Unseen and Untold Animal House and Blues Brothers Special on Spike network

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John Carsell, Jan 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident Thread Starter

These were on last Wednesday night back to back and two of my all time favorite comedies, while a lot the commentaries and interviews were interesting and insightful, some of them were taken right from the latest DVD issues.

I was somewhat disappointed there wasn't much in the way of outtakes and deleted scenes. The only one I seen was from Animal House where director Jon Landis is shown working as a cafeteria worker for about 10 seconds.

Is Landis jealously guarding these outtakes and deleted scenes forever or what? They're not on the DVD's either.

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

It is possible that any outtakes just don't exist anymore. Before the advent of home video, especially DVD, I doubt anyone thought there'd ever be much of a market for them. I imagine that with current movies, every outtake or deleted scene is carefully catalogued with an eye toward eventual DVD release.

3. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

All of the outtakes for A Hard Day's Night and Help! were destroyed in 1969.

Evan

4. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I know for certain that the original trims and outtakes for the Blues Brothers no longer exist. According to Landis, Universal tossed them out in 1985. But apparently when they were putting together that special edition DVD of the movie after searching extensively for it, they found the original answer print of the film that had the 15 minutes of footage that was cut out of the theatrical version. They restored and color timed the missing footage, and spliced it back into the movie. Far as I know there's very little if any existing outtakes for Animal House.:(

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Belushi said that guitar smash took "one take" from memory. That blows my mind.

"I gave my love a cherry...."

6. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

The Animal House Anniversary Edition from a few years ago (not the great new one) had LOTS of behind the scenes footage of them making the movie. The problem was that the movie itself was mastered from a damaged interpositive. Go Figure.

The NEW version looks spectacular, was made from the original color negative but has very little extra materal. So, youve gotta get both!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.