Unfunny Comedies?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by driverdrummer, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, I looked at his review - Ebert gave it 3.5 stars! :eek:

Well, Ebert can be wrong! :D

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I don't think you have any way of knowing how unfunny a comedy can get until you've seen some Finnish ones. The dourest of tragedies is guaranteed to elicit more laughs than an average Finnish comedy. Most of those you mention are probably veritable barrels of laughs compared to ours.

3. danner

danner Forum Resident

Yeah, that's at least half a star more generous that I would be. This is the same man that gave Raising Arizona one star.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, 3.5 stars is a good 3 stars more than the movie deserves! :D

Is "Kingpin" the worst Farrelly movie? No - but without Bill Murray, it might be!

5. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Whaaaaa..Kingpin is hilarious!

ianuaditis and Vinyl Addict like this.
  6. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

One aspect of the original made it work for me is the "Man Out Of His Own Time." Something that I found offputting about the sequels is that Austin is still adjusting to modern times despite having been around for a while by the time of the next two movies.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  7. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Big Bang Theory

I have tried to watch this show, but I never laugh. As "witty" as the dialogue tries to be, no one - least of all the kids I know at CalTech- talks like that.

8. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

My Mother the Car. That show never should have gotten past its pilot episode. But it did.

9. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident

An unfunny comedy? You mean a tragedy?

10. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident

Reading the synopsis, I'm dumbfounded as well. o_O

11. Solitaire1

In Shakespeare terms, comedy/tragedy doesn't mean what they mean to us. In a Shakespearean comedy, the main character wins. In a Shakespearean tragedy, the main character loses (see King Lear).

12. Solitaire1

I saw part of the first episode of My Mother The Car on YouTube and caught a few episodes in reruns and I didn't think the show was a disaster. It had some humor, but how it would turn out would depend on the creative team. Considering its contemporary shows that featured an "unusual" character (including witches, genies, robots, and martians), a car containing the ghost might not seem as strange as it seems.

13. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I didn't read all of these posts. Did anybody mention Due Date?
    I wanted Robert Downey Jr. to throw Zach Galifianakis into the Grand Canyon by that point in the movie.

Miriam likes this.
  14. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I saw "Harper Valley PTA" with Barbara Eden at the drive-in when I was a kid and man did it suck. I might appreciate the camp value of it now

15. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

The Animal with Rob Schneider. Only watched it to see Colleen Haskell because I had a huge crush on her. Shouldn't have bothered. It's the worst!

ianuaditis likes this.
  16. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I don't think Dazed and Confused is actually a comedy. It is more like a "slice of life" film.

17. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I was forced by my family to watch The Ridiculous 6 last Thanksgiving. What a horrible movie. I don't think I laughed once.

18. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member

Worst TV show - Big Bang Theory or Friends
    Worst Movie - Almost any Adam Sandler Movie

goodiesguy and ssmith3046 like this.
  19. Deal of the Century

Too Bad..I love Friedkin and Chevy.

20. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Movie 43

Check out the cast of stars in this movie. How did any of them get talked into this?

21. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I'm not sure who writes comedy, at one time it was one or two people with one thought, you could see them enjoying each other bouncing each others thoughts'
    Now I see a group of writers with no depth or feeling as though doing a new advert, yes that will fit nicely in there, lets present that to the executives, if they like it we can try for another rise.
    After all I did a course on this so what do they know.

goodiesguy likes this.
  22. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Yup. I never liked two and half men either.

O Don Piano and Johnny Rocker like this.
  23. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

That 70's show, at first it was kind of interesting, ep 1-2, then it became stupid and silly, I digged the blonde chic and that's about it. Malcom in the middle, not to my liking, who is the boss, Family ties, I can't seem to find interest in these shows.

24. Johnny Rocker

Big bang theory is a specific audience series, if you aren't in their click, they it wont make any sense.:cool:

25. Johnny Rocker

Saturday night live, after 1980, I digged the original cast, but the new folks are not funny at all, too much politics, and college humor. I went to college back in the day, and I found nothing funny then. All late night shows, not funny, never was. Johnny Carson came close. But these guys are over compensated for non-entertainment. Sorry Charlie.:righton:

jonathan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.