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

it's still not as bad as "revolution". at least no one walks across the country in a couple of days!

but it truly is hard to believe that either one of them got a second season.

10. DreadPikathulhu

11. According to the show's title sequence, we're only two weeks in to the dome existing. Considering all the killings (half the town must be dead by now), the propane stockpile scandal, the fight club, the building of the town gallows, the town's water supply compromised, etc. it's been an eventful 14 days.

And my favorite part of the newest episode - scientist lady has a plan to build windmills. Yes, windmills under a dome where there shouldn't be any wind.

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  12. That is Under The Dome's spiritual brother, Revolution. Mindless action in a vaguely sci-fi premise.

13. amoergosum

:) >>>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kwadguy likes this.
  14. amoergosum

15. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I’m not trying to justify this crazy-ass show in any way (I guess I am indeed “hate watching” at this stage), but I’m trying to jog my own memory about last season. Didn’t they make a big deal of the outside world at some point abandoning the dome? I would imagine that’s why they long ago stopped trying to display notes to each other on opposite sides of the dome. They had the episode last season where everybody gathered and awkwardly did that.

I like the fact that the tablet kid finally is able to log onto his e-mail, and he sees an e-mail from his parents, and all his parents could muster is a two-line e-mail that could have been written by a Hallmark greeting card staffer. I mean, wouldn’t you have a few paragraphs at least for your son? Even if the government is vetting e-mails and keeping anyone from telling the domers anything about what’s going on outside, you’d think they could muster at least a full paragraph. And let’s not even get into how out of the kids in that room that are able to log onto the internet for the first time, they mostly seem “meh” about it. Instead of, you know, looking something up about something. Okay, it’s CBS. So go to “cbsnews.com” or something. Maybe frantically read some apparent key e-mails (perhaps skip past the hundreds of e-mails that all look the same with subject lines like “Hey Dude, r u ok in there?”

Oh, and Dwight Yoakam, yes, we aleady knew you have a singing career, you don’t need to prove it.

My favorite part of the show is still the un-needed up-to-the-moment exposition. The dome starts doing something weird, and sure enough a couple seconds later one of those kids is literally saying, “Hey, the dome is doing something.”

“Hey, I have e-mail!”

“Oh no, the wifi is down.”

16. amoergosum

Another example >>>

Barbie: "I'm gonna head down to the diner."

Julia (knowing why Barbie is heading down to the diner): "Jim's mandatory citizen registration?..."

Tony Caldwell likes this.
  17. DreadPikathulhu

I vaguely remember some sort of "goodbye" scene at the edge of the dome. Apparently the entire world has a short attention span, because the dome has only been there for about two weeks.

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

My guess is that the media were covering the dome got called away to cover a Kardashian party. They'll probably be back when things return to normal.

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

still a week behind...but....how about junior's relationship with his dad? you could write a book just about that.

how is it windy?

how is there fresh air?

where is the sewage, and all of it's odors, going?

garbage?

gasoline emissions?

how about life essentials, toilet paper, non perishable food stocks that come in containers and that they can't grow, etc. etc. etc.

it's just so f**king stupid, which probably makes me just as f**king stupid, because i can't stop watching. we were laughing out loud last night...whoever said "under the dumb"...just excellent.

Shawn likes this.
  20. DreadPikathulhu

Before the Army tried to blow up the dome last season, there was a big farewell scene. Apparently the outside of the dome is now radioactive so outsiders are kept away.

[​IMG]

21. A yes, the huge bomb that went off that apparently didn't do any damage to trees or structures just outside of the dome.

22. DreadPikathulhu

They did show some damage but we don't see that anymore because that was on the dark side of the dome.

Shawn likes this.
  23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

There is no dark side of the dome, really. As a matter of fact, it's all dark.

LEONPROFF, rockclassics and jriems like this.
  24. amoergosum

High school science teacher (S02E01, talking to Barbie with a scared voice): "You're him, aren't you? You're that murderer."

High school science teacher (S02E03): "It may become necessary, selectively I'm saying, to thin the herd."

[​IMG]

25. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

I think the high all school teacher is the worst character of all. I suppose she is intended to replaced crushed cop lady?

Yoakum is really funny as the "we killed the evil preacher last season so we need an insane Barber with terrible hair to make fun of the Christians."

If they made a gay person look as stupid as him, the entire news media would be in an uproar condemning the HATE BEING SPEWED at the gay community.

I'm trying to keep watching since this is only one of two (Elementary) TV shows that I can stand.

Where is football season when you need it?

Scott222C likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.