Van Halen reissues 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Feb 6, 2015.

1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

So overall, how's this new live album? Should I?

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

You probably ought to listen to clips to make sure you even like the performance first.

Zep Fan and rstamberg like this.
  3. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

rstamberg likes this.
  4. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

These sound better than those but not by a lot. The high end is less harsh.

5. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

I for one am enjoying the hell out of it! I love the "Live At Leeds" type mix too, with guitar in the right channel and bass in the left. It sounds just like how VH used to sound live back in '78 - '84 to me, with the exception of Anthony's backing vocals being absent.

scottp and rstamberg like this.
  6. Chauncey

Chauncey Forum Resident

The new 192/24 versions sound better than the previous versions that were on HDTracks, IMO. They are less harsh on the highs and have better bass. I like the EQ on these new versions more than the 2013 versions.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  7. Mij Retrac

I did a very quick comparison to my VH DCC gold CD and I like the EQ on the DCC better but the bass and bass drum sound cleaner and tighter on the new 24/192 version.

I am listening to VHII now and so far this has been the best sounding of the bunch.

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That the last CD remasters having HDCD is the main reason I will get the new remasters, save the first one, as Hoffman already did an excellent job of it on DCC. He even left the tape hiss between the tracks in. How much closer can you get to the final mixes than that?

I could download them, but, these days, i'm looking at expenses.

9. Grant

The new live album is on Warner Brothers.

10. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Why on earth didn't Bellman add more bass to 1984? i would have liked some more.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  11. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I thought they'd quit Warner Bros. For Interscope. What the hell, maybe it's good for 'em to go back ... now, Michael Anthony ...

12. Mij Retrac

Warner didn't loose their right to the catalog they lost their rights to have that version of the albums available (like oops CDs or records etc)

Grant likes this.
  13. Mij Retrac

I agree, many if the albums could use some more bass but that one is the one in most desperate need of it. I think it would require a remix to make it sound the way it should unfortunately.

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

15. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

I was very skeptical of the live album based on the snippets I'd heard, but I gave it a chance anyway and boy am I glad I did. It rocks! Yeah, Roth isn't perfect, but when listened to in the context of the entire album, it works. A bunch of my friends have said the same thing. I'd say give it a shot.

16. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

In listening to my Japan target CD, I don't hear a glitch at either of those marks in Jump.

Anyone ever notice what sounds like a keyboard flub in the fade at 3:57 when he hits the first high F chord?

evh5150 likes this.
  17. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

One itty bitty question here about the 2015 HiRes download of the 3rd album Women and Children First....

Does the "hidden" short 15 second untitled instrumental track at the end of the album (sometimes referred to as "Growth") after In A Simple Rhyme feature the fade out (as on original pressings on vinyl and the recent 2013 vinyl reissue) or is it the complete version with the hard stop as on all CD releases.

supernaut and Panama Jack like this.
  18. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

The more I think about it, all of this has currently soured me from buying this set. WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO DO THIS MUCH DETECTIVE WORK when purchasing hi-rez music at these prices.

Its just flat out ridiculous to have a different mastering for 192 and 96. There are only 2 possible explanations:

1. Its on purpose for some bizarre reason they chose to have 192 be the true hi-rez master. If this is the case its passive aggressive extortion and I wont be coerced into an $30'sh dollars
    2. There is the possibility that this is a mistake and HD Tracks were sent the wrong 24/96 master? Maybe they got the one prepared for CD-itunes by mistake?

evh5150 and Panama Jack like this.
  19. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I listened to the HDCD version through Soundforge and didn't hear (or see) any glitch at those marks either.

That's always been there. I never noticed it on my original vinyl until I bought the original CD release and heard it there. When I went back and listened carefully, I did pick it up on the record too.

20. Mij Retrac

This was mentioned earlier and knowing that Chris Bellman remastered these I would bet that this was what was done by mistake.

21. Mij Retrac

I think these glitches are new and my assumption is that these remasters are from the original unEQd two track masters where all the others are from the EQd masters. Only an assumption but probably the explanation.

John Bliss and Grant like this.
  22. Grant

I was not impressed with the hi-rez versions previously on HD Tracks. They didn't sound any better than the CDs I had.

23. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

I'm shocked that the org-master for 1984 is in such a bad condition. I don't understand why that is. Previous mastering-work has been done from the vinyl-masters. Theses should be shot not the org-masters.

It's plausable that these are socalled sticky-tapes not baked properly in the past.

24. Mij Retrac

Your talking like they are beat to hell. There are like three small issues (two on one track) it's not like every song has several issues.

25. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

No, not that bad but i just wonder why they are not perfect, that's all.
    There are tapes from the 60's and 70's in 100% perfect condition. These are from 1983 which is not that old.