Universal Remasters on Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NealW, May 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NealW

NealW New Member Thread Starter

i see a lot of these advertised on red trumpet, bob marley , nirvana etc. are they any good are they analogue remasters?? i would love to get some of them but just don't want a digital remaster sold as analogue

2. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Universal LPs?
    BIG can of worms. Can't generalize about labels.
    Some good, some not so good.
    Some are cleanly pressed, some are noisy.
    We have to discuss one title at a time.
    BC

3. NealW

okay bob marley and nirvana (soundgarden is another but i'm sure they recorded in digital).

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Don't limit yourself to that thoery. I've got some digital-mastered LPs that put their poorly cut & mastered alanloggy counterparts to deep, horrible shame. Yet, it's all in "how's the product", not what's in it.

I'm still debating weather or not the Absolute Analogue LP souds better than the 1974-1975 issue of Highway 61, vinylwize....but that's another thread for another time.

I have the Quick One/WHO Universal pressing from Germany. I thought it was done suprisingly well. I wanted to buy the Skynyrd to compare it to my MCA stock issue (that sounds OK, the gate compression on Pronounced sounds more "Pronounced" that way on vinyl than any other issue)

Which one were you gonna git? I'd buy another one if given the chance. Very good!!

5. NealW

actually skynyrd was next on my list

6. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I don't have the Skynard, but I've heard is one of their (Universal's) best.
    Mammas and Pappas is very good.
    Humorem recommended Synchronicity (my copy was VERY noisy).
    BC

7. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Regarding the recent 180G "If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears" Mamas and the Papas:

I bought my copy from Tom. In his catalog he said (if I remember correctly) that this was probably the least distorted version available. That's an understatement (IMO).

While I don't have Steve's MCA Mama's and the Papas compilation to compare the tracks they share, I can't imagine this album sounding better. There is actually some breath of life on these nth bounced recordings!!! I don't know how they did it, but they managed to "improve" this without violating the integrity of the recording. If you have even a small interest in this music and a decent turntable, call Tom up (or whoever you like) and get one. Worth every penny.

Surface noise wise? Mine's a good pressing. However, I did vacuum it before I ever played it to get rid of the static charge (and whatever else may have been lurking in there) with some Tourmat, so that might of helped any problems that may have existed in this regard.

MMM

8. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I agree with MMM
    My copy of "If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears" Mamas and the Papas was VERY clean. Sound wise... it beats my second pressing Dunhill by a mile.
    Again, My copy of the Police Synchronicity on the otherhand was VERY noisy.
    BC

9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I've got the 180G "Synchronicity" on back-order. Hope there are some quiet ones, or else I'll have two noisy copies of "Synchronicity", the first being my "Purple/Gold" cover original that I bought still-sealed a couple of years ago. (actually, I've heard that the ones with the black & white covers are the real originals). I lost track of how many times I tried cleaning it in the hopes it would get quiet. Lost cause. I should have left it sealed. It even had a few small scratches. It was pressed on that special "KC-600" (?) vinyl. Nothing special about this vinyl (IMO), except that it turns purple when you hold it up to the light. Otherwise, it's black (kind of like JVC Supervinyl changing color - those look black normally, but hold one up to the light and it'll look brown).

MMM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.