Van Morrison Alternative Moondance

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gordon Johnson, Apr 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident Thread Starter

I noticed a few posts along with mine that appear in the RSD 2018 thread in which the record is praised.

I have found this pressing so good I think it deserves a thread of its own.
    Would be interested in how others hear this album.

For me a lot of praise for Chris Bellman is due, thank you so much Chris [if your reading this of course, maybe I should drop a line to the mastering studio?]

It is records like this that make me so pleased I bothered to stick with vinyl as my main playback set up and bothered to invest in the set up.

It is a joy to listen to, I don't hear my system, I don't have questions in my head like "maybe I could swap this or that out", or " I wonder what the chain is".
    Simply a record, music playback as it should be.

Couldn't want for more :righton:

ArneW, mrzpliff, hodgo and 7 others like this.
  2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

What do you mean by alternative Moondance?

3. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

This is a RSD LP, released yesterday, that features alternative takes of the track list and includes a take of 'I Shall Sing' in place of 'Everyone' on side 2.

Alan2, dee and Gordon Johnson like this.
  4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

It's mostly alternate takes from the 2013 deluxe edition on CD. The exceptions are "And It Stoned Me" and "Crazy Love" which are previously unreleased version. Haven't had a chance to listen to mine. Listening to the Sundays right now. I got too much stuff to listen to. I wasn't going to get the Alternate Moondance, then I read the Hype sticker with Bellman's name on it and changed my mind.

5. vinylontubes

Ok I'm listening to right now. A Brand New Day is amazing. The entire LP sounds spectacular, I really like the A Brand New Day. Bellman did a great job cutting the lacquer. I Shall Sing of caught me off guard, it's a ska song with full horn section. It's good, but, Everyone fits the mood of the album better, but, I guess an alternate version of an album needs something different, I'm cool with it.

6. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Crazy Love without backing vocals is an interesting listen. Allows you to hear more of the nice instrumental intricacies.

Overall, I think it's an album I'm going to listen to a lot. For artists who have quality outtakes like this in the can, I'd be happy to see more of these types of albums released.

JCLSDL, dee, Rickchick and 1 other person like this.
  7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I declined to pick this up as I have the box set. Hearing there are two unreleased mixes is kind of sore though, but you gotta draw the line somewhere.

8. Gordon Johnson

I have to agree with that but I'll add that the album is presented so well that it is must have imo regardless of having the box set or not.

hodgo, jumpinjulian, dee and 3 others like this.
  9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Art Garfunkel had a minor hit with the song a few years later.

10. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

It's freaking fantastic!

11. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Thanks for clarifying / I was wondering if we already had these alternates or not.

12. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I didn't go looking for this because I have that Moondance deluxe set he put out and thought I had all the takes already. Will have to get a copy now.

dee and jeff kleinberg like this.
  13. vinylontubes

I just wasn't expecting as many horns. It sounds like something that would have fit in better with His Band and Street Choir.

14. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

I’ve listened to this album twice now and have reaffirmed my initial impression. I feel side one is interesting to hear as a kind of experiment, comparing what you know so well while listening to it from a different angle. For me, Caravan was jarring, glad Van didn’t settle with this version. Crazy Love with no backup singers was odd too, good choice to add them in.

Side 2 has more going on, I enjoyed each song on side 2 and can see myself listening to it each time I play my regular copy.

All the comments about the sound quality for this version are warranted as it does sound nice, but you owe it to yourself to seek out a Kevin Gray copy of the regular Moondance. It is on another level sonically, no need to try and describe it, just go get it!

15. dee

dee Senior Member

I got hosed on the price for this title @34.99 but it had been a long morning and week and I wanted it so I paid for it. There was a 10 for a dollar sidewalk sale that I got a few good things to even it out. Some of the takes were not my favorite alt takes, but I can't hardly wait to listen to this album. I thought SQ would be all over the place between some tracks, but I am reading so many + things about the vinyl I am so excited to give it a listen. Very pleased to read the Crazy Love remix includes no backing vocals apparently, as does the take they used of Brand New Day.

16. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

I second the comment about the Kevin Gray / Steve Hoffman Moondance. I consider it to be one of the best sounding albums I own...and I own a few.

jumpinjulian, moonshiner and draden1 like this.
  17. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Very glad to have this.

A real nice companion disc to the official LP.

Steel Woole, MarkO and Headfone like this.
  18. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Thank you I did not know this. Was a real gem in the box set. Will be looking for Arts version

19. Gordon Johnson

I have the Gray / Hoffman album. This is not about some sort of comparison though, as this is an alt take of the album.

Its not a case of analogue / digital either. When albums sound this good that becomes an irrelevent point, for me anyway.

Its refreshing to hear alt takes and the album works so well because of Bellman's work.

Anyone know the pressing plant?

Rickchick likes this.
  20. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

That's the best reissue I own

21. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I think the choice is whether you want these selections on vinyl or CD.

jeff kleinberg likes this.
  22. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Rickchick likes this.
  23. I found a copy last Saturday, but in the end decided to pick up Fleetwood Mac's Alternate Tango In The Night (as well as the Kinks and Neil Young titles) instead. Maybe I should have picked this one up anyway.

24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yup.

25. Gordon Johnson

Though completely different albums and the Gray / Hoffman re-master of Moondance has numerous threads /comments elsewhere on the forum ..................

I did spin it again today on the now settled new set up and it is good, very good. But that's enough of that, back to the Alternative album :)

Headfone likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.