USPS Tracking - what are your current experiences?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by George P, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Wow seriously **** the USPS. My item's tracking finally updated. Just to put this in perspective - I live in Madison, WI. MusicDirect is in Chicago, IL. My package is currently somewhere in Pennsylvania. I cannot believe this.

rob68 likes this.
  2. George P

George P Forum Pianophile Thread Starter

Sorry to hear that!

Due to my impatience, I always order at least $99 from Music Direct (or Acoustic Sounds) and get their FedEx. It gives me a good excuse to buy a lot of stuff and in return I get the piece if mind of knowing my package will arrive in two days, on time.

3. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

That's only 3 days - that's nothing!
    I had to wait three WEEKS before the seller would admit to the item being lost.

4. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

If it went Media Mail, it could take one to two weeks. It's the slowest, cheapest service for a reason.

5. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I was surprised because shipping it to Pennsylvania would take longer than shipping it ~145 miles north.

6. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i agree with you, but that's really not what it's all about. it's about loads, routes, flights, etc. if you ship via cheap methods, carriers will either let it sit at a location until there's enough other packages to move it or they will add it to existing loads and bop up and down and all around the map. it also depends on where the nearest "main" facilities are sometimes. they all do it; especially the USPS.

7. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

One thing to keep in mind about pre-shipment is that when the item is dropped off at the post office (rather than scanned at the counter), there is zero guarantee that it will be scanned before commencing its journey *. I found this out last week. I dropped off an album that I sold at the post office near my work because I was off to a meeting and didn't have time to wait in line. I happened to check status on Wednesday morning and was concerned that it wasn't showing as accepted. By the time I went in later that day, the package showed accepted at my HOME post office on that day, not on the date two days previous when I actually dropped it off!?!? On top of that, my home post office is not a hub and the package really had no business going anywhere near there. It's irritating because the tracking history makes me look like a flake.

Regardless, it was finally delivered yesterday, 10 days after I dropped it off.

I'm still a supporter of USPS because 99% of the time they do what they promise and do it pretty darned well. But it's situations like this that make me go :confused:

* This is what I learned when I checked a couple days after dropping off the package. Something along the lines of "we could never scan in EVERYTHING that is dropped off."

8. rob68

rob68 Forum Resident

Everything goes to Pittsburgh! Crazy. I sent a first-class package from Michigan to California on October 1st. Went EAST to Pittsburgh on October 3rd. Has said nothing but IN TRANSIT ever since. 9 days. First-class...supposed to take 3 days. :realmad:

Time Is On My Side likes this.