US Customs destroys lifetime 1600 vinyl collection!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hammondjake, Apr 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hammondjake

hammondjake Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

3. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

US Customs having a pop at a Garidanu scribbler and collector
    Its almost impossible to ship to the US now, my Fed Ex mans says, 30 pages of paperwork....
    Why ,bombs ?

4. Since my immediate reaction would probably earn me a visit from the Secret Service, I'll say nothing about what I'd like to see happen to the Customs agents responsible for this. :realmad:

5. Scary stuff.

6. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

I brought the best of my collection with me from the States 20 years back, and sweated a bit, but all went well. I have heard of big collections being seized.

Like they couldn't let the vinyl records and books sit until the paperwork was sorted?
    I'm sorry, I'm not buying that. I worked for DHL for awhile and chased stuff passing through Customs.

This was protectionism; marketplace, not bombs.

7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I see the writer is now in Glastonbury not Arizona now - not the best climate for vinyl I would have thought? Is it fear of terrorism or trade protectionism?. What sort of state run organisation would destroy stuff so hastily? Perhaps someone decided to help themselves to a nice pile of vinyl and are covering up. About time America lifted this oppressive regime. I won't be visiting USA until 'normal' civilised behaviour resumes. Of course UK customs are the opposite extreme - let anything and everybody in.

8. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Why would the US Customs destroy LP's??? Why could they not wait for the paper work to be set? Scary story. Just hope the guy will have some luck in building up a collection again. Seems like he had some very nice friends to give him a good start.

9. Strange story, I moved my collection many times in and out of the US - not sure we're getting the whole story here.

10. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

11. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Australia Post still slugs us with an additional fee for 'security' introduced just after the scare with the toner cartridges found on that aircraft luggage. It was supposed to be temporary but is now a permanent charge for all parcels from Australia to USA over 500g. And that is ON TOP OFF the already exorbitant charges to ship to USA! They have never yet 100% satisfactorily explained WHAT this 'security surcharge' is for.

"Articles over 500g and all ECI and EPI services will be subject to an additional $9 security surcharge and may face transit delays of up to 48 hours."

12. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Possibly paranoia?

13. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

So sorry, this deserves a R.I.P. to the collection

14. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

maybe they were supposed to burn the marijuana but were too high to notice their error

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.