Underrated/Overlooked Guitar Solos or Guitar Songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by eatthecheese, Mar 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vmajewsk

vmajewsk Forum Resident

'Queen of the Deep' on Ufo's first Lp. Michael Schenker burns like no other. Bill Nelson, Adventures in a Yorkshire landscape,awesome lead.

2. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Mick Grabham (I presume) at the end (around 04:48 below) of Procol Harum's "The Idol". Fairly standard and uncomplicated bluesy soloing but blows me away every time with its power.

Jim N. and dbz like this.
  3. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Wishbone Ash - The King Will Come and Warrior

Book of Saturday likes this.
  4. steelvelvet20

steelvelvet20 Forum Resident

KEE MARCELLO from hard rock band EUROPE is an amazingly talented guitarist. Especially his input on the albums Out of this world and Prisoners in paradise.

peymei4ever likes this.
  5. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Hmmm...underrated or overlooked Jimi Hendrix....

I would go with the gorgeous 'Pali Gap'...most of the general public probably doesn't know it very well...but I'm sure a sizable chunk of the folks on this forum do.

6. samsondale

samsondale Forum Resident

I’ve always loved the unbelievably great and out-of-leftfield Amos Garrett solo in Midnight at the Oasis.

7. BZync

BZync Senior Member

My favorite guitar solos are the ones I have an emotional response to. Why I respond that way to some solos but not others....? A perfect example is the clearly NOT underrated solo in Comfortably Numb. But a less famous David Gilmour solo that I find just as moving is his work on McCartney's No More Lonely Nights. It strikes me as an extension of his work on Comfortably Numb in terms of emotional content.

Another solo that really gets the goosebumps going is Warren Cuccurullo's solo in Duran Duran's recording of Ordinary World. The acoustic solo itself is fine but nothing earth shaking. But when he repeats the same solo, note for note, on electric guitar, it can almost bring me to tears.

8. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

This track was not included on the Free Live album from 1971 and ended up being issued on a 12" single in the 1980's.
    It is by far my favourite Kossoff solo and cannot believe that it was not chosen for the live LP...

Solo starts at around 1.4o, and then it builds, and builds, and builds...

TGH7 likes this.
  9. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I Need You {Synyrd} Ed fin King,

highway and drobo like this.
  10. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Another personal favorite is Uli Roth's solo at the end of the Scorpions’ “Your Light”.

11. Book of Saturday

Book of Saturday Forum Resident

The epic solo that Michael Schenker plays to close out Lost Horizon (and thus the album itself) on The Michael Schenker Group comes to mind. It's among the best work of his career, in my opinion.

vmajewsk, Greenalishi and Synthfreek like this.
  12. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

parental guidance warning. naughty word alert

13. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

14. bibi50

bibi50 Forum Resident

Fairport Convention - great solo starts at 3.50

Greenalishi likes this.
  15. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I like Fairport's Sailor Song. Great long building thing. Great guitar work.

bibi50 likes this.
  16. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

Lindsey Buckingham's guitar solo at the end of Isn't It Midnight.

Beamish13 likes this.
  17. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

18. Mr. Pleasant

Mr. Pleasant Forum Resident

19. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

I seem to remember a smokin' guitar solo on Night Ranger's "Don't Tell Me You Love Me".

Curious Breeze likes this.
  20. Martgrol

Martgrol Forum Resident

The whole song is basically a shredding solo that lasts 6 of the 9 minutes of whole play: I like Michael Angelo Batios solo in the middle of "8 Pillars of Steel" (album: Intermezzo).

And a short and slow solo from one of the best guitar soloists ever in my opinion (like Michael Schenker on a genius level when it comes to melody soloing): White Lion's Vito Bratta on "'Til Death Do Us Part"

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  21. Geir

Geir Forum Resident

Beautiful long bends and pleasing tone on both duelling guitars. Pitty about the ending though

22. BarryChicago

BarryChicago A Flower

Anything that Terry Kath from Chicago ever did... RIP

23. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

I was listening to the Boss' "Tunnel of Love" this morning and the guitar solo in that just impressed the heck out of me. I assume that was Steven Van Zandt? (edit): lead guitar, per Wikipedia is Nils Lofgren

24. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Kenny Burrell: Hill’s Edge, Kenny Durham at Cafe Bohemia Round About Midnight

25. Little Brown Bag by Gentle Giant. It's for that cool riff (played by Gary Green), and I also like the melody very much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.