Unfunny Comedies?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by driverdrummer, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I fail to find anything from Melissa McCarthy and Amy Schumer to be funny, at all!

2. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I used to count the Blues Brothers among my favorite comedies, but the past few times I tried to watch it, I realize that it's not as good as I once thought. It has some very funny stuff in it, but now it seems sort of disconnected and directionless, if that makes any sense. Perhaps I have just seen it too many times.

Bhob likes this.
  3. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Miami Blues

4. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I don't think anyone finds Amy Schumer genuinely funny.

5. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I do. Train wreck was hysterical, and her stand-up has them rolling in the aisles.

somnar likes this.
  6. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I actually worked as a grip apprentice for a few days on this film. One of my tasks (I kid you not) was to clean up the elephant "semen" which was all over the c-stands. :o It wasn't real, thankfully...I hope...

trd likes this.
  7. Complier

Complier Senior Member

"Fist Fight" starring Charlie Day and Ice Cube. Top 10 worst movies I have ever seen.

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

So why does she play arenas when she tours? Thousands of people at her shows to not be amused?

9. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

This thread has turned into exactly what you said it would. People bashing on what they don't like rather than than what might actually be horrible.

10. Oatsdad

That's because I'm smart - not like everybody says, like dumb. I'm smart and I want respect! :D

11. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Take your pick of movies.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I'll stick my neck out here and say that Eddie Murphy is a naturally funny comedian/comic actor but he tends to pitch himself very low and that's why I dislike so many of his films.

13. Oatsdad

Chevy Chase and Adam Sandler have made their share of funny films - they definitely don't belong in the same post as one-trick pony Shore!

Lownote30 likes this.
  14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Modern Family...

geralmar and goodiesguy like this.
  15. Michael

I have that on BD...now I must watch it. Thanks...

16. redsmith7887

redsmith7887 Forum Resident

I have trouble with most comedy movies - it's a genre that works much better in the sitcom/series format where characters can be fleshed out over time. For me 90-100 minutes isn't quite enough time to become vested for the comedic punch. That's not to say there aren't films I think are very funny - it is by far the hardest genre of flick to enjoy (horror being second).

17. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Same here. And I think the previews for "I Feel Pretty" look good.

18. Oatsdad

Kinda looks like a reverse "Shallow Hal", doesn't it?

In that one, the lead was a guy who saw a heavyset woman as hot - here's a slightly overweight woman who sees herself as hot.

The female in "Hal" was clearly way heavier than Schumer, though. I honestly don't get why Schumer seems viewed as some sort of fat woman - she's got an average build at worst, and I think she's attractive! :shrug:

19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I agree. And yeah, it brings to mind "Shallow Hal". I think with this they are going for a average sized cute woman who then thinks she's super model hot. And her confidence will then make her appealing to men. And then of course, at some point she'll hit her head again, stop seeing herself as a supermodel and have a crisis of confidence. But the movie looks funny, and I'm looking forward to it.

20. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

First thing that sprang to my mind not knowing the topic was comedy movies. Matter of fact I would say that about every CBS "comedy" that I've seen from the 2010s.

Really it truly goes without saying.
    Watched it with a room full of folks when it came out on pay TV after the theatrical run and I don't recall anyone not laughing. And as for "anything with Chevy Chase", I also loved the NBC sitcom "Community" that he was featured in. He can wear out his welcome, but the idea that everything he's done is horrible doesn't wash. And as far as Ben Stiller, two words: "Tropic Thunder". If you don't find that movie funny, you have no pulse.

I did watch a horrible movie yesterday that there's some debate on whether it's classified as a "comedy". When I do a Google search for "A Fine Madness" (1966), it shows Drama/Romance on the first entry, but Wikipedia, IMDB, and Rotten Tomatoes have it as a Comedy which the poster for the movie also seems to convey. It was TCM yesterday afternoon, I was at dialysis so I had four hours to kill, and it starred Sean Connery and Joanne Woodward, so I figured what the heck. I sincerely regret it. For those of you with Amazon Prime, it is available if you dare. I would imagine all involved still living regret it.

kouzie likes this.
  21. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I think it was because "Up In Smoke" borrowed heavily from their albums. The other movies were mostly new stuff. I don't know if you can call them a one trick pony. They had many highly (NPI) successful comedy albums.

Chad

22. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

I LOVE that film. It's between that and The Big Lebowski for my favorite bowling--based Comedy. I'm not usually a fan of ultra-crass, but damn if I don't find that one hysterical.

23. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

That's right regarding the albums. They had a string of popular records in the 70s. My comment was regarding the movies only.

24. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Horrible show.

25. Michael

we agree!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.