Upcoming Yes archival release: "Progeny: Seven Shows from Seventy Two"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whiskeyvengeance, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patsdelight

patsdelight Forum Resident

"Different source tapes?" Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but for the performances that overlap with Yessongs, these should be from the same multi-track "source tapes", right? (Minus the edits, overdubs, and fixes, obviously.)

Or, did I miss something?

2. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

These were "found" tapes so they can't be the same tapes

ARK likes this.
  3. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

As Scott says, yep, different tapes. But these found tapes, not those other found tapes. :D Here's a previous post that outlines some details.

Scott Wheeler likes this.
  4. patsdelight

I read the post, and it doesn't *specifically* say that these weren't the tapes used to mix songs for the original Yessongs release. They could have been lost sometime after that release, right? (They could also be a complete separate set of multis, too, perhaps a safety copy, or a backup recorded on another machine at the same time, though that seems unlikely, given the "mobile" nature of the recordings.) The earlier post is also out dated, as I believe Brian Kehew (sp?) said these were all 16 track, 2 inch recordings.

I'm not trying to spilt hairs... not on purpose anyway ;-) . Just trying to be accurate, I guess.

And I'm SUPER stoked about this release. Can't wait for more samples!

Plan9 likes this.
  5. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

Hmm, fair point. Seeing as how wiki says Yessongs has been remastered in 1994, 2001, and 2009 ... that sorts kinda suggests the Yessongs sources were not lost. Then again, it doesn't rule out that these "2008 tapes" were then used for the 2009 remaster, although it seems the person who worked on the Progeny project is not the same person who did the 2009 remaster. With no mention I see of the Yessongs sources being lost, it's not certain but I'm gonna assume these are separate tapes. As much as it matters.

I'm glad you are excited based on the samples ... I have resisted them (so far).

ARK likes this.
  6. patsdelight

Yeah, but Yes songs was *remastered*, not remixed from the original source multis. Completely different sets of tapes.

Karsten and Scott Wheeler like this.
  7. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

As I understand it, having read an earlier post in this thread which had a long and very informative commentary from the man in charge of mixing Progeny, the tapes used for this project are the multi-tracks of the shows from which a bunch of tracks were used back in the day to put most of Yessongs together. Whatever remastering Yessongs has seen over the years was done from 2-track mixdown masters, meaning that the mix that was done for the original Yessongs has been set in stone since day one.

Progeny goes back to the multi-tracks and is a brand new mix, correcting the problems that plagued the original mix.

The post with Brian Kehew's notes is here: Producer's technical notes

8. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

The latest preview!

9. kayley10

kayley10 Forum Resident

For the last time, all the recordings on YesSongs are from this bunch of tapes except CTTE and ST from the Raibow show in London and LDR/Fish and Perpetual Change.

patsdelight likes this.
  10. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

ledsox, Lonson and LordJohn like this.
  11. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

From Amazon :mad:

Hello,

We're writing about the order you placed on February 27, 2015. Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

Yes "Progeny: Seven Shows From Seventy-Two (14CD Deluxe Box)"
    Estimated arrival date: May 26, 2015

12. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I got an email from Amazon too, for the vinyl:

Yes "Progeny: Highlights From Seventy-Two (3LP)"
    Estimated arrival date: June 01, 2015 - June 05, 2015

13. mld218

mld218 Forum Resident

Interesting that your vinyl is June 1 - June 5 my delay on the vinyl is May 26th

Yes "Progeny: Highlights From Seventy-Two (3LP)"
    Estimated arrival date: May 26, 2015

14. kevnhuys

kevnhuys Forum Resident

For the concerts that overlap with Yessongs, presumably the same source tapes that Offord worked from in 1973.

(EDIT: I see this point was already made by others. Again, there is no reason to believe these are *different* multitracks than the ones Offord worked from)

patsdelight likes this.
  15. kevnhuys

kevnhuys Forum Resident

...which are likely from NYC dates at the Academy of Music

16. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

^^^
    If so it's from the 25th November show. I've got a boot from the 24th and the performances are different from Yessongs.

LordJohn likes this.
  17. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Yeah that's odd. For the price though ($16.99), I'll be happy if it shows up. A few days later is no big deal.

EddieMann likes this.
  18. mld218

mld218 Forum Resident

I'm with you. I'll still be shocked if we end up getting the vinyl for 16.99. I'd love to know how many people jumped on that when it was available.

EddieMann likes this.
  19. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I cancelled my preorder because it says it's a CD.

20. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Anybody heard any details about the pressing plans for the vinyl? Really hoping they do it right...

21. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Mine clearly says vinyl. Still does. I made a screen shot too, just in case anything changes.

Seagull likes this.
  22. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

Granted I have may have drinking when I cancelled, but I had pre-ordered the 2 CD highlights along with the full set as I wasn't sure which I was going to get. I ended up canceling the 2 CD set, and though I don't have the notice it gave conflicting info. I swear it had both CD and vinyl mentioned. So maybe it was the whiskey, or maybe there's a new format - a mini vinyl that you put in your CD player (I like this idea more than trying to play a CD on my turntable). :laugh:

23. Seagull

Seagull Seabird flavour member

I did the same (£11.99 for me from .co.uk). It clearly said vinyl when I ordered it. Linking through from the order now goes to the CD page.

I have not had anything from them stating that they had made a mistake on the web-site and that my order had been changed by them. I have had an email stating that the release date had been pushed back.

I am waiting to see if I get the LPs or the CDs. If the latter then I will raise it with customer services.

To be honest I would be happy with either but it is worth a shot.

24. mld218

mld218 Forum Resident

I was going to do the same thing, let it ride and see what gets shipped. Since the email clearly states vinyl was ordered at least I have something to go back to customer service with if they send the cd's.

25. thos

thos Forum Resident

They also played at the NY Academy of Music in Feb '72, so it could be from one of those shows...

Meng likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.