UNIVERSAL DVD- A releases...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by davcole, Jul 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davcole

davcole Member Thread Starter

Anne-Sophie Mutter - The Four Seasons - Deutsche Grammophon - September 23
    Dave Grusin - Two for The Road - GRP Records - September 23
    Diana Krall - Love Scenes - Impulse Records - September 23
    Marvin Gaye - The Marvin Gaye Collection - Motown - September 23
    Christian Thielmann - Carmina Burana - Deutsche Grammophon - October 7

Not all that impressive to me but at least a start!!!

This is from Music Tap!!

http://www.musictap.net/index.html

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Interesting. The Krall has been out on DTS and sounds great; very clear, intimate mix and setup; a DVD-A version would seem almost redundant. The Gaye title is intriguing, since it doesn't tell us very much. There is a Gaye DTS, but it's kinda lacking in song selection; hopefully this one will be more expansive.

ED:cool:

3. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Boy, that's a let down after the SACD thread!!!!
    Where's my Supertramp Crime of the Century!!!!!????

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

They've remastered it, Dave. Whattsa-matter? Don't like bug killers? ;)

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

This list isn't too exciting when compared to the latest SACD list or even in absolute terms. The Krall title brings out the problem with a "format war". Now, I enjoy SACD and DVD-Audio, but I prefer to see a given artist out on one format or the other, not both. We already have two Krall SACDs. My concern is that I buy the DVD-Audio disc and Universal releases it later on SACD. Why release a Krall title on DVD-Audio? Is this an indication that the Krall SACDs have not been selling well or is Universal releasing titles on the formats at random?

6. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I wants ta hears it in 5.1 !!!!!!
    I wanna hear those kids at the beginning of School all around me!!! I want to hear that wakka chakka wah wah part in my face!!! I LOVE THAT ALBUM!

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I think it's just because most people either have a SACD player or a DVD-A player, not both. Or not a universal player.

So releasing a title on DVD-A when it's already out on SACD just means more sales. And it's the same the other way around.... of course!

8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Gary, yeah, I know. I just think it is awkward for a label to be splitting an artist's titles between two formats. I'd like to think that Universal has some idea what it is doing with the two formats. They really are all over the map. Consider that they release some SACDs as single-layer discs and others as hybrids. Where' s the rhyme or reason there?

9. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Roll the dice? :D

Naw.... I think it's because both formats are "new" and they are still experimenting: what will sell more?

But I know where you're coming from, though.... :(

10. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

I think that I can answer your question, but first a little history.

A few years ago, before the much delayed official launch of DVD-A, I attended a Panasonic DVD-A demonstration at the Hi-Fi Show in London, using their just released A10 player. The demo featured surround material exclusively, often at way below the highest possible resolution, and was severely underwhelming. One of the demo disks used was a pre-production version of 'Love Scenes' by Diana Krall.

So this has sat around on a shelf somewhere in Universal for a good few years. No doubt they have finally decided to release it to try and recoup some of the money they spent on mixing and mastering it for DVD-A. After all, so far, they haven't had any income from all of that outlay.

11. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Hey whats the diff??

Buy the new Pioneer Combo player fir 179$ and dont care about what format it is!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.