Upgrading the cartridge for my Audio-Technia LP-1240

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mark DeVito, Nov 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark DeVito

Mark DeVito Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello -

I bought an audio-technia LP-1240 player recently and paired it with a Shure M97xE.

My family and in-laws are asking me what I want for Christmas and I really can't think of anything and said nothing. However, if I can score another needle I would do so.

I've been reading up on many of them and can't come to a decision.

Does anyone have suggestions on an upgrade that would be worth-while?
    I have a budget of $200 - $400 right now to play with.

Not sure if this helps, but I have Yamahaa receiver and B&W speakers.
    I have a Budgie preamp as well.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  2. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

For $400 I would score a Rega Planar 1 and put the Shure M97xE on that. The Planar 1 is nicely upgradeable when the urge hits. If you go that route, just remember that the correct thickness for a glass platter for a Rega '1' or '2' (any variation) is 10mm not 12mm.

3. Mark DeVito

Thanks for the suggestion.
    I've read a ton of conflicting reviews on that one. I was close to getting it, but went with what I have

beat_truck likes this.
  4. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

On YouTube, there is a Japanese guy who reviews many cartridges. I think he is fair and brutally honest. You may want to watch some of those.
    This will get you started:

5. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

This one is a pretty good summary: MM Cartridges US$90-120: Nagaoka MP110 REVIEW.

6. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

The turntable you have is a well-regarded machine and a move to the P1 would not be an upgrade IMO. Not at all. I am a fan of the m97xe and if you've been happy with that cart I would consider the 97xvl (vivid line) stylus at LPGear, or look at the HE and JICO options that are available at several online outfits. The JICO SAS for the m97xe normally goes for $289 and I have rarely seen other than raves for it in this and other forums. I have a m97xe with stock stylus that is going to be in need of stylus in the next several months so please let us know if you get a new stylus and your opinions of doing so. Thanks!

7. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I was just giving my opinion. That is all that is on here. Opinions. I prefer Rega and I do not care for Shures. If 100 people respond, he will get 100 different opinions.

Mark DeVito likes this.
  8. Mark DeVito

That was helpful, thank you.

9. Mark DeVito

I'll take a look at those.
    Thanks for the input.

It'll be till after Christmas till I grab one, but I'll let you know if I get another one.

10. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

For 400 i would score a preowned phono pre like a lehmann audio black cube or something worth in the 700-800 new.

Or records, record shelves, an additional source (cd player), a chromecast, high-end cables, a 300 cart like at440mlb, speakers standmount...

11. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

If it has the same alignment as a sl1200 - then I'd go with a KAB ProS30 Ortofon Concorde - it is an awesome cart and in your price category.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.