Uriah Heep reissues 2015/6

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Sep 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Thanks for your thoughts. Does it have mastering credits anywhere?

2. Wuther

Wuther Prog Rock Explorer

Nope.

jon9091 likes this.
  3. jon9091

That's generally not a good sign. :shake:

4. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Having made the mistake of buying Earmarks at one time, I must pass on these. My US originals will do.

jon9091 likes this.
  5. Wuther

jon9091 likes this.
  6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Optimal Media explains the nice quiet pressing.

7. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I purchased Demons and Wizards as well as The Magicians Birthday LPs, and my copies are US pressings. Pressed at United Record Pressing, yet both are nice and quiet pressings.

These are cut by WG/NRP... And I also have the Wax Cathedral pressings of both titles, and I like the newer BMG Sanctuary preessings better.

As others have mentioned neither title is a sonic marvel, but they are "passable". The only issue I have is side 2 of Magicians Birthday is cut slightly off center.

8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I agree with you. I have a wax cathedral pressing and that is one crapola mastering job.

9. Wuther

I had to get rid of my Demons And Wizards (US pressing) because of the sonic problems. Could not stand the unnatural sound. The vinyl was quiet though.

10. jon9091

So, the UK versions are pressed at Optimal and cut by KR and the US versions are pressed at United and cut by WG/NRP....does that make sense, and who are these people?

11. Wuther

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Sure it makes sense. The US pressing can avoid shipping costs over seas and maybe cheaper per unit. Not to mention how easy it is to send a 16/44.1 file of the mastering used for this title.

I just checked the deadwax on my copy, it has the WG/nrp. Anyway, the pressing quality is quite good for my copy. The source and the mastering leave a bit to be desired.

13. jon9091

Well, now I wonder which sounds better?

14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I am sure the digital files used to cut these records are identical. Again, my NRP pressing was flat and quiet.

15. Wuther

Files are the same but the master disc cutting process (i.e mastering) should be different, anyway. It is based on a mastering/cutting engineer's tastes and skills. Plus, the equipment, tools & materials being used.

jon9091 likes this.
  16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Not nessasarily, the record could be cut from a file with all of the mastering moves included in the file. The cutter would simply cut the record without any additional mastering moves. Your scenario would mean that BMG/Uriah Heep would have to pay and approve two different masters, not just two different cuts.

I do agree that equipment used and cutting skills can affect the sound. My contentions are source used and eq choices. Sourced used seems to limit these reissues mostly.

17. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Unfortunately the industry is not always interested in doing the right thing by re-mastering these recordings. Just getting a product out there. On the other hand, these tapes are old and must be suffering, if they did indeed use the original masters. An original vinyl release is most certainly going to sound better than a modern day re-master.

18. Wuther

Well it could be done different ways, but normally cutting engineer is responsible for his own mastering which most likely depends on the methods and materials used by him in the mastering process. Based on that, he could (or could not) change/adjust the signals characteristics sent to the lathe. And that could make a great difference as a result.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  19. Wuther

Did anybody ever mention original masters being used? Just curious.

20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I can only guess they had access to the original masters, since Ken Hensley is involved and they mentioned extra tracks.

Wuther likes this.
  21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Not necessarily. See Ziggy Stardust and The Beatles new mono releases. It can be done, at least to apples and oranges.

Wuther likes this.
  22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

So I guess someone needs to buy both cuts and compare. So far, those with the nrp cuts have chimed in, but the German reviewer must have had the optimal cut and his takes on the sonics were average at best.

23. Any suggestions on Look at Yourself on CD? It's an album I've always wanted to add to my digital library. Great album

24. Claus

Claus Senior Member Thread Starter

SHM-SACD is the best IMO

haastilecreation likes this.
  25. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

The early Japanese "Metalmania" series issue is very good. I recommend it.

haastilecreation likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.