Under the Skin (2014 film starring Scarlett Johansson and directed by Jonathan Glazer)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bryan, Apr 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I certainly understand the reaction. Not very boring, but real slooooowwwwww to me. Not what I expected, but thank goodness there were no explosions, car races, bullet exchanges, CGI, etc.

I think it had more potential than was actually realized. Got more interesting . . . . toward the end.

2. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

I think the ending killed it for me... Will revisit on video...

3. lowellmorris

lowellmorris Forum Resident

Saw it last night, one of the most incredible movies I've seen in a long time. Definitely not for everyone, though..

zobalob, amoergosum and bopdd like this.
  4. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Walked out halfway through, when I realized I simply didn't care about what was happening on the screen, and whatever questions I did have were not likely to be answered. Says more about my state of mind at the end of a harried week than about the film.

But I will rent it from iTunes when it hits circulation to see the second half at my own pace.

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Just watched this tonight and thought it was fantastic, so I watched it through again. Great performance from Scarlett. I rented it, but I'll be buying this one for sure. I really loved the use of sound and music as well.

Did you like "Beyond The Black Rainbow"?

6. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr. Thread Starter

I agree, great soundtrack. I bought the vinyl and thankfully it's a good pressing, since there are lots of quiet passages.

I'll probably pick up the blu-ray soon.

7. elvotix

elvotix Forum Resident

watched this last week on DVD; one of the best new films I've seen in years. enjoyed the soundtrack so much that I ordered the CD.

bopdd likes this.
  8. Bryan

I'm not even really a soundtrack guy. I think I own maybe 3 or 4 in my collection of 200+ LPs. But every once in a while a soundtrack like this comes along that is completely unique and also just so perfectly nails the atmosphere of the movie that I must own it. This was one of those.

johnnyyen likes this.
  9. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

Agree. Something about the soundtrack that I really liked. Didn't care much for the movie though.

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

tip:

fast - forward to the parts where scarlett gets naked, pause for as long need be, fast - forward to the last 2 minutes.

if you do not do this, don't say i didn't warn you.

Benno123, Mark Nelson and Jack like this.
  11. Bryan

No.

Plan9, zobalob and BadJack like this.
  12. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Thank you for writing this. It might actually embarrass those who didn't like the movie into giving it a second chance. Anything to distance themselves from such your silly, borderline perverted review.

Solaris and Parvati like this.
  13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

OK, sorry about my silly, borderline, perverted review......how about this.....

boring dialog, when there was dialog.

terribly hard to follow storyline, many more questions than answers.

extreme, in some cases, english accents, almost impossible to understand.

no answers to anything (why, where, how etc.)

very dull picture, and i had the blu-ray.

and if you do not agree with my review, that is, of course, your prerogative, but it does not make me wrong.

James RD, Mark Nelson and Jack like this.
  14. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

The bit I wasn't sure about was what happened when the men went into the quicksand, but a quick look on google explains it, and it is also explained on one of the extras on the bluray. I rather liked the elliptical structure of the film. I also liked the fact the meaning was left up to the viewer. Maybe you prefer a film which makes clear its intentions, but i prefer this type of ambiguity. I've watched it three times now and I think it is a masterpiece; the most interesting film I've seen in a long time, but I am a sucker for this type of stuff. I do agree with you, however, it's an acquired taste and not for everybody.

agentalbert likes this.
  15. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Only about the accents--they were Scottish. :winkgrin:

John K.

AndrewS and zobalob like this.
  16. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

I tend to like usual films but I didn't care for this one. It was slow, but I don't normally mind that. It was a little abstract, which I often like. I just couldn't get into this one.

Mark Nelson and Jack like this.
  17. BZync

BZync Senior Member

SPOILER ALERT!!!! I will be discussing plot points. SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Saw it last night. Yes, it didn't explain everything, yes it unfolded at a very deliberate pace. If that is not your kind of film, this will not change your mind.

I thought it was compelling. All I knew going in was what I read on the Netflix blurb - that she was an alien. Now this is a critical piece of information & I suppose it may have been a while until I sussed that out on my own. But, having known just that bit, I thought Scarlett's performance was incredible & very brave. Much was said by not saying much. She was discovering herself (and her "humanity") as we, the viewer, were discovering her. Interesting how there appeared to be a burn out factor to her "powers". At first she was followed mindlessly. But each time she chose a victim she had to give a bit more of herself. Finally, she lost the ability to close the deal. She was clearly becoming either more human or was confused about her status as a non human. The later half of the film had her exploring & discovering her humanity & lack of - which also explained the first scene of her swapping clothing with her previous self.

blind_melon1 likes this.
  18. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Whether you like a movie or not is totally subjective, there is no right or wrong, only opinion.

19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Subtitles help for British movies, so I prefer to be able to watch them at home rather than the theater. Though the dialog isn't that important. You get all the information you're going to get by watching, and though there isn't any exposition, there is enough there for a viewer to figure out what's going on if they allow themselves to take everything in and aren't frustrated by not having it explicitly stated.

20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

:righton:

21. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

just received the BR from Netflix so will watch tonight.

22. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Just watched the BR last night an interesting but slow paced movie.:righton:

23. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

How about talking FROM a car?

24. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I feel the same way about soundtracks myself, and therefore I have one to recommend – it's similarly atmospheric and it's sort of out of the blue because the band playing on it really has done nothing else of consequence. Get the Shudder To Think soundtrack for High Art. It's an older art house release. It will knock your socks off.

25. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Source:
    http://www.studiodaily.com/2014/04/...-johansson-hits-the-streets-with-the-one-cam/

marblesmike likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.