Upcoming John Lennon Imagine release out 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikecarrera, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Mine just arrived yesterday, so there's still hope.

jpmosu likes this.
  2. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Still waiting for my deluxe edition.
    Local brick & mortar store hasn't received them yet.

Very frustrating.

3. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

Got the email today. On release date I was looking forward to the set. Now despite lots of positive comments in this thread I’m weary of the whole thing. Once it arrives hopefully I’ll perk up.

green_ovation likes this.
  4. green_ovation

green_ovation Forum Resident

I haven’t heard the Blu-rays yet. I just bought the digital download for now. I’ll get the box early next year. I’m searching for the Blu-ray only tracks online, with little luck

5. green_ovation

green_ovation Forum Resident

I think you will. It’s awesome!

forthlin and robtodd like this.
  6. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

Purely from a sound quality point of view, is this new vinyl pressing or remix better than the 2015 issue?

7. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

Am I the only one that is still moved to tears when I hear the opening few verses of Imagine?

Still saddens me how Lennon’s life was cut short by a crazy deranged obsessive “fan”.

:shake:

sethICE, hodgo, linclink and 4 others like this.
  8. sws2000

sws2000 Forum Resident

I got my dispatched (that's British for shipped :D) email from then today. They say 10-14 working days but last time I ordered from them it took only 11 calendar days so I'll be expecting it the 29th. I've been so distracted by the WL/RRS news that I almost forgot about it :)

jpmosu likes this.
  9. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

Acoustic Sounds is releasing a 96/24 download of the remix tomorrow. I don't know what bonus content there is, but it's hyped up on AS home page.

10. sws2000

sws2000 Forum Resident

Just got a text from DHL. The package is arriving this Monday. So I guess udiscover put a rush on it

forthlin likes this.
  11. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Klaus Voormann's bass playing on this one is just incredible.
    Ditto for George Harrison's slidework!
    There is a lot more to the Imagine album than just "the hits".

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  12. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

More and more - I'm becoming a mega Klaus fan.

I want a movie of his life, damn it. Picture it - student - reeling from a breakup - stumbles into a bar and sees the embryonic Beatles playing, changing his life forever. Setting him on a course to play on some of the greatest albums of all time, designing one of the most iconic album covers of all time, and still living his own fascinating life.

Plus - he seems like a super nice guy.

(From a documentary about his "Sideman's Journey" album)

Cheers,
    Paul

P.S. Apparently - that was one of the first songs Klaus ever played. Paul "forced" him up on stage in the Hamburg days - showed him how to play it on bass - and took a quick break. Launched his career, I think.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  13. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

THIS is how a book included in a deluxe edition should be...just the right amount of eye candy pix and art for the coffee table type but fairly heavy on the technical info for us nerdy types. perfect

14. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

It is indeed a fabulous and very well thought out set that it is certainly good value at £62.

My only complaints.... I would have preffered the music to be a little less compressed, particularily on the Blu-Ray which like CD's only has an overall DR rating of 8. Secondly I would have liked the inclusion of the "Singles & Extras" in their "Raw" mixed form.

I have to agree with regard to the book. Unlike the books in many deluxe editions which are basically just for show, the Imagine book with it's detailed analysis and thoughts from John, Yoko and other musicians involved forms an essential part of the collection. For those who bought the deluxe set as a download, I highly recommend buying the separate book that contains all the same info and more is available for around £22 on Amazon.

Imagine Book

[​IMG]

15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Very good job on the remix.

blutiga and albertop like this.
  16. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I watched the remastered Gimme Some Truth today on Bluray. It’s been a few years since I watched this documentary and it’s fascinating look into those 7 days at Ascot Sound Studios. In many ways, it’s John version of Let It Be, filming the session. Thankfully this time, there was no heroin involved and he seemed to have enjoyed their presence. Makes you wonder how Get Back may have come out if John was stoned through it.....

Regarding the bonus features, it’s silly that they did not include the cinema exclusives - How Do You Sleep, Oh My Love and Oh Yoko on the Bluray. Three cool additional tracks that are now back in the vaults.....all that work just for one day of limited theatrical viewing.

Isaac Azimuth, BeatleJWOL and hodgo like this.
  17. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Played CD3 from the box last night for the first time and I think it's superb. The first tracks in original album order are kind of like if Imagine had been done like POB, without sugar coating. Loving this box.

coffeetime, forthlin and fishcane like this.
  18. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Anyone heard when the collectors edition of the Imagine John Yoko book is likely to appear? Amazon is someone inconclusive on a delivery date.

19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...any problems inserting the discs back in the "pockets"? Just curious.

20. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

They are not the greatest CD holders, but I can forgive it. The price was excellent and there are obviously the odd economy here and there. The content and book are fine. I'm guessing that the new McCartney sets will be similar and the price point there was much greater, I think Flowers had a similar wallet. Seems to be the current methodology for SDEs.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  21. oboogie

oboogie Forum Resident

Amazon US informed me that the collectors edition will arrive 11/13/18.

dormouse likes this.
  22. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Thanks for that. Will stop waiting for the postman for the time being. Amazon UK still say "We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date." That's OK. There are a lot of items queued at the moment. I have a few books backed up and more box sets to arrive so this is no major issue. I'm sure it will be worth the wait based on the quick look at the standard version I saw last weekend in Foyles.

yardbuzzard and oboogie like this.
  23. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

No, but you have to be careful not to rip the pockets. I just slightly prize them open and push the discs in.

dormouse likes this.
  24. sws2000

sws2000 Forum Resident

Agreed! Just the opposite form the Pink Floyd immersion edition books, what a disappointment

fishcane likes this.
  25. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Yes, the Early Years didn't exactly win any prizes either for the booklets. The Imagine book was very good and I'm hoping that the Wild Life/RRS books will continue with the high quality documentation (and of course the White Album and Dylan set, and Village Green and....) My wallet has just left the room!

sws2000 and Oyster Boy like this.