Upgrading Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bruce Burgess, Feb 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member Thread Starter

I currently have a Rega P3(2000) with all the Groovetracer upgrades and an Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge. I use the MM phono stage in my Rega Elicit amp.

I am considering moving up to to either the Planar 6, the Scout Prime or the Technics 1200GR. I understand that all three are excellent turntables but the sound is largely dependent on the cartridge used. I don't mind spending big bucks on stereo equipment that will last for many years. However, I hate to spend over a thousand dollars on a cartridge that I will have to replace every three years or so. Do I really need to spend that much to get the benefit of having a better turntable? What if I only wanted to spend $400 to $500 on a cartridge? In other words, if I am not willing to spend more than $500 on a cartridge, am I wasting my money upgrading my turntable?

2. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

A turntable can be a good upgrade even without a cartridge upgrade. However, unless you’re dissatisfied with the P3 the phono stage could be a more meaningful upgrade. From the Elicit’s internal phono stage to the Rega Aria seems like a bigger step than from the upgraded P3 to the Planar 6.

Strat-Mangler, Leonthepro and Helom like this.
  3. Bruce Burgess

You might be right. My P3 tracks better and sounds better with the Groovemaster upgrades. The reason I am using the Elicit internal phono stage is because of humming and RFI issues from my Graham Slee 2SE. I've heard of other expensive external phono stages having the same issues. For that reason, I've been reluctant to invest in another phono stage. I would only do so if I was able to easily return it if I encountered those kinds of issues.

4. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

Aria works really well with regas turntables...I have one with my rega 8 and have no humming or issues..def look a trying one...prob a better step up than a new cart

5. Bruce Burgess

I definitely should use a better phono stage than the internal one in my Elicit. I tried hooking up my Graham Slee 2SE and did some comparisons. The 2SE sounded a lot better, although it still had the humming and RFI issues. The internal phono stage is definitely the weak link in my system. There is no point in getting a better turntable until I first get a better phono stage, without the humming or RFI issues.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  6. Liquid Len

Liquid Len Forum Resident

Strange!? I run an old Rega Planar 3 through a Gram Amp 2SE into an Arcam A85 amp and have never had any hum/RFI issues. In fact it's very quiet and sounds superb to my ears. I did, however, rewire the arm a good few years ago which may have helped.

7. Bruce Burgess

The problem is definitely not with the Rega turntable or amp. I don't get this problem with other phono stages. I've tried different interconnects and still get the hum and RFD. Perhaps I live closer to a radio station than you do. I tested it in a different location and it was dead quiet.

8. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

One big win would be to send your arm (RB301?) back to Rega for a rewire. I had one channel fail on my RP6 after several years use and recently sent the RB303 back. Rega completely rewired it for free with the latest wiring and plugs and it sounds twice as good as it did before. Maybe from the States this could be more difficult but worth a shot. Also the latest Fono MM (mark 3) stage would be an improvement on the built-in one I suspect (but no proof)...http://www.rega.co.uk/fono-mm-1.html. Also - bit obvious - when did you last buy your t/t a new belt?

9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Any of them can have these issues because it's environmental. You could experience this issues, then take the same equipment to a friend's place and it'll be dead-silent. Or vice-versa.

Buy from a reputable dealer with a good return policy so you can get a refund if those issues occur and you can't find a way to eliminate them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.