Upgrade for Technics SL-1200 MK2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by grooveme, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grooveme

grooveme Active Member Thread Starter

Hi there! My first post on the site :p

I wanted to upgrade the cartridge for my SL-1200 MK2 turntable cause the initial one has worn out.

I'm thinking of buying the Shure M97XE and mounting it to the original headshell. Is it worth?

Also, what's your opinion on the SL-1200 series? Do you consider them good hifi/audiophile turntables (as they are mainly for DJ use)?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2014
    Mister Charlie likes this.
  2. John76

John76 Forum Resident

Well, there's an entire economy built upon modifying the SL-1200 deck. I have one in stock form that I recently compared with a vintage Rega Planar 2 and felt the Rega was better. Here's a thread I started here with the files if you're curious, have a listen.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-sl-1200-mk2-comparison.386026/#post-11228798

3. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

First off welcome to the forums.

Do yourself a favor and give Kevin at KAB in NJ a call. He is the resident expert in the states on modding Technics direct drive turntables. Upgrading your tonearm wire, adding the fluid damper and a decent cartridge will really open up that table.

I don't know what your budget is but if you can swing $250 you can get an Ortofon OM30 which is a great cartridge for that table. As are most of the Goldring line.

The Shure you mentioned is a very popular and inexpensive cartridge that would fit and play well also on that table, granted not as nice as the Ortofon.

I used a Goldring 2500 on my table for many years and was very happy with the performance of that particular cart (and brand).

jupiterboy likes this.
  4. Another vote for KAB. I installed the KAB fluid damper on my 1800MKII. Best $150 I've spent. I also use the Shure M97xe with and without the Jico SAS stylus and an Ortofon 2M Bronze. They are all compatible with the Technics tonearm

5. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

You will no doubt "hear" (read) many opinions about your TT from the dedicated fans to those who will dismiss it as obsolete. In good working order its a classic, what really matters is how happy it makes you.

Aftermath and Shak Cohen like this.
  6. John76

John76 Forum Resident

I wouldn't dismiss the SL-1200, its a classic deck and I quite like it. Technics sold over 3 million of them and it makes a nice used purchase as parts for it are still available. I'm just not convinced it's better than other decks that can be had for the same price on the used market.

I do think there's a lot of group think regarding the efficacy of modifying the deck and I remain skeptical whether it's worth doing. It's easy to make a change that is hard to reverse and just because it's different to declare it better, we see it all the time with audiophiles. :)

sami likes this.
  7. grooveme

Thank you all for the replies and the feedback considering my turntable. These are all some pretty good suggestions. You've been very informative. I'll check them out and purchase one based on my budget.

Thanks again.

24voltsdc likes this.
  8. grooveme

I'm not a US redistent, pal.

Thanks for the info, though :tiphat:

9. Upinsmoke

Well ya never said where you live, but check out soundhifi in the UK. If you feel comfortable doing the work , and none of its all that difficult for someone reasonably talented mechanically you can always have it shipped. Soundhifi tends to have more expensive upgrades though.

Nielsoe likes this.
  10. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

It's a very good turntable in stock form, but an external PSU and a Rega arm will send it up where it belongs. My humble advice would be to start out with getting a secondhand RB250 (expect to pay about 60 GBP) and then later look for a Timestep PSU and you'll hear the angels sing. Well, I did anyway!!

11. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

A Jelco 750 arm would be better, imo.

utahusker likes this.
  12. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

I would leave it stock and upgrade the cart...if you go with the M97XE I would recommend acquiring a Jico SAS stylus for it. That stylus changes the M97 into a very nice sounding cart.

sami likes this.
  13. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

It's a commonly-held myth that these turntables were built for DJ use. They were designed to be hi-fi turntables, but were eventually adopted by the DJ community because they are so solid and could withstand the abuse that DJ tables are subject to.

They are great turntables and their speed accuracy is difficult to beat.

14. agree the Jico SAS stylus is a great upgrade. Only problem I find is that it is SO sensitive; if your LP has pops and clicks the Jico will exaggerate them. But on pristine vinyl it's superor

15. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

If your budget allows, and you're more intent upon upgrading the cartridge, you could try the Audio-Technica AT-440MLa which is a superb tracking cartridge. Some folks here do find it a bit bright, at least until it has been broken in. I have a KAB modded SL-12ooMK2 (Cardas rewire) that I use in my quad system and I'm completely satisfied with it. I have several vintage cartridges I use with it, and all have their unique qualities. The Shure M97Xe is a great cartridge, and I have a stock one mounted in my Dual 1229Q, and I don't think you'll be disappointed with it. The Jico SAS upgrade is a good suggestion for the Shure, just be sure you get your cartridge alignment spot-on; that's very important with any kind of fine-line stylus. Pay special attention to azimuth.

16. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

I agree....I own one in perfect condition and there is no way in hell that it will get modified in any way other than cartridge and stylus changes.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  17. motorcitydave

18. Upinsmoke

APH, 2xUeL and motorcitydave like this.
  19. motorcitydave

:shh: :laugh: me=:blah: :nyah:

2xUeL likes this.
  20. Upinsmoke

Lol

motorcitydave likes this.
  21. motorcitydave

:D:thumbsup:

22. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I would also recommend the Shure M97xE for the 1200...it's a pretty inexpensive cartridge, so it's a low-risk gamble to take.

Play the stock cartridge for a while and see if you like the sound characteristics. I find the stock cartridge can track really well, if properly aligned...and you might be perfectly satisfied with it, needing no further upgrades. The upgrade to a Jico SAS stylus is optional and is something that can be explored if one later wanted to improve the tracking and potentially modify the sound, but I would get used to running the stock cartridge first. If one does upgrade to the Jico stylus, the original stylus can be kept for vinyl that's a bit more worn-out or dirtier. (I also would never run a Jico SAS stylus on a styrene 45, for fear of shredding the grooves.) Changing the styli in and out is a breeze.

Also, if one wants to try out other cartridges, buy another headshell or two and you can easily swap cartridges for comparison purposes...or for different utilities. For example, I have several different cartridges mounted to different headshells. Some I use for my nice LPs, some I use for 45s, some I used for well-worn vinyl, and some I use for my 78s. I am routinely switching cartridges based on what I'm listening to. A quick re-adjustment of tracking weight, arm height, and anti-skating force is all it takes...it takes less than a minute to make the change, in most cases.

Finally, it's already been mentioned, but bookmark the KAB website as a great source of parts for your Technics 1200 (including original headshells): http://www.kabusa.com/m1200.htm

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    Shak Cohen likes this.
  23. CodyW

CodyW Forum Resident

When I used a SL1200, I found the Audio Technica AT120e to be a great bang for the buck for a budget cartridge. In fact, I thought it was a better match for the SL1200 than the more expensive AT440.

McLover likes this.
  24. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

I don't mean to sound disagreeable but is that a fact? It seems logical that high-torque/direct drive functionality (holding the record in cue, backspinning, and needing fast startup time) and extended pitch adjustment would have been the result of DJ needs (as well as heavy-duty construction)...?

25. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

I'm a "pseudo-audiophile" in the sense that I think I have a discerning ear but I'm quite content with "mediocre" equipment. I use a 1200 with an m97xE and I have no complaints. I personally have no interest in tonearm replacements or stylus upgrades...to each his/her own! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.