Utopia (tv series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Jul 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any fans of this cult Brit TV series? It's a very stylish and stylized conspiracy drama/black comedy, underpinned by a scifi-ish premise. It really is beautifully shot even using a movie widescreen aspect ratio of 2.35 and the mystery and action is well executed.

As with most Brit series, the seasons are short - 6 eps. Series one aired last year, and series two is out now. The first ep of series 2 continues the arty theme by being presented trough a film frame window in 1:1 aspect ratio. While it may seem a little gimmicky, it works in the sense that the ep is concerned with past events (1970s) which lead to the events shown in series 1.

Anyway, this show is a cut above the rest and well worth checking out.

2. :goodie:Wow! Finished watching the second episode of series 2. Now there's a green bag too!

Seriously, this was my favorite series of 2013. Hi-def is the only way to watch this, but unfortunately there's only a region locked blu from the UK.

I think the 6 episode series length is perfect. Keeps the quality high and makes everything more intense.

3. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Just recently finished watching season 1 on Space (Canada) in a marathon broadcast.

Wow. Very entertaining and unique. Most interesting series I've seen in a while.

It is being adapted for HBO apparently.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  4. Deesky

Scott222C likes this.
  5. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

See also "Bron/the Bridge"

6. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

From the amount of traffic in this thread, it doesn't seem like too many people are aware of the series, or have access to it.

Also, looks like Utopia has not be renewed for a 3rd season :(

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r.../13/utopia-cancelled-david-fincher-hbo-remake

Well, if HBO can do a good job and take us further, good for them.

7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I just blew through both seasons in a week. Wow! One of the best series I've seen in a very long time. I usually don't care much about shows getting canned, but this one really hurt.

8. Deesky

I agree. I think series two may have lost a little momentum compared to the excellent series 1, but was worth pucking up IMO. Alas, the ratings weren't great - too 'culty' I'd guess.

9. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

No doubt the first series was stronger overall, I think because the pacing was a bit more intense and many of the large mysteries/conspiracies were solved by the time the second one got rolling. I would have loved even just a brief wrap up since there wasn't much left.

With David Fincher directing the entire thing (and not some hype like an EP credit) with his dark and despondent style it has a chance to be very good. But I don't think it will come close to the UK; that was about as close to perfection in television I've seen in recent memory and it looked gorgeous in HD (the highly over saturated color even suited its aesthetic). I hope it will generate some interest or sales of the DVD/BD UK series once the US has aired, but doubtful it will have any impact on whether they make a series three.

10. Deesky

Yes that and the movie-like 2.35 aspect ratio. I notice that Syfy's Ascension appears to have adopted a similar color aesthetic (if not the super widescreen aspect).

11. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I will have to check out Ascension.

Also can't forget about Utopia's crazy soundtrack, that really added to intensity.

12. Deesky

I still haven't watched it, but from what I have seem, I can almost certainly say it will be nowhere near its league.

Yes, totally awesome and psychologically atmospheric. A perfect fit with the visuals and story.

13. starfieldroad

starfieldroad chew up your love then swallow

This is a tremendously talented production doing groundbreaking television work -- considering season 1, I've not seen the next season.

seasons 1,2 and bundled DVDs as well as the soundtrack CD are available from Amazon UK, quite reasonably priced.

14. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Ascension was laughable drek.

Why the remake? Evidently because a lot of stupid 'Muricans just can't fathom a British accent. Either that or it's a helluva lot cheaper and easier to redo a British production than come up with something original. Or both.

15. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I saw Series 1 in a few installments on Netflix! Great series! The feel and themes are truly 'modern' and the violence is sudden and unexpected. The best thing I've seen this year!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.