Upgrading to new Phono stage or 2 channel Integrated Amp???

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by piffinainteasy, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. piffinainteasy

piffinainteasy New Member Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

So i am going to be upgrading my cartridge soon to most likely an ortofon blue.

That being said, i've contemplated upgrading my phono stage or just getting a new integrated 2.1 channel amp. the receiver im using now is more of a home theater set up for 7 channels, tho it does have a built in preamp.

I've looked at some cambridge options or marantz on crutchfield for integrated amps with phono inputs, but curious if i were to go with an external preamp on my current receiver, if one would benefit more than the other?

Curious on any input on the subject.

Edit for current gear: Pioneer PL512 w/ Empire 4000d/i cart, Integra dtr 7.7 receiver and KEF q100 speakrs

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  2. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Fill out your equipment profile. Impossible to give advice not knowing what your current set up is.

3. piffinainteasy

my fault i rushed through that way to quick at work. Just edited and i currently have a integra dtr 7.7 receiver, KEF q100 speakers and Pioneer PL 512 table

Dennis0675 likes this.
  4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I'm not familiar with that Integra but I know it is a pretty good brand. I think it is high end Onkyo if I'm remembering correctly.

With that said, switching an AVR for a 2 channel amp is a wise idea if you are mostly listening to music. You can however to much better with an external phono with your current amp or just about anything integrated that sells for less than $1,000 new.

I would start with a new external phono, spend about $400 to $500 and then get a nice used 2 channel integrated. A serviced Pioneer or marantz from 1980 or before with at least 75wpc will set you right up. I do thing the new Marantz 2 ch are top tier bang for the buck if buying new and the internal phono isn't terrible.

5. piffinainteasy

Much appreciated. I was leaning towards a Phono stage as it was. All maybe a bit out of my price range...was probably going to be in the $150-$200 for phono and $300-$400 for amp

i could probably justify doing $500ish for the integrated amp with a solid phono input tho.

6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

If $500 is the limit, spend it on a vintage reciever. You might also be better off saving the $100 and sticking with a 2m red. You don't really need to put as much into a cart if you don't give it the phono that delivers its potential.

7. piffinainteasy

yea i slowly am looking to build a better system but cant justify the high dollars yet.

and i've seen so much back and forth on the Red and Blue i figured i may just jump to the blue. and may i ask why you recommend the red over the blue? My understanding is the blue is basically the same cartridge, just with a better stylus.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Oh, it's twice as the red but I don't think you need to get that far out front with a cart. I'd just roll that money into an amp if sticking to a budget.

And you don't have to spend a lot to get a lot. It helps but you can have a great system by spending just $500 at a time. I would advise trying to spend that much on each pice as a general rule. A cart would be about the last thing I would go high dollar on.

9. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Yahama's current 2-channel integrated amps with built-in phono and DAC sections are worth your consideration. The phono inputs are really quite good for the price.

10. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

If you don't use the surround sound functions I would absolutely switch to a dedicated two channel solution.

11. piffinainteasy

you know that one has been in my mind as i've seen a lot of chatter on those recently. and having a nice DAC would be a bonus.

appreciate it!

12. piffinainteasy

no i certainly dont. i got a couple surround receivers from my old junk removal job and while they are in good shape, a lot of features i do not use.

13. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

I would get the best integrated amp that you can afford now. You can get a better external phono section later if you feel the need.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  14. piffinainteasy

yeah i think im leaning in that direction. i guess im a bit pessimistic on how big of a difference the results can be just from upgrading the amp. not a lot of listening experience on different set ups.

15. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

most 2 channel amps ive listened to would easily out perform every 5/7channel amp ive had when it comes to music. Home cinema receivers do a job but they arent comparable to a decent 2 channel amp.

16. piffinainteasy

good to hear, no pun intended.

might have to drop the wallet on one.

anything you recommend in the $300-$500 range? the yamahas look decent, saw a couple cambridge audio ones that were maybe a bit cheaper. certainly not looking to blow a ton of money.

17. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

Having used a lot of very average audio equipment, I have to disagree regarding not spending on the cartridge. Even when using the built-in preamp of an at lp120usb into a sony 5.1 receiver, the difference between the cheap pack-in at95e and an at440mla was dramatically clear.

Cerealplayer and Dennis0675 like this.
  18. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

Rega Brio-R would fit the bill nicely here. Great integrated amp with a nice built in MM phono stage that can be had for around $500 used.

dbsea likes this.
  19. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

I wouldnt know about what is available over there or prices unfortunately. Im sure others on your side of the pond will be able to advise better than me :)

20. piffinainteasy

would have helped to check your location :doh:

21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I don't disagree with that at all, in that case a cart upgrade is a big deal. There is a point of diminishing returns with a cart and it is a temporary upgrade. An amp or a phono stage is going to potentially be in the system for ten to twenty years. With a budget of $500, I would have hard time putting $200 into a cart.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    dbsea likes this.
  22. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

That makes sense since the Red is upgradable to the Blue. The Blue replacement stylus is almost the same price as the entire Blue cart, but this approach will leave the OP with a backup Red stylus.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  23. randyshakes

randyshakes Forum Resident

I was just getting ready to ask the exact same question of this forum. Glad I looked here first. I've already bought my 2m blue and am awaiting delivery. After I listen to the blue for awhile, I'll decide which path to take, either a new integrated amp or phono stage. Still using my Denon DRA 435 R and Paradigm 7SE's that I bought in high school in 1989. Starting to get that itch for some new gear!

Dennis0675 likes this.
  24. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

I've fairly recently gone through several upgrade cycles around the same sort of level / budget that this thread is talking about. I'm by no means an expert, but hopefully some of my observations can be helpful. I'll summarise some of the upgrades on the themes here.

I have an AT-LP5, which shipped with the stock cart, and was initially listening through the onboard phono stage and an old Denon receiver (into some Elac B5s, but I won't go into detail on the speakers)

Bought an external phono stage - Cambridge Audio CP1. Noticeable difference, wider soundstage, more of a "3D" image to the music, rather than a 2D image. Evolutionary rather than revolutionary. Easier to hide the extent of the purchase from the wife.

Changing from the AV receiver to a 2 channel integrated amp I've borrowed and am currently using a Cambridge Audio CXA-80. Not a huge difference, but again, noticeable. For want of a better descriptor, the sound is now "bigger", and more dynamic. I can more clearly hear the separation between instruments and place them in the soundstage.

Upgraded the stock cart (AT95EX) to the 2M Blue. BIG difference. Bass is deeper and more controlled. Highs are less harsh, more detailed. Revolutionary. Wife also did not notice the physical change, other than to say "this record sounds really good", which was something she had heard before without commenting.

Auditioning various 2 channel integrated amps. I have to give the CA back, so I'm looking for an amp of my own. I've settled on the 2017 Rega Brio. I was able to A/B test it against the older Brio. I couldn't hear a great deal of difference, however the integrated headphone amp in the newer model swayed me in that direction. Unfortunately I wan't able to A/B test against the CA gear, but as far as I can determine, the Rega sounds a little warmer than the CA, and that it the sort of "colouring" that I wanted, if given a choice. This last factor may well be a combination of my existing gear and room,

Hope some of that helps!

25. piffinainteasy

thanks man, that was certainly a help. i pulled the trigger on a 2m Blue this afternoon and am super excited for it to come in. Still not sure where ill go next but i might jump to the 2 channel amp with a solid phono stage.

morinix, displayname and Dennis0675 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.