Universally panned albums that you like

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Folknik, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident Thread Starter

There may have been similar threads before, but after going through the thread on indisputably classic albums that some people don't like or don't get, I just though about the opposite approach. What are some albums that most of the critics and listeners hated that you actually like? The first 3 that come to mind for me are:
    Their Satanic Majesties Request - Rolling Stones. For me, this is a fantastic psychedelic smorgasbord of Baroque textures, Eastern influence, sci-fi, mysticism, and electronic freakout, and one of the Stones' finest albums exploring a path they never went down again.
    Smiley Smile - Beach Boys. Yes, it was a compromised remnant of the hyped and cancelled Smile, or as Carl Wilson said,"A bunt instead of a grand slam." However, I find it a wonderfully weird and quirkily charming album of zany and skewed experimentation and a very bold move for the Beach Boys (even further removed from their early surf sound than the classic Pet Sounds). I actually prefer the eerie and free-flowing version of "Wind Chimes" here to the more rhythmically structured take on Smile. One of the weirdest and most daringly experimental albums of 1967, and no one can say that was easy to pull off.
    The Beat Goes On - Vanilla Fudge. With its pioneering rock arrangements of classical music and its chilling sound collage "Voices in Time" (released months before the Beatles' "Revolution 9"), this was another bold step and a radical departure from their groundbreaking debut album. Sure, it was producer Shadow Morton's idea and it certainly has its flaws, but I've always liked it a lot and still listen to it. I've never heard another album quite like it before or since.
    Any perspectives on these albums or others?

swampwader, Suncola, Umbari and 8 others like this.
  2. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Second Coming - Stone Roses

3. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Not a single one.

Joshua277456 likes this.
  4. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Both albums by Jobriath.

5. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

The critics hated Sitar Explosion by Viking Toothpaste, but it's always been one of my faves.

brock and Big Train like this.
  6. The Beach Boys - Summer In Paradise
    Queen - Hot Space
    The Monkees - Pool It

I also like The Rollings Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request and The Beach Boys - Smiley Smile. These are commonly but hardly universally panned.

longaway, supernaut, Suncola and 3 others like this.
  7. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

At the time I liked The Elder by Kiss indeed I recently re-bought it (I have to admit I didn't remember every part of it and they changed the sequencing) and I would probably say it's still not as bad as the reputation it developed.

I think post mid-80's as well with the advent in the UK of the monthly magazines-music in general is reviewed in much more positive terms you simply don't see artists get a kicking anymore and maybe that's a shame......as a result I can list a whole range of albums by artist I like/love that I think have been overrated to a lesser or greater extent.....U2/Dylan/Springsteen/REM/Costello/....the list would be massive.....

8. Monosterio

Seeing that Joshua liked my post reminded me of one: Dusty in Memphis. :winkgrin:

(Sorry, Joshua.)

9. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

For all the cat lovers out there (screw everybody else!):

Freddie Mercury - "Mr. Bad Guy"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  10. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

i am not sure, but "gaucho" by steely dan was not that good received iirc... my favourite dan album...

supernaut, Fullbug, sonofjim and 9 others like this.
  11. Folknik

I've never heard Summer in Paradise or Pool It, but I've read the bad reviews. I'd still like to seek them out and form my own opinions, since I'm a big fan of both the Beach Boys and the Monkees. I lost track of Queen after "Crazy Little Thing Called Love."

starduster likes this.
  12. Folknik

The Elder is my favorite Kiss album with Destroyer coming in a close second.

13. Monosterio

I recall Rolling Stone giving it a glowing review at the time of its release.

wayneklein likes this.
  14. Folknik

Never heard of that one, but the name of the band and the album title make me want to check it out. Thanks.

Monosterio likes this.
  15. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

16. Folknik

I love Dusty in Memphis, but the reviews were almost unanimously positive.

17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember a good review for Gaucho in Down Beat as well, but it got a B- from Robert Christgau and one star from the reviewer in the early 80's Rolling Stone Record Guide (both of whom praised most of their earlier work).

18. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I think Trompe Le Monde by the Pixies got panned, but I like it.
    For me it's a real brain freeze here because I can think of many that were raved about that I dislike, which was why I spent much of the middle of my life either ignoring reviews or trying to glean their true aspect.
    Mainly though I found that they were unreliable.
    So it's hard for me to recall those that were panned, but here I get reminded of titles like Satanic Magesties Request which I do like.

19. Monosterio

You'll have to take that up with Joshua. :)

20. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Yeah, I think the critics just have it in for lounge metal.

brock and johnlightning like this.
  21. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, though widely panned, both Smiley Smile and TSMR have significant cult followings. I'm not sure about Hot Space, but the other two that you mention come a lot closer to "universally panned" in my book. You take the prize on this thread, dumangl!

starduster likes this.
  22. Monosterio

They were right, IMO.

jdrueke likes this.
  23. Folknik

I've actually bought albums because they got bad reviews. The critic would describe something about the album that made it so bad and I would say, "Sounds like my kind of stuff!"

24. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Sometimes I think that The Elder is better than all this planet's music taken together.

25. Folknik

Lounge metal? That does it. I'm getting that one!

Ignatius and Solace like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.