Upgrading from a vintage Technics to a VPI...but which VPI?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dharmabumstead, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've got a vintage Technics SL-1600 with an Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge. I want to upgrade to a VPI. I want a quieter, smoother turntable that is much better at hiding rumble and surface noise, if that's possible. I think I've narrowed it down to either the Traveler or the Scout or the Classic 1.

Which of would be the best bang-for-the-buck upgrade? And which cartridge - thinking of either moving my 2M Blue over or, money permitting, getting a 2M Bronze or Black (again, less surface noise is a primary concern).

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  2. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

The Traveler has been discontinued recently. Also look at a Rega RP6 and Well Tempered Simplex. Depending on your budget, you can also look to the Well Tempered Amadeus. I like Dynavector cartridges and the 20x2L would match well with any of those tables mentioned.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  3. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

Surface noise is, imho, more attributable to stylus profile and setup then then the actual table / arm (assuming it's not a junker).

However, I owned a 1200m3d and can say in my experience both the Scout and the Classic were upgrades. I will admit that I had no rumble issues with my technics. I will also say that you might prefer the VPI's which have the motor separated from the turntable itself so that would exclude the Classic. If I were you, I would consider the Scout or the the VPI Prime.

edit: I should mention that I have the Classic and love it and notice no motor noise but some have reported hearing it and I believe some people are more sensitive to certain things like this.

4. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

Also, if surface noise is a concern don't get the Black ... it's notorious for highlighting surface noise.

I would go for a microline stylus. I'm running a AT OC9 / MLii and love it ... but will probably get the AT 33PTG/ii when it's time to upgrade for something a little different but with the same microline stylus profile.

5. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I kept a Studer/ReVox B-791 with the old Shure classic since 1981. I updated cartridges, and back then, Shure was the one to own. I went from the 3 to the 4 to the 5 over the years, and ended up keeping my Shure V-15 V-MR and purchased an extra stylus for future replacement. I agree with other folks on the site that you cannot go wrong with any of the Otofon cartridges, the 2M Blue, 2M Bronze or my favorite, the 2M Black. The VPI brand can be purchased for so much less than list price, but you have to work at it! Some dealers have their heads in the clouds and tell you they have no mark up in the tables, and they can't discount, but that is a big fat lie! Get a list of the dealers and get on the phone and MAKE YOUR DEAL, as I did. I looked at the old Thorens refurbished turntables, but ended up with VPI's Scout with their Uni-pivot arm . I really wanted the Prime, but it is so much more and has a larger footprint. VPI had (3) special run tables with a 2" acrylic platter, so I jumped on that deal real quick. I had a Thorens for a short time and when I walked past it, that suspension system had that arm bouncing all over the record. The VPI clammed that down tremendously, but did not eliminate it, so I had a 45 pound piece of marble cut and finished, added some great Vibra Pods and designed my own 1/4" thick acrylic desk top dust cover with no huge cut outs on the sides, as most dust covers have and wow, it's wonderful, no bouncing stylus with this set up! Let me add one final tidbit in regard to the VPI. It comes with the easy to use metal, heavy duty cartridge alignment tool, NO GUESS WORK, it is fantastic. One final advantage of the VPI, the record clamp screws on, locking your record firmly to the platter, no fake light weight aluminum claps here, this one truly cuts the mustard.:)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I would avoid the Traveller, am not especially familiar with the Scout, but absolutely love the Classic. If you can find a good deal on one it's about no-brainer as one can get in audio. I started off with an OC9/ii on mine and loved it.

7. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

I'm not really sure what you're trying to achieve. You're already coming from a table with extremely low rumble and that minimizes surface noise. What are you using for a phono stage?

8. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

I recently upgraded from an older 1200 MK2 to a used Traveler, and I'm perfectly happy. If you can spring for a Classic or Scout, though, I say go for it.

9. Nate

Nate Forum Resident

If budget permits the Prime is a natural

10. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

PRIME is all the turntable "anyone" needs, after the Prime, you are going for those diminishing returns!:agree:

johnny q likes this.
  11. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

I would go with a Rega or Well tempered over any VPI. If you really have your heart set on a VPI there are normally tons of them used on Audiogon. If your not planning on also putting a commiserate amount of money in a phono pre you will not get the true worth of any of the tables. Please keep in mind that there is typically minor differences in sound once you reach a certain price point. Your cartridge and speakers will contribute mounds more detail than just a simple TT upgrade.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  12. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

I like the VPI models that have an external motor assembly. In order of performance it's the Scout, Scout with 2" aluminum platter (formerly called the Scout 2), then the Prime. Deals can be found on both new and used tables.

13. russk

russk Forum Resident

With the disclaimer that I haven't heard their newest table, I would start at the Classic with VPI tables.

14. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Classic is the way to go. Has many differences over the Technics (longer arm, massive platter, unipivot, belt drive, massive plinth - just to name a few.) And it is a beautiful deck.

15. G E

G E Senior Member

+1 on well tempered Amadeus. They can be found used under $2k. Recently saw one on A'Gon with the external power supply for about $1700 or so which made someone a great deal.

Audition it with the VPI models. They are not much alike except they are both turntables

16. Jim Lankin

Jim Lankin New Member

If you haven't made a move shoot me a message . Or anyone looking for either a classic signature with 3d arm or a classic 4 in piano black or oak .... VPI is going to make Christmas special for us music lovers

17. landonspop

landonspop New Member

I may be to new to PM. Let me know if you are still out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.